• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

wilson the volleyball

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far i have a 15g tank, one ph 201, hydrometer, sand. heres wat i was thinking of still getting:

-one more ph 201
-heater(50 or 100w)
-salt(going to order offline)
-lighting(dont know wether to go with 2*65w PC or get a metal halide retro kit like this i dont know wether to go 12", 15" or if i go with 15 should i just get 24" its a 24 inch tank, -http://www.jlaquatics.com/cgi-bin/shopping/jalstore.cgi?user_action=list& category=Equipment;Lighting;Metal%20Halide;Retrofit
and what lightbulb should i get

-and im going to use RO water from the grocery store
-test kits what ones
-mag float

anything else you can suggest

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely get the heater unless you live in a tropical area where there are no temperature fluctuations. Another powerhead might not be a bad idea here, either. I would think that salt mix would be a foregone conclusion since you're here (and you went out and got a hydrometer - I hope it's a good lab grade glass float hydro, NOT a lousy swingarm). ;)

As for lighting, you need to decide what you want (as far as photosynthetic specimens) in this nano first. Then, carefully consider what you have the skills to keep successfully when you make this decision.

Test kits are, in my opinion, an absolute must - Salifert, SeaChem, La Motte, and Hache. First two are decent value for the money (but Salifert is Dutch and sometimes has availability issues). Last two are more expensive, but great quality kits with which you can't go wrong.

wilson the volleyball

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how many watts for the heater. also like do i need ammonia, nitrate, nitrite wat else for test kits. its just a swingarm but i can always upgrade later if i need to my lfs didnt have any glass ones.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should upgrade the hydrometer now, as in before you add any specimens. It really is imperative to know your s.g./salinity before you stock. And it really needs to be a lab grade hydrometer. Another important note is to mind the temperature at which it's calibrated, water is more or less dense depending on temperature.

For testing you will definitely need ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH. An alkalinity test would be a good idea, especially since you plan on using RO/DI water. If you're going to keep anything that builds a skeleton you'll want a calcium test. Then, if you have problems with cyanobacteria or other nuisance algal blooms, you'll want at least a phosphate test, but that's not something you'll need right away.

If you haven't got them, you MUST have books. We have listed a great selection of beginner's books in our library. Yes, online information is good, but even when helping others I find myself going to my hardcopy frequently.

The heater should be, depending on temperature fluctuations and coldest temps in your area, between 2 and 3 watts/gallon.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ill make it simple for the 15gal go with 100W. my MH lighting is 12in across suspended over a 24in tank. that is totally fine but if you wanna go PC then go 24in so it can sit on the ledge of your tank(they make feet that sit on the ledge of the tank for the PC). It really doesnt matter in what order you go since you are piecing this together and it will be sometime before you can actually start doing anything..But it sounds like you are having a blast so have at it :D

wilson the volleyball

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I've heard lots of bad stories about Ebos. I have always like my Visi-Therms, but I've heard bad stories about them, too. You will never go wrong with a quality brand like Eheim - that stuff is built to LAST! It comes with a price, but I don't think they're outrageous.

The link is just for a Salifert calcium test, and that should be at the bottom of your list right now.

Have you decided what you want to keep? Softies? Large Polyp Stony corals? Small Polyp Stony corals?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100W heater, im sorry..i would go 175-250W MH for your tank 130W PC if you go that route..Never have had a problem with my visitherms i like them, Titaniums i hear are good too..only problem with visitherm is let it sit in the water for about 1/2 hr to an hr if not the glass will crack on the thermometer and it will be broken..

wilson the volleyball

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
k i think i will go with the salifert test kits. im either goign to go with visitherm or has anyone heard anything about tronics. and im not really sure what kind of corals i want to keep. i know i want some shrroms, xenia, maybe some type of brain if it would fit in my tank, some type of leather, i want to keep a wide variety i guess, so maybe i will go with the 12" MH so i have many options. Do you have any pictures of the 12" over your tank.

Thanks for all the help.

UnderGrad

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using the Tronic 150watt heaters and they work fine for me... however the temp knob on the top is way inaccurate. As for the wood, use whatever you think looks good. Just make sure you use a good sealer. Personally, I like to use Marine Spar Varnish. HTH.

Arlan

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wilson here is my MH suspended over my 20gal

Attachments

• 000_0018-1.jpg
    000_0018-1.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 2,210
  • 106-0641_img.jpg
    106-0641_img.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 2,209
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine isnt a retro, its a PFO pendant, more than likely a retro will need to be put together. If you hang it high enough say min 10in (thats how high i have mine) it shouldnt overheat, then again its gonna depend on where the tank is to begin with, mine stays in my bedroom where it is nice and cool...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bad stories about ebo jagers? I thouht those were the uber heater?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Um, no, they're not. I'm not familiar with the Tronics, but I know for a fact now that both my Visis and my Eheim still work flawlessly, and this is after better than a decade. :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: