• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Ok brandon, Id have to say, on this site you are the leading guy when it comes to picos..I have seen pics of your tank(s) before..mighty impressive..well as you know i have recently dove into this new world of pico keeping and I want you to show me and RDO's nano guys what your tanks look like again...mainly i want ideas for my tank..but i know me and Ricky have recently aquired this new craze in the less than a gallon deal, and i think it would be much appreciated if you could give us a hand...
my current set up (livestock wise) is one Neon goby and one dwarf hermit..LR and some calupera..and aragonite sand..(ill get pix as soon as i can, been hectic with the Waterfall fire/Carson City fire and all..see the sump forum for the pix and latest updates) but i need you Brandon for the Extreme Pico Makeover...

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll build up a new thread later on this evening (with mostly new pics) of some very aged and purple picos. I took many many snaps back in the day, we should have some interesting digital photographs floating around by the time this is all through. I am running out of ways to repost these old picos!

B

Attachments

• aaaafemtorefugium.jpg
    aaaafemtorefugium.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 4,216
  • reefcubeone.jpg
    reefcubeone.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 4,227

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here are some new pictures from days ago--haven't built a new pico design in over a year now. I just concentrate on the one mini75 sealed reef design and one freshwater pico paludarium that is planted and aquascaped at about 1/4 gallon (pics soon to the FW forum). At once, I have had up to 10 fw and sw systems running but in time have distilled down to two.

Notice in these pictures the way to build a pico algae magnet scraper, very very handy in the sub-gallon reef. You guys with the aquavases will love these----> they are made from rare earth magnets from radioshack, some green felt pads from rs, some epoxy from rs & some scissors to shape up the drying blob of epoxy into the shape of a miniature algae scraper.

Attachments

• picoalgaescraper.jpg
    picoalgaescraper.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 4,206
  • picoalgaescraper#2.jpg
    picoalgaescraper#2.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 4,210
  • picoalgaescraper#3.jpg
    picoalgaescraper#3.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 4,213

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
--

Attachments

• bettahex#1.jpg
    bettahex#1.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 4,189
  • mini75complete.jpg
    mini75complete.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 4,196
  • mini75hand.jpg
    mini75hand.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 4,198

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
--

Attachments

• sealedreefdesigns.jpg
    sealedreefdesigns.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 4,186
  • sealedreefdesigns#2.jpg
    sealedreefdesigns#2.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 4,182
  • gallonstonyreefs.jpg
    gallonstonyreefs.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 4,191

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thank the RDO admin for our posting abilities and bandwidth freedom.

This is my child learning how to work with Montipora in the reefbowl. I sent her with a live frag of it to school for show and tell, with some xenia as well. They took the bag out into the sun and watched the xenia heads move in the bag, first time many of them had seen live coral. I believe smear paint was the highlight of the day.

Attachments

• janrearmini75.2.jpg
    janrearmini75.2.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 4,177
  • placingmontiporahelper.jpg
    placingmontiporahelper.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 4,175
  • september2003rb.jpg
    september2003rb.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 4,229

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are some design plans that had eventual application in a working reef. I hypothesized one could observe true denitrification in a pico reef through gross exaggeration of water/sand/LR ratios given the space restriction (reefbowl drawing) but never got around to setting up a reefbowl with a working plenum. the idy was worth jotting down...

Attachments

• saltcreepillustration.jpg
    saltcreepillustration.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 4,159
  • 1aquavase design.jpg
    1aquavase design.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 4,160
  • graphm75jpeg.jpg
    graphm75jpeg.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 4,158
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are inspiring and helpful...I imagine that RDO admin thanx you for your support :D .... THis helps educate...

waterfaller1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow..is an understatement!I have never seen such gorgeous small tanks!You have my mind working...I have 2 -3 gal. eclipses sitting on a shelf,empty.Can you direct me to some other threads which explain filtration/lighting of small tanks like these?Incredible! 8)

primer

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok im kinda new to all this (what i know is what my dad though me) what is a nano and pico?

btw those are awsome i want one now just need to learn a lil more bout em

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
primer, it just means "really little tank" ... pico is loosely used as "uber little"

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a neat thread to post GD. Neat to see how the vote progressed over the last few months. I would amend my vote now, seeing as how we never refer to these small setups as atto reefs there'd be no reason to change it in favor of that. 2.5 on down are picos, anything on up to reasonable tank sizes are nanos.

The simplest way to understand pico reef design is to balance the waste production and the waste tolerance levels of any given setup. I figure anyone attempting pico reef setups have already kept larger ones and are familiar with temperature, current and salinity balancing requirements.

Those elements to do not change even down to the tiniest scale; the trick in the eye candy is to know that common LFS corals do not really count towards bioload, at least at the normal stocking density (# of polyps per square inch of LR surface area). Waste tolerance in a linear scale could best be defined as one end being imbalances in nitrite and ammonia, quickly lethal, to imbalances in nitrate and various compounds, slowly lethal. This end comprises the 'old tank syndrome' imbalances such as poor coral growth and heavy algal infestation.

Water changes are the key element in keeping your reef clean. Hardier corals can adapt to 75% changes or more on a weekly or bi-weekly basis, depending on waste productions in your design and the match of the change-water. Water change practice is among the basic skills any pico reef aquarist should have before attempting very small designs.

With that being said, consider taking a glass vase and filling it with two inches of live sand, several large chunks of LR to take up most of the space (this is the filtration component) and filling this up with saltwater and an airstone placed under the back of the wall, out of view. Find a lid from a garden store used to house vased lilies, thin plastic lid (very cheap) used to keep the lilies suspended in the neck of betta-bowl setups. Invert this and use it like a cover for the reefbowl. This helps condensation fall back into the tank, sitting on the inner diameter of the neck there is very little drip off the sides of the tank.

At this point, you have water balance, LR, Sand and temp control provided you have decent airconditioning or a fan. You'll see that the salinity raises from .024 to .026-7 within three days, at this point one should use distilled water to topoff a few ounces back to .024. So there that part is, salinity control in the gallon reef aquarium.

So the system is humming along, cycling towards the pico balance and you add a coral frag of some kind from the LFS. You start changing the water 20% bi-weekly to prepare for the reef regimen. Nothing changes, the frag does its thing and your system does the same. Add a few more, still no changes. Get some hermits or shrimps and watch them add diversity to the system, some macro etc. After some time in this state, you see small algae patches develop on the LR which tells you its time to scrub them with a firm toothbrush and increase water changes to 75% bi-weekly, the system is now balanced and can run indefinately at this point if the bioload does not increase.

This is the time to purchase liquid calcium and alkalinity dosing agents and begin use. Dosing frequency and intensity is a key design change to make if a practiced aquarist plans to keep stony corals in such a setup. Soft coral setups need the dosing too--helps to maintain pH stability and calcification in the tiny system that tends to accumulate bio-acids from waste degredation. Water changes can be used to replenish these elements and this is a common practice. Considering the acid production of the stocked and cycled system I feel it is much eaiser to dose on alternate days of the week and put off water changes for the weekly or bi-weekly maintenence. Changing the water any more often to keep the same ionic levels as the dosing (if that could even be achieved) is a lot more work than I want in a pico.

Any reefbowl setup that is not too densely stocked would be the cheapest, easiest, most stable pico reef anyone could have. The fragile nature of the decorative glass is the only setback. I recommend using green star polyps, mushrooms and small leather coral fragments as these are a staple of the aquarium homegrown trade and are of no impact to the environment. Cut them out as the grow, more grow back. I feel these design goals make widespread popularity of pico reefs socially palatable-- so I have no problem discussing the practice in public forums where potential first-time reef aquarists are reading up on the trade.

I can't remember any posts that specifically talked about the filtration, so I wrote you one here :)

Hope this helps, brandon429

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention that the reefbowl's lighting stand was $4.00 worth of 1/2 inch PVC and about 6 90-degree elbows, very easy to piece together a riser stand and use wood screw to mount any popular power compact lighting. Spray-painted the whole the black and padded it with black foam pipe insulation, now it was a sufficient custom apparatus.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: