• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks brutha! Now for another question to you who have used skimmers, how can I get one on this reef? Better yet, how can I modify one to hang over the side and not have to be drilled...

I have realized that gallon-pico reef setups have totally spoiled me in terms of water changes, I do not like keeping non-skimmed Nano setups and relying on changes to export them, waaaay to much work. I have not appreciated, in the least, having to cart around 3 five gallon water jugs of SW to compensate for my lack of skimming, relative bioloading and water change preferences.

Though nitrate testing shows an acceptable max buildup over my water change period (dip strips, maybe not the most accurate but at least an indicator) I can still guage systemic impact of nitrogen by watching my algal communities rise and fall. For the first time, I have had somewhat persistent hair algae patches spring up and this has always been an indicator of a down-hill trend in my previous pico experiements. Ive learned to accept brown algae, diatoms and even hitchhiker macros as acceptable cycling plant growth but never that dastardly green filamentous hair algae. In my opinion, one has not cared for systemic nitrogen and incoming hitchhiker strands if they see this blooming community, and now I'm in this boat on a two month old reef!!!

So, I am about to break more new ground for myself by using a skimmer. Currently I have removed my fish, (back to coral only and light water chagnes) and feed very lightly now. Removed feather dusters as well... I am wanting to bend a standard 3-inch wide, two-foot long acrylic strip into a 90 degree angle and lip it onto the mouth of the reef. This should create a place to install a HOB skimmer which will now be spaced about one foot from the mouth of the system...I know its confusing so I'll post a drawing of it. the point is, the bowl is curved and a skimmer would be heavily tilted if placed on the mouth of the system...will this work or will it affect draw and return of the skimmer? How about extending the intake and output tubes of a certain brand so they will reach the new distance afforded by the acrylic arm..? Thanks for your suggestions guys

B

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's going to be really tough to implement. Ever think about DIY'ng one and putting it in the center, INSIDE the tank? How wide is the hole at the top? You only need about a 3" diameter...

Then you could angle the lights diagonally from above into the center of the tank.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brandon..
It would actually be very simple to do this. Just get a piece of 2" diameter clear acrylic tubing and have it cut to the length of the height of the tank. Then you could build your rockwork around it by drilling holes in it, use some zip ties/epoxy etc. and it would hide the skimmer quite nicely.

I'm actually very interested in this idea. I could build this skimmer for you if you send me specs of your tank.

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'd like that, and I am also happy to pay for supplies and effort! (Just ask Techno, I shipped him a cold twenty for his nano mag :)

Those Berlin airlift skimmers work like that, and I wouldn't mind an internal mount if it saves water changes. The thing I didn't like was the airstone driven setup, tends to clog etc... I am looking for a powerhead driven setup, what iare they called turbine wheels or 16-blade somethings?

Would a standard prism skimmer work if it was sitting perfectly upright? I do think it will come down to me having it built by a savvy individual, we'll get in touch Sir. Thanks

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually powerhead driven skimmers are called venturi or sometimes downdraft skimmers. You may have heard the term needle wheel impeller thrown around as well when folks are talking about a EuroReef. All these would be nice but difficult to implement in your particular setup. I guess if you don't mind having a Maxijet 1200 sticking out into your tank it's not a big deal though.

As far as clogging, yeah they need to be replaced every couple months or so. But they do produce nice small bubbles. You may have seen my "$10 DIY skimmer" thread. That thing worked great.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: