• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Found this at the LFS today, and had to buy it. It's glass, with bowed corners, and best of all, no braces. Makes for a nice clean look if you're going open topped. These come in a variety of sizes, but unfortunately I have no idea who makes them. This one is around 6 gallons. It's also in cm dimensions, so I think it's a Euro or overseas made tank. They also threw in a copy of the CORAL magazine, nano edition, for free! Total $20.

Attachments

• dscn3970.jpg
    dscn3970.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 2,998
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt, can you get more info from them on this? I'd like to carry them in my shop...

Thanks bud!

Peace,

Chip

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try getting their supplier or something Chip. They said they got shipped, stacked one inside of another, like those little Russian dolls that have a smaller one inside, ad infinitum. They said they got 6 total. I put water in the thing last night, no leaks! So I'm happy with it.

Apparently they come in somewhat larger sizes, but I don't know how big they go. I know there was one that looked about 15 g when I was there, this one fits 6.

hillbilly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, I just love those Euro type tanks. They are so clean looking. It's about time someone started shipping some to the US. I hope they catch on.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt_Wandell":13ad3fsj said:
I'll try getting their supplier or something Chip..

Thanks bud...it'd be much appreciated.

Peace,

Chip

fishfanatic2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt_Wandell":fb0arjva said:
I'll try getting their supplier or something Chip. They said they got shipped, stacked one inside of another, like those little Russian dolls that have a smaller one inside, ad infinitum. They said they got 6 total. I put water in the thing last night, no leaks! So I'm happy with it.

Apparently they come in somewhat larger sizes, but I don't know how big they go. I know there was one that looked about 15 g when I was there, this one fits 6.

Whats goin in it? :wink: :D

adinsxq

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi, i have the same tank. yes they come in a 10g, 6g, 3g, 1.5g, and 0.5g size.

if i remember correctly..
10g 23.5 x 8.5 x 12
6g 17.5 x 8 x 10
3g 12 x 7.5 x 7.5
1.5g 9 x 6 x 7
1g 7 x 5.5 x 5.5

Attachments

• planted9-21-1.jpg
    planted9-21-1.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 2,923

adinsxq

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and finally the nanoreef (sorry didn't mean to hijack your thread)

Attachments

• july1.jpg
    july1.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 2,913
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
adinsxq":2io9ve53 said:
and finally the nanoreef (sorry didn't mean to hijack your thread)

Not at all, I intended for this thread to be about this particular type of tank, and your tanks show it off very well. I think it's such a great design if you have an open topped tank, to not have to look at an ugly, useless brace. That planted one is awesome looking!

Yup, those are the same ones. So do you have any idea where they come from? I should be able to find out on Monday...

BTW, I picked up the 10 gallon yesterday, I think I'll put them back to back and have a main tank/fuge thing going on. Right now I'm planning a pair of Blue striped pipefish, maybe a pair of Harlequin shrimp, and definitely SPS corals. I miss the colors! :D

adinsxq

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
snoopy":3l2iiyeb said:
how's it look from the corner angle? does the curve distort it a lot or not?
Matt, their an Asian import (I'm not exactly sure where from). The distributor was at last year's SuperZoo convention in Anaheim but I cannot remember a name. I toyed with the idea of turning the 6 into a nano but before I knew it summer ended and I junked in some fw plants. One of those AB 16" mini aquaspacelights would look awsome over your 10 (do it and you'll be my hero!). Distortion in the bends is more than you'd find in a bent acrylic tank, but the front surface is not bowed. The edges of the glass is also rounded out too (no ouchies). For what it's worth, the back of the 6 is not tempered (I sent one all the way to my NR buddy, Fant in PA, who popped a couple holes in the back for a closed loop on a nanoreef). I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with yours; I have a 10 as well (empty in the closet).

P.S. I'll never again own a closed-top tank :x

Attachments

• adinsxq7.jpg
    adinsxq7.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 2,878
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
adinsxq":3i5mudc8 said:
snoopy":3i5mudc8 said:
how's it look from the corner angle? does the curve distort it a lot or not?
Matt, their an Asian import (I'm not exactly sure where from). The distributor was at last year's SuperZoo convention in Anaheim but I cannot remember a name. I toyed with the idea of turning the 6 into a nano but before I knew it summer ended and I junked in some fw plants. One of those AB 16" mini aquaspacelights would look awsome over your 10 (do it and you'll be my hero!). Distortion in the bends is more than you'd find in a bent acrylic tank, but the front surface is not bowed. The edges of the glass is also rounded out too (no ouchies). For what it's worth, the back of the 6 is not tempered (I sent one all the way to my NR buddy, Fant in PA, who popped a couple holes in the back for a closed loop on a nanoreef). I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with yours; I have a 10 as well (empty in the closet).

P.S. I'll never again own a closed-top tank :x

This, my friend, is exactly what I wanted to hear. I assume the 10 is untempered as well then, because I'm going to be cutting it.

I'm throwing a 96W PC over the 10 for right now, it has a few months left in it. When it runs out, I think I'll be getting one of the new 70W IceCap DE MH Mogul socket pendants. I hope that makes me your hero still. Your tanks are very nice and clean looking!

tinyreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the pic, adin. damn! there's hardly any distortion there. very nice! i'm kinda pissed i didn't wait for that tank or the small aga bows that are out now.

and people wonder why good nanos get torn down so often? it's because of these new tanks coming out every year or so. i've been quietly self-debating on my office tank (2-years now). arrrgh!

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt, neat thread and a great find on your new nano! I have purchased a new 16g nano (finally room for marine fish in this one) and was interested in pipefish as well but don't know much about them. Do they have this throughput-gut thing going on like seahorses where they have to be fed twice a day> if so, I'm not interested in that type of feeding maintenance. I was looking for something as exotic-looking but maybe a little more accepting of 3-4 times fed weekly with some type of frozen entree...

b429

tinyreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
brandon,
how about rigging up two or more auto feeders to release compartments of mysis or amphipods?

hook up the axle of the feeders to floaters. the floaters or cages can be like paddles on a water mill. they could then release fry/feed into the water column as they turn/spin around. kinda like a time release refugium.

utilizing the cycles of the autofeeders (hagen's complete turning autofeeder would probably be better suited than the incremental ones) so they release immediately. but you could also fashion staggering options, i guess. the trick would be the diy connection of the axle and the floaters (hospital/QT floater).

still a fair amount of work to re-load them daily and hold/brood the feeds. not cheap but if you stagger the starts (battery insertions) then you could get a cheap feeder. i figure 2~4 would be necessary to cover the daylight hunting period. if you're concerned about dispersion you could set the feeders in an empty hob and they would drift outwards.

it's waaay too much diy for me but i figure you can do it. :wink: i'm too lazy to even brood brine shrimp. :P

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they do have the incomplete gut like seahorses. Need to be fed very often as well.

If you're looking for something on the feeding schedule you said, a Liopropoma basslet would be ideal, 3 x a week would be fine. You can keep them in open topped tanks as well. Most of the other fish I can think of off the top o' me head right now need to be fed daily or more.

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rcsheng, that is impeccably well thought out Sir. I am in the process if setting up the new system now, and your ideas on an autofeed refugium might help it become a low-maintenenance exotic system in the near future. You had me thinking that some kind of auto delivery from a 5g copepod aquarium could mean simple, regular feedings. I would actually order starter gammarus/amphi/copepod kits for example from IPSF and feed them regularly on sinking morsel pellet food (easy) and contact you for details on a non-injurious delivery method. Let me hold on to that raincheck, I fear impending laziness and the advent of a rather simple soft coral reef nano if things go in the typical fashion :)

Matt, that is good to know and pictures of that fish you mentioned turned out to be very interesting. Good colors and behavior apparently. What about a small tomato clown? How often then--I'm hoping for a cyclopeeze/flake food diet and leave him picking around for leftovers the other few days. I wanted an anemone also (because my nano is larger, 16g, and I'm going with the Coralife 150 HQI) and am prepared to deal with the additional silverside/bioloading issue so I'm hoping all this amounts to a well-fed fish if all goes well. Initially I was aiming for a small tomato clown, neon and cherry head goby unless we totally change tracks and go with the now-appealing sygnathid display.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: