• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to discuss in this thread some of the interesting dynamics associated with keeping nano reefs in odd-shaped containers. One might choose odd containers due to accessibility, price, appeal, or to try something new but the end result (if worked successfully) is always an increased understanding of nano-reef dynamics and more stable subsequent setups. This sort of experimentation builds confidence in the nano reef aquarist, removes the mystery out of nano reef abilities, and can be conducted in a responsible manner using aquacultured items that may be of signficant cost but bear no toll on non-renewable resources. The ethics associated with nano reef experimentation is a valid and completely different thread, so hopefully this focus is more directed to those who choose to take the leap for one reason or another.

Perhaps the best way to build a nano reef in an odd or small container is to fill the aquarium with water, a chosen circulation method (pump or air) live rock and sand (sand is optional) and allow the evaporation rates to become evident. I wouldn't choose especially-encrusted LR specimens for fear of initial dieoff, but a few chunks of established reef LR will get the system ready quickly for small corals frags after the balances have been established. Alter and record as many variables as you can predict; nanos and picos sometimes need to be fanned (for ex.) so try one and see how much the evaporation rate/oxygenation rate changes. You can experiment with lidded or open setups, assess topoff requirements and make changes that will directly alter the oxygenation and evaporation rates for a given pico or nano reef. Once the system can be predicted and balanced within tight clearances (i.e no more than a .003 salinity shift at any interval and +/- 3 deg Farenheit temp shift) for two weeks it can then be stocked with hardy coral frags and some motile inverts.

Pay particular attention to the neck or water/air interface of vase-type containers--hourglass shapes in this area have considerable effect on evaporation and oxygenation rates. Even allowing the water level to fluctuate up or down in certain shapes (not filling the water level to the exact same spot in the neck area each water change) changes the forecasted evaporation rate for a given time interval; simply put, you may memorize a 1.023 to 1.025 rise in specific gravity between a four day span set to one mark on the neck of the vase, but you drop that water line 1/2'' on the next water change and you now have a faster-evaporating water volume that will get you if you go the same four days without testing specific gravity! Divergent neck areas below the 'pinch' area of the hourglass shape in vase type bowls seem to impart logarithmic-type evaporation rates, apparently the water level evaporates and moves down it expanding the surface area at an increasing rate when compared to the 'pinch' area water line flux that maintains tighter control over the working surface area for a given time interval.

Reefbowl is actually a fitting name for the device featured below, based on design parameters, as goldfish bowl is also an accurate description of that kind of setup. How odd that a reef is actually able to run like a goldfish bowl...it turns out that limiting the fish bioloading relative to the water volume preserves the system chemistry plenty long enough to avoid being a water-change hassle (nitrate clearance) or an oxygenation issue.

--For starters, you can find an exact setup here www.naturesocean.com
About $189 for tank and stand IIRC> beware they are the most scratch-sequestering acrylic beasts on the planet, don't even breathe on them. Just hope your LR structure never tips over and lands on the side of the inner wall...

--I built a PVC support structure, a spire, out of 1/2 pipe some three-ways and 4 90's. Can diagram that if necessary. The end result is a middle pole sticking up two feet inside the sphere and all LR boulders are drilled through the middle and stacked on the support pole> guaranteed no shift! The end result is a tall reef structure jutting up with no side support--just a different way to layout an aquascape. The rest can be packed with LS or LR rubble to hide the existing support network. Some interesting features of this tank:

--Magnification is amazing. Around the equator of the tank a 3" coral-banded shrimp appears the size of your hand. Crisp detail is evident from all sides for the eye but not the camera.

--Juvenile ocellaris looks 5+ years old in the middle and 5 weeks old on the upper hemishpere!

--Cannot be photographed without terrible distortions--a major holdup to decent photography of this reef.

--evaporation rate appears to be on a log scale rather than linear; for example, when filled to top the shift is .003 every four-five days but when filled 80% full it's .003 every two and that's as far as I've tested it. Apparently the evaporating water line travels down the sphere, towards the bottom, and gains surface area for each incremental decline thereby evaporating (and oxygenating) faster. Early malpredictions here caused me to jack up the salinity up to .029 once while away and this killed some of my animals. hindsight...maybe it'll save some of you the headache.

--the website says its 16 gallon but is not--holds about nineteen or twenty before stocked.

--Tough to scrape for algae and diatoms--smallest shark magnet works well but only scrapes the outer edges which you have to clean every time because all algal accumulation builds up here. I recommend hand-cleaning it with a submerged papertowel.

--Not affected by windex, I spray it on there all the time. (no acrylic hazing)

--Currently I have a small CBS, three peppermints and a lysmata that all get along. Hope that doesn't change, they were at least all from the same display tank at the LFS> corals are frogspawn, torch and hammer along with xenia, palythoa and candy coral (caulastrea) and a Green star polyps (briareum) covered gorgonian. These are contradicting terms (GSP gorg)to those closely affiliated with taxonomy, but that's how it was marked in the LFS! I say this because true gorgonians and once-living-briareum-covered gorgonians aren't the same thing. May add SPS when the Coralife 150W HQI comes in...I am using three beautiful sabellid fanworms because it appears to me they eat cyclopeeze and may not be so hard to please. Accidental halving of a live fanworm during rearrangement once let out a cloud of previously-fed cyclopeeze which enticed me greatly--they are so colorful so I hope this may keep them alive better than previous attempts.

--red linkia star gets an underside full of cyclopeeze regularly--I can see him transporting it to the oral disk and ingesting it as he sticks to the side of the acrylic dome.

--Clownfish is accompanied by green clown goby-- two small fish in 18 gallons gives sufficent nitrate tolerance for the system in between bi-weekly changes.

--Not hard to heat and circulate-suction cupped powerhead and heater stick well to the upper back wall and are obscured by the curve.

--Circulation needs to transverse the system and not go round and round in it; I have observed that shooting the current along the curve of the globe creates tornadic activity in the setup where the perimeter of the current is violent and the exact center is rather still. Just aim the powerhead at the back of the rock and let it bounce off...

No matter what you choose for a substrate you won't be able to see much of it! The upper and lower 10% of the system is nearly 100% refracted out-of-sight, a tradeoff for reefing in a perfectly spherical aquarium. For that reason, I say go bare bottom and keep the detrital loading to a near zero. The raised PVC support system lets you stick a hose down into the lower region, keeping the bottom crystal clear of waste. pics:

Attachments

• rfbwl2.4.jpg
    rfbwl2.4.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 2,640
  • rfbwl2.3.jpg
    rfbwl2.3.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 2,641
  • rfbwl2.2.jpg
    rfbwl2.2.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 2,641

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no where near through stocking the RBII, this is one paycheck's worth contribution.

here are some updated pics of my other reef, the half-gallon stony coral setup. I included these updates because this is the epitome of an odd-shaped reef tank and it is one month shy of a year old. Check out that crusty coralline! Need to get that credit card out Matt... to recall this one houses frogspawn, torch (all single micro heads) and hammer coral x 2 individual heads. Houses a tiny CBS which has molted regularly but does not increase in size, been in the tank the whole time. very interesting that is, once again worthy of another thread to dicuss apparent size conformity in pico reef inverts. Also houses acropora, montipora and birdsnest frags all plating horizontally but not all that bright. hey, they are under one single 13w pc, what could I expect? In the beginning, this sealed tank posed no evaporation but has in time worn out the seal through constant lid-opening and now I have to top it off regularly. This system has an internal refugium to produce O and consume CO2, based on this design I am working on a 100% effective sealing system once mentioned in a previous Aquavase thread.

Attachments

• mini.5011mos.jpg
    mini.5011mos.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 2,629
  • mini.5gallon.jpg
    mini.5gallon.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 2,628
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely amazing Brandon. I want to see some more close up pics! I'm also curious how the MH light will refract through the top.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That reef bowl looks awsome. where did you find such a thing?

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys The makers of nature's ocean live sand are the same makers of this goldfish bowl/potential reef. These are just some throw-together lights to keep everything until I can drop 250 on a HQI setup, coming soon. Believe it or not, but this reef has already been killed once and restarted from these early pictures--from a variable I never thought could kill a larger nano reef. Ill get to that here in a sec, hopefully someone else can prevent the same mode-of-death to their hardwork and much-loved aquarium. At work...

wade1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like an awesome place to use one of the newer 150W flood lamp style MHs!! I bet if placed, pendant-style above it, you would get great light coverage. Of course, you might not be able to see into it well without a hood/screen, but thats the trade-off I guess.

Looks great.

Wade

Sugar Magnolia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you killed it? bummer. do tell.

the lfs in town has one of those set up as well. I be worried about knocking into it and toppling the whole thing. it is very cool though!

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wade I never thought of that... a blinding light that makes it tricky. Wow that makes me rethink some objectives. There's always a way, so I'll keep thinking, great point.

They are very heavy, have to be hit pretty hard to be knocked over. Mine is on carpet, unsupported, and is rather stable except for the SW drips getting into my padding.

I killed the reef by using once thawed out bloodworms in a trap to catch a rascal pseudochromis. I forgot they thawed, retrieved them from the freezer after a year, and in 8 hours the water was 100% cloudy with every organism dead except for the frogspawn! WHOA, mighty virulent aerobic bacteria in that tiny worm sample mind you... I wanted to puke but it looks better now after droppping a few more hundred...wont give up!

Thanks guys

B

wade1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about that!!

As for the MH, if you used a verticle tube style pendant (like you see in architectural arrangments) that cuts the sideways light down, I bet it'd work great. ie- like recessed lighting in the ceiling, but with a flood-lamp style MH bulb in it

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wade what is your take on the difference between a 20K bulb and a 10kbulb on those systems? if it would truly not affect growth and plating in the system I'd prefer the bluer. That 10K is crisper white and will be the ideal for any photosynthetic coral, but without actinic support I'll miss the flourescence.

The vase reef on the right was well-established at this point and the s.g. was only checked at water change interval, evaporation was that predictable at the pico reef level. Simply mark the rear of the neck with a sharpie and keep that water line matched with distilled water, nothing could be easier and the three day extension was decent maintenance freedom for a gallon reef.

Note how the water line is set to the upper part of the pinched neck portion. As natural evaporation rates carry the water line down the neck, the working surface area is relatively maintained throughout a 1/2'' or three-day span.

Attachments

• dcp_0028.jpg
    dcp_0028.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 2,533

wade1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I would go with the 10kK. You will not truly miss out on the flourescence, although your eyes might not see it as well. You could always do a moonlight for that purpose though. Some of the blue LED lamps really make fluorescent corals glow!

(FYI- I see better fluorescence under my Iwasaki than under the 10kK or 20kK when I scan around with a blue led)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brandon Ill say again or maybe the first time, you do have an amazing talent and creativity..I envy it...I really need to pick your brain one of these days...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B--
Re 10 vs 20K...

Steve Tyree was speaking at our reef club recently, and one of his main points was that he would go with a 20K bulb if limited to a single bulb. If given the option of two bulbs, he said a 6500K and 20000K OR 10000K and 20000K would be best, but that he would not go with a 10000K and 6500K combo. I think the difference is that 6500K and 10000K bulbs put out a considerable amount of higher frequency (purple) light that 20K bulbs don't, and 20K bulbs put out more blue. The intent is to get as full a spetrum as possible. Keep in mind he's a SPS farmer, and this might not apply to your particular tank.

wade1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are curious about the MH bulbs and their spectra:

http://lighting.reefs.org

And, BTW, more full spectra is evident in the lower K lights, not the higher. If you look closely, the 20kK bulbs usually have a very high spike of emissions or two, but little else. I would never run an sps tank under just 20kKs (I have issues with 10+20kK, although I have seen some tanks look pretty good under them).

My own tank I use 6500+20kK. I have awesome color and growth and no algae to speak of... if you were to compare my coral coloration with those of a buddy who has 10 and 20kKs... mine are brighter. Especially orange, pink, and yellow reflective corals.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that's a lot of information to absorb. *reads*

totally sweet. that is all.

Unarce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still find myself an advocate of 20K for SPS tanks. Perhaps, it's an isolated incident, but my SPS not only colored up more intensely, they even grew slightly faster after switching from 10K to 20K. The best looking SPS tanks that I've ever seen were under 20K's with actinic supplementation.

I certainly agree with wade, in that 'more full spectra is evident in the lower K lights', but what's the benefit to corals? They have little photosynthetic use of the yellow, orange, and green spectrum that's dominant in the warmer kelvin bulbs.

I know I've exhausted the use of research stating that photosynthetic energy in corals nearly ceases during the midday sun in nature, but it's these reasons that indicate the more natural 20K spectrum is far more healthier for corals.

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats such great information, both the referenced material and the observed info from the aquarists. I don't know much about the physics of spectral preference, so its nice to speak with those that do. Based on what I have seen in the local fish stores, I enjoy the blue 20K simply as a color preference but I was turned off by the fact pulsing xenia looked elongate and wavy under them- but pulsed heavily when transported to a pico directly under some 13w full-spectrums or when in other LFS tanks lit by 10K's. happened every time, sold as elongata but began pulsing after introduction to the less-blue light source. Completely a non-scientific leap to make I know, but that's where my kelvin temp questions originated.

Could have been older bulbs at the store or something like that...
Its nice to know reefnutz that your SPS work well under them. I can deal with various color morphs, if they'll lay down new structure that will be fine with me. I bet the blue lighting really brought out the colors well.

One other tradeoff to going with a 20K is reef-specific uses. if the globe reef ever crashes again it would be nice to have the option of making a rain forest or something out of it, and the 10K bulb is more beneficial across the photosynthetic range of terrestrial plants and non-reef animals.

The thought even crossed my mind at once to order sandstone off the net and build a desert overhang setting, with live cactus and some decent miniature reptiles of one sort or another. A 10K HQI setup can cover a range of ecosystems....

Appreciate it Nikon Matt and Wade.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: