• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Newreefer1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was some saltwater fish at my local Petco. I felt sorry for them because all the tanks had some sort of brown algae on the gravel bottom :evil: . Some of the algae would break off and float up to the top. What is this stuff? It was definately killing them cause I witnessed a blue Damsel die right before my eyes. He was swimming vertical for awhile before dieing. One nemo all by himself with no BTA, LR or anything. I just wanted to buy him to save him. But I know of course that he could have parasites or something.

Newreefer1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:cry: What no replies or thoughts on this subject? How about if i set up a hospital tank with just a little sand and a few ornaments (for hiding). How long would a small hospital tank (say 5 gal) like this take to cycle?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

We're not on here 24/7!

It will take around 4-6 weeks for a tank to fully cycle. The fish is probably best off at the store for now. I suggest reading a few books before beginning, and perusing our site for more info.

Newreefer1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Matt,
Thanks for responding. Sorry I thought some people seem to live on here like harthwang (?sorry if I spelled wrong).

I have read lots of books and mags and researched on the internet for about a 1 year now. Also have owned several FW tanks. Wanted to make sure I was ready. I know it takes a long time to cycle. But I saw a bag of livesand (waterpacked) 10 lbs for $40; that said instant cycling on it. Is this possible?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL...there is really no such thing as instant cycling...best bet to wait 4-6weeks...20lb bag of sand for 40bucks is kinda high anyways....

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
triple post eh? and no not like the camera.. like a "handle" in the Hackers movie...

Digiman

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have the same sand here in Alabama. I tried it in my 10 gallon, it was only $15 here though. It's been a little over a week and I will have to admit that it does help. I am not completely through the cycle but probably a few more days and it will be finished. I also have 10lb's of live rock.

Digiman

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
unless its strangling them?? Hwarang..you an internet nerd? naw..actually i dont know if you are or not..thats not fair for me to judge you by your avatar.. :lol: that was uncalled for and i apologize...

Geek!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at your avatar, LordNikon! Who or what is that?! Who puts a picture of a goofy looking, closely cropped hair guy that looks like hes being called back to the front of the line at the customs department in an international airport in Turkey?! :mrgreen:
Sorry if that came across as rude; just expressing my frustration at not knowing what the heck your avatar is! 8)
I know how to cycle a tank super fast (1-2 weeks).... Its called a large bottle of CycleTM dumped completely and totaly into the water every day, a large bottle of Amquel PlusTM dosed slightly more than the stated dose every day, water changes every day at first, then every 2 days, a larger filter than what is "necessary" for the tank size with a fresh filter cartrige with activated carbon every week or sooner, with a pouch of PurigenTM in the filter wherever it will fit, and live sand. I dont care if you have the grodiest Live rock you can find; uncured, nasty, full of roting sponges and garbage and detritus, or whatever. This will totally cure and cycle everything so fast youll think youve been slapped in the face with a hallucinogenic African frog! Of course, this is a fairly good way to get rid of a lot of perhaps unwanted money... Its not cheap, unless you go to a wholesaler and buy a crate of said stuff... I did it, and Im testament to its superiorness! :lol: :oops:
However, I would still wait around one week after you start reeding zero ammonia and nitrites. Youll probably need to buy a pH buffering substance, since pH drops might hit you somewhere along the line; its ok though, as long as you buffer as necessary. This is also assuming you buy uncured live rock, and just drop it in and leave your lights on about 8-12 hours a day. A protein skimmer will help the process out a bunch.
Its also a lot of work... Dont do it if youre lazy, like me!!!
Hope that helps!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow Dewr...uh im not sure on how caught up in current events, but the Avatar is of Uday Hussein..that would be Saddam Husseins oldest son killed in the second gulf war... :D and i think your gonna get alot of responses on a bold statement saying you can cycle a tank so fast...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my nanocube cycled that fast. i used LR to do it *gasp*

:P

Nikon - i'm not just an internet nerd, i'm the internet nerd.

Newreefer1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LORDNIKON,
I THOUGHT THAT WAS A PIC OF YOURSELF, I WAS AFRAID TO SAY ANYTHING! LOL, WHAT A RELIEF THAT IT IS NOT. PLEASE STOP TORTURING US THEN AND CHANGE PLEASE!!!

"UDAY NASTY" HE SAID IN A GHETTO STYLE LIKE HEARD ON THE RADIO STATION DC101

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: