• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

4Rings-O-Fury

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work apex... me likey. You're doing a good job son. :D

What's up Matt... How did you become a forum mod? You must spend good amount of time on the forums.

Edit: I forgot to add... That pic of you 2 is a classic, haha... :lol:

4Rings-O-Fury

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt_Wandell":2z850ps9 said:
Uh, who are you? :D

If you're thinking of the hott blond with the nice set of nanos... That wouldn't be me. :lol:

It's just me, Kenji. Checking up on what G has been up to these days. This forum is pretty cool.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, Kenji, what's up man? You a pro golfer yet? :D

Yeah this forum and site have a lot of info. Are you keeping a tank?

4Rings-O-Fury

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hardly a pro golfer but I'm still trying to play. How's is going over there? No tank as of right now, maybe sometime in the near future. At least I know were I can do some research and ask all kinds of noob questions. :)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Life is cool I spose. Enough leisure time to be chatting on the internet about fish tanks ;)

4Rings-O-Fury

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, cool… Your little mobile tank is pretty sweet. I checked out your other thread.

Sorry I hijacked your thread Apex. Now back to business. :wink:

HClH2OFish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex,
I found a tank that look very much like yours, except it has a built in skimmer/fuge type combo in the back. My LFS has em for $208 with light and pump...dunno if it's a good deal or not though and I *really* like the way your setup is looking.
Also, *where* did you get your eggcrate?? *MUST HAVE SOME* lol

Oh yeah, it's an 18gal model too...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks HCl. I got my setup new, off Ebay for $170 shipped. There's no skimmer/fuge built in though. It came with an undergravel filter, but I quickly pitched that, and the 2x36w PC fixture. What kind of lights are on the system you're looking at? That was the major appeal of my system; not having to retro the lights to keeps softies. You can sometimes find Via Aqua tanks like mine for sale through the classifieds on the different reef sites for pretty good prices too, but most are used. Sounds like the tank you're looking at is pretty nice, and that's a pretty typical LFS price. From what I've read, these Via Aqua's were running about that much, or more, in LFS when they were widely produced.

Eggcrate came from Home Depot. It's in the lighting section; they use it on ceiling fluorescent fixtures and I cut it to shape with a hacksaw.

Hope that helps, and POST PICS when you get your tank set up!

HClH2OFish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next time I stop at the LFS I'll see what kind of tank it is exactly. I'm almost positive it's a Via Aqua based on the shape of the lights that come with it. The lights *are* PC too, which is a bonus.
They had one setup for the longest time on the counter with a great setup..lotsa softies and a couplea frogfish. Skimmer ran nice and quiet too.

I've gotta get a cable for my old Canon digicam...I need to post some pics of my 3 tanks... 10gal Jelly (nothin fancy), 15gal for my BowTie Damsel (she's only got one eye, so this tank only has her) and my 25gal with our Cinammon Clown and my latest, a 1/2 black pygmy angel. Got about 1/2 dozen nice mushies I got free on a piece of LR.
I'll def. post once I get the cam working...give me a chance to clean the coralline off the front of my 15 anyway!

And thanks for the info on the eggcrate....I know where I'm stopping after work tomorrow :)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. If you don't want to drop $200 on new lights, Via Aquas have some of the best stock light fixtures IMO. My zoas, ricordia, and shrooms are very happy under these lights and I'll probably be getting a Sarcophyton or Sinularia soon, like Matt suggested.

The eggcrate is also very good if you want to keep nice fish in an open top with corals. I have read posts that say it reduces, increase and doesn't affect your light input. My observation is that it increases light at the center of the tank and reduced it on the outsides because the grating is slightly angled, so you get reflection of light off the surface back into the tank, and concentration of the light towards the center. Hope that makes sense... There's a good thread on nano-reef (I think) where someone acutally measured this with a lux meter. Anyways, make sure to get the silver stuff though, they have white too, but I think the white will reduce your light input more, for obvious reasons.

Good luck and get those pics up... =)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damnit! I couldn't stop myself. :wink: I ordered some more zoas from robsreef.com when I saw the free blues. Here's what I hope to get in the box on Friday

Attachments

• zoa0714lg.jpg
    zoa0714lg.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 2,598
  • zoa0725lg.jpg
    zoa0725lg.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 2,599
  • zoa0709lg.jpg
    zoa0709lg.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 2,598
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and...

Attachments

• zoa0701lg.jpg
    zoa0701lg.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 2,598
  • zoa0689lg.jpg
    zoa0689lg.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 2,596
  • zoa0713lg.jpg
    zoa0713lg.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 2,596
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope they all look as good once they get here... How can I "relocate" (read "kill") the brown one that are on the blue frag? They're taking up precious real estate...

Nice jab on the general reefkeeping post... :oops: I'm an idiot... :cry:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
apex003":120kimxf said:
I hope they all look as good once they get here... How can I "relocate" (read "kill") the brown one that are on the blue frag? They're taking up precious real estate...

I suppose if you really want to kill them you could inject them with kalkwasser paste, or NaOH paste (even more effective), or boiling water. Use one of those hypodermic needles or micropipets you must have at your job :D . I would try to razor blade them off at the base first though. Grab a rubber band, loop it around a rock, and squeeze them in there if you get them off. Just don't tie it to tight. They'll probably attach and do fine.

apex003":120kimxf said:

Don't cry...dry yo' eye!

OH, BTW, saw Amy Dhirapong tonight! You might remember her as the spaz from our science and society class. She's living in Davis now and working on her...get this...PHD!

:D :D :D

Matt

HClH2OFish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
apex003":3ac8erc7 said:

Scrape em off with a razor, stick em on a small piece of something, throw em in a bag w/water and box em up and send em off!!!! I'll give em a home in my 25 :)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, this sucks. I tried to introduce another cleaner shrimp so they could make sweet music together, and the new guy KILLED my original shrimp in one day. The new guy was bigger, so I guess the different intro times made them lose their appetite for lovin', and sparked their territorial nature. Now, the gf wants the "killer" out and I can't catch his dumb a$$! Crappy...

Thanks for the advise on the brown zoas. I think I'll try scraping them off like you guys advised. Maybe I'll sell them on Ebay as "SUPER RARE! DOUBLE DARK CHOCOLATE WITH WHIPPED CREAM ZOAS! HOT!!!!" Starting bid: $50. HCl, you interest?!?! :lol:

Can't believe Amy is getting a PhD. I guess her scatter brained demeanor was a ruse. What's she studying? I think her and Francis should get together and change their last name to Dhirasriwongtongpong. Longest last name ever...

Attachments

• cbg.gif
    cbg.gif
    4.9 KB · Views: 2,575

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: