• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

reefann

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2.5 with a goby or Pseudochromis.
2 to 4 13watt PC's and aquaclear HOB filter and you have a nice setup that can go a week or two between waterchanges easily and can house a fish and corals. With no real dosing needed, other than a little water every day or two.
This setup can be moved very easily (just moved mine up to my room in about 10minutes)And should not cost a whole lot to start up.

wilson the volleyball

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm i will have to to think about this. I havent decided yet. I dont really know what i want to do. What would be the minimum tank size to have two clowns (A 10 aga), then i could do the powerquad and it would be cheaper on lr and stuff. Woudl i ahve to dose in these. What doees everyone think i should do. Also what test kits would i need for sure, would i need a calcium one even if i do have corals.

Its either a nano reef, or a oscar tank. The reef is expensive but i like both, I dont know waht to do?

ricky1414

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
softies do not need supplemental calcium like sps corals would. Keep up on the water changes and you should be fine.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wilson, I am in your same predicament as well! Well, actually, I wont be going off to a university for about another year or two, but still...
I have a 29g thats just barely reaching moderate stability now, and I know in the future I will be moving, and I have other expenses to worry about, too... I also have been contemplating this situation, and so far the best inspiration Ive had for a virtually seamless "fit" has come from one has not even preached the merits of their methods! Im speaking, of course, about Matt_Wandell; the tanks weve seen that are essentially* (*Im not actually sure about such...) his take their residence within the walls of a university "science-room" (lab, whatever it is...)! Thats the sweetest idea Ive thought of, so far; go to the big cheese/cheif/whatever of the biology/science department(s), and say, "Ive got a reef tank. I think it would add to not only the atmosphere and learning environment of the [insert room here], but it has the potential to be used by [insert person/people/event here] for [insert reason here]. Can I keep it in this room if I would be the one to maintain it?". I bet you could even set up a group of people who would learn about aquaria through sharing in the maintenance of the tank. Hell, you could start a club and call it extra-curricular! I think the possibilities are limitless when considering an institution of learning for the residence of a reef tank, and as long as the teachers/staff/whoever are at least a little open, it should fly! Thats what Im gonna try, at least; Ill try the idea out on the community colledge Ill be attending first. Theyre supposed to be one of the best community colleges in CA, so they might leap at the opportunity!
Anyway, if that doesnt work, youve gotta find a way to bring down the insurance of your vehicle. Make the safety upgrades, watch the stupid movies, take the classes, get no points on your record, and all that crap. I got one point on my record (I backed into a stupid *&$%*#&$@*!##$!$##*$% Dodge Intrepid with my Silverado, and they call that a point?!?!?!?! $*%$%@*%@$%$@%(%@!!! ), and my insurance is like $600 per six months, and thats pretty bad for CA, where I live especially!
You could try keeping the nano with you in your room, and I think that would work. I think a lot of people here have given you the idea that you need much more and expensive equipment than you really, truly need for healthy corals/reef. you dont need 8wpg, or even a CA test kit; Im sure whichever university youre going to is going to have some way of knowing how much calcium is in your water. You dont even need to know how much CA you have; gauge the level based on how you put in, minus the animals that use CA, and adjust for the level of CA in the water already (if any). Works for me; I was doing just that when I decided to do a CA test for once, and my level was a perfect 410-420ppm for four LPSs. *Shrugs*
Have fun deciding though; a bit of creativity and a good ole' college try should get you somewhere! Im hoping it does for me! Maybe Ill post my success sometime...
Tchau for now...

wilson the volleyball

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah iwont be going away for another two years or so, im just getting done grade 10. Everything is so expenisve, especailly when i have to pay for my own car, insurance, and some of my own school. I dont know if its the right time for me, i want to keep my grades up really high so i think i will be spending more time htting the books and stuff. I dont know what i will be doing, also i am not going to be go to University for n e thing related to snc so im not sure lol. I want to start a nano, but i also want to start a oscar tank that my parents would be able to take care of when i leave, or i might just not start n e. I ahve no idea what to do because i just dont wanna drop the sw hobby all together, i dint it interesting but in the next few years i dont know what wil happen and if i will have time/money for it. ITs so confusing lol

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need to be in a Science major to help out with stuff like I do. I just asked "Who takes care of these tanks? I want to also." and they gave me a spot. Lots of schools offer it as a 1 or 2 unit class. If you want to setup a tank, I'm sure they would be more than happy to accomodate you. Free electricity, free A/C, free access to DI water, other resources, etc.

The only tradeoff is that your tank is not around all the time, and so you need to find methods to keep it automated when you are away. I highly recommend getting a dosing pump (if you go this route) for topoff.

HTH, Matt

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See? Told ya...

Well, I dont know then... Ill think of something later... Im pretty busy now, and its hard to get on the net these days for me...

Shinken

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree i dont do water changes in any of my reef tanks and nothing untoward happens. all i do is replace calcium! food that you feed the tank will usually replace the elements.

Just my opinion! :!:

Shinken

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
something really strange just happened, i replied to a post and it posted it in a different thread!

Shinken

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
something really strange just happened, i replied to a post and it posted it in a different thread!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:lol:
Shinken, you crazy brotha!
Yeah, but I notice with less water changes, things that tend to change chemically into negative "forms" usually have extra time to precipitate in the tank, like algae-food... Durnit.
Hows it comin', original poster-man?

wilson the volleyball

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their help, advice and support. but i decided that this wasnt the best time for me to set up a nano reef. My next year of school work and my job may not let me have the time to actually do stuff that i would want to do on the tank. So with somewhat lack of funds as i will be getting a car soon(also it costs 100$ to get ur beginners here, and 540$ to take drivers ed, not cheap) i decided not to undertake this project. I am going to keep learning and maybe within the next few years i may be able to start my nano reef, or maybe be able to start a large reef tnak, I have returned everything to the lfs's because my mom didnt want it sitting in the house, and just want to say thanks for everything.

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no problem, you can use the downtime to read about any kind of reef attempt you'd like to make in the future. I think anyone could only benefit from additional preparation so you can still hang around and review design ideas with us without actually having to fork out the experimental dough$$

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wilson, just where the heck are you?!?! I mean, Im here in Napa; lots of dumb kids that are rich and have cars and access to alcohol, their worshipped taboo, and old people who sit with their faces two inches away from the steering wheel (I kid you not; this is my situation [someone, save me!!!! ARGH!]), and I still think its cheaper than where youre at!!! What the deal?! Where could you possibly live that could cost that much?! I thought Cali was king in that (most rediculous) regard!

Anyway, just keep in mind what Matt said about trying to take care of one at college. My highschool had that same arrangment (although, at the time [and I ardently regret it now], I wasnt interested in such...), and they were--seriously, no exageration--one of the poorest schools in the state, with like only 400 students! So Im pretty dang sure even a community college should be willing to make this work!
Well, in any case, I guess I could tell ya to keep on reading and blah blah blah, but you know that already; instead, Ill tell ya something Ive been discovering lately. Dont forget that theres a world outside reefs, and that world--as real as it is--has people like you and me and Matt you can actually talk to and learn from, so dont be afraid to spark up some friendly banter and get to know who the real people are and what they do with what they have. I guess screen names just dont do it for me anymore (even though Matt_Wandell is pretty hard to confuse with a wild monicker :D )!

Also, go with the nano-cube! They = way easy! No extraneous equipment arrangments and superfluous dimensions and odd-ends! Ask Hwarang, King of W0otneSs.

wilson the volleyball

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah i live in southern ontario, istarted drivers ed this week 540$, thats a whole lotta money lol. My school also only has like 400 people so we bot must live in small communitiies lol

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: