• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Tomato clown is a bad choice, IMHO. Inevitably, everyone wants to get a mate for their clown and two tomato clowns (they get 5" or so!) is just way too much for that tank. If you really want clowns, get an ocellaris pair. When they're mature, they can and will breed in a small tank. Tomato clowns won't.

Unfortunately, none of the "easy" host anemones naturally host A. percula or A. ocellaris. If you do get one, go with an Entacmaea quadricolor or Macrodactyla doreensis. Better yet, go with a large Xenia or frogspawn colony. I can't guarantee the clowns will host in it. Whatever clown you get, they really should be fed every day.

If you do decide to go with sygnathids, I suggest ya skim heavily, and have some type of animal that will clean up leftovers (brittle stars are great for this).

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect advice, appreciate it. Didn't know they got that large, that is indeed too big for my intentions. There are some of Nathan Paden's captive-bred ocellaris at High_tech aquarium which are just as pretty, it was just that striking finnage and coloration of the tomato that caught my eye. A giant pulsing xenia colony sounds nice as well, have seen pics around here where some clowns were hosting in them. Hopefully these juvenile ocellaris will take up to a xeniid colony if it is the only soft/wavy thing to choose. I remember your mention of hosting in a koosh ball@! The HQI should pulse the xenia well so that also sounds like an attractive setup. Thanks for the tips guys.

B

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: