• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

wilson the volleyball

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
k i think i know what i am going to go with:

100w visi heater
ac 201 powerhead
200g IO salt
all salifert test kits(pH, alkalinity, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, calcium)
and i am still undecided on wether or no to get MH or PC but i am thinking MH because a- i can keep anything i want
b- dont have to replace as many or as much lightbulbs as in pc
c- only concern heat(tank in nmy bedroom), and evap.

heres what i was thinking of going with:

http://www.jlaquatics.com/cgi-bin/shopp ... o=pfo-hpen

would it be ok to leave it with the 5500k bulb for the cycle and maybe a bit longer, and then get a new bulb because they only offer 12000k upgrades but at : http://aquariacanada.com/osCommerce/pro ... cts_id=406 i can get that bulb . so any advice on that. also do i need to get a calcium test right away or can that wait. do i need all of the test kits right away or can i let the tank cycle and then get them.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
like i said i dont use a chiller. but the evap is about a gallon a day :? sorry for that bad news...i think if you keep your lights say min 10 above you should do fine with the lighting..being in your room might be an advantage, it might stay cooler in your room, less space for the A.C. to cool off, so it stays cooler, just my thoughts? chillers a kinda expensive, the only one i found cheap enough for small tanks is the Iceprobe, only problem is it is inline via drilled into a tank or a powerfilter...i hear they are pretty good for small tanks :D HTH

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep it's fine for now but you'll probably wanna upgrade soon enough. The 10+k bulbs cast a much more flattering hue on your aquarium. I personally detest the yellow tint ...

wilson the volleyball

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok thanks. im just going to spend like 500 and want to wait a little bit to get a new bulb it will probaboly only be until after the cycle or end of summer or so. i am hoping to start the tank by the end of may lol. lets hope.

wilson the volleyball

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
last night i went to a lfs. i got another powerhead, but they didnt have any visi heater, and didnt really specializein sw so i didnt get much else. I was really happy though when i was looking at fish, and there was a man getting like10-12 adn the lfs person said he should stop at like 5-6, it made me happy lol.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, like I said, Eheims are great. Actually, I cannot think of a single Eheim product I have ever heard complaints about.

If you're going with the metal halides, you should probably figure out how and where you're going to hook up an auto-top off.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i need an auto top off..a gallon of water a day from evap.. grrrr :?

wilson the volleyball

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i tihnk i am going to look intot hem but they look confusing to build as i am not a very good diyer. is there anything u ahve to take off the ac 201s or not. hopefully this wek i can go towlamart or petsmart or another lfs to get a stnd for it.

wilson the volleyball

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
osrry. im hoping to look into starting a auto topoff soon, but im not a great diy person so ill need to get a lot of help lol. also is there anything i have to take off the aquaclear powerheads 201, venturi thing. also i am looking to hopefully get a stand this week from walmart or petsmart or a lfs.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't use the venturi tubes that come with the powerheads. You do not want those fine air bubbles in the water column.

As for an auto top-off, it could be as simple as a bucket or jug of a few gallons that's been drilled to accept an airline valve, with tubing going to the tank with an appropriate drip rate set to feed via gravity. Or, you could just buy a decent setup.

wilson the volleyball

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am going to have to research them more of how to set them up, in very very easy terms lol. but i still have a while to go so i can look inot that before iset up the tank.

wilson the volleyball

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol. it would be nice, bu i dont have the room or money, plus im going away to university soon and it needs to be a little bit more moveable. but i have already become interested in large tanks, and aggressive fish. also oscars lol.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raise your hand if you don't like nanos, but continue to post in the nanos forum about how you don't like them....

OK, looks like we've just got Baiano's hand up.

wilson the volleyball

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
o i thought you were talking to me about how im thinking of a bigger tank. your not talking about me tho are you i still like nanos im hoping to set mine up soon.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you Matt for seeing the nano hater...Obviously a constant battle..

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: