• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

LOL!

I don't know of any mantis that has just one pimp claw like that.

But I just found out he is a she, so maybe she doesn't wanna be a boxer. Regardless, I've been training her up already! She's good at puttin the emerald crab in his place (I think he knows his days are numbered, I like the palpable fear that I can sense in the little tank). Also I tap the glass 5 times (lightly) when I feed. She already responds to that, it's neato.

Pretty soon I'll be able to tap tap tap tap tap on the glass and she'll come out and be like "booya!" all ready to lay waste to some unsuspecting ocean critter.

Newreefer1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok Dewey, You say I need help. Have you've been snorting kalkwasser or something! LOL, Lets not get to carried away!

P.S. Just kidding with ya!

H-dog I'm glad to see you got your mantis.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow; Id never thought of that before! Snorting kalk! I have a firend who has to snort just about everything granular or otherwise small and loose (sugar, salt, pepper, hot sauce, Equal, water, Wasabei, soy sauce, tobacco [from a malboro], even an omlette!); maybe I should tell him about the buzz kalk can give em' and watch the show from a distance!

LOL!

Awwww... It had to be a girl?! Crap. Well, you can always give her a little can of Mace and a purse with rocks in it to beat up on the emerald crab with! That would be just as funny! "Hellllppp!!! Hes stealing my purse!"
*she starts beating the crab with the purse* "Hes trying to rape me, too!!!"
*whips out the Mace, spays it on her punching claw(s), and pokes him in the eyes*

LOL! That would be like watching one of those stupid cop shows, except cooler!

Newreefer1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not too bad, Just finished week 3 of curing my live rock it looks like I will be ready to add a few critters soon. Once I have some pics worth posting, I will. For now its still a waiting game.

tazdevil

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kids, please don't try the kalk-snorting method at home, the results wouldn't be pretty. (For those actually stupid enough to believe the prior posts about trying it!)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey taz, something fishy has a SWEET, huge carpet anemone... just givin' yo a heads up. it's probably gone by now ... but if i had a bigger tank i woulda bought it and loved it and hugged it and called it george.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPP!!!!!

Last night, as I turned the lights off and the moonlights were on, I was observing my mushroom-rock with true scrutiny, which I dont often spare that rock... As I was watching, a hole that was previously concealed by a mushroom's "cap" became uncovered slightly. Then, suddenly, I saw a pair of yellowish crab-like claws appear like lightning from the hole, then dissapear as quickly as they had come. This evening, I was watching that same hole as I fed the fish, and again the same claws popped out in a cameo appearance as they tried to snatch peices of Marine Quisine.
I decided then that I had had enough mystery, and that I would carefully investigate. I took my plastic loong eye-dropper and poked it into the hole.

At first, nothing.

Then, to my shock and surprise (from which I reacted with minimal reflex...), I fealt it...

A jarring "SNAP! SNAP! SNAP!", sending vibrations all the way up the length of the dropper and into my spine...

IS THIS WHAT I THINK IT IS?!?!?!?!?! To think that I have handled that rock so many times with such little regard! Oh, the eerie revelation! Oh the irony! I thought Id never get such a guest of such malcontent and illfavor...

So, whatdya' think of my dramatic recounting of my mantis discovery? IS it a mantis? Hwarang, if it is, do you want it? If not, what do I do with the thing and yet retain some sense of mercy and compassion?!

Any help is supremely appreciated!

danmhippo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can identify which hole the creature is hiding, put on a thick rubber glove and move that rock into a bucket of freshwater of same ph and temp.

Or pour soda water into the hole, whatever you think it is will pop right out of the hole........ make sure you have your glove on.

danmhippo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, BTW, I just came back from Thailand and had a platter of fried mantis shrimp........... Flesh as firm as lobster and is down right delicious. Those mantis is huge as well, a little over 12 inches in length.

I just have to go back there again........

Newreefer1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, what danmhippo said or you could also try the following.......

Helpful Tips for Controlling Unwanted Pests:

Before (or after) curing your newly arrived live rock, you can submerse the new rock into a bucket filled with saltwater with a specific gravity of 1.035 to 1.040 for one minute. Any invertebrates including: mantis shrimp, bristle worms, and crabs, will quickly evacuate from the rock into the bucket of water. Bristle worms still attached to the rock can be removed with a pair of needle-nosed pliers or tweezers. After removing the live rock from the bucket, you can then sort through the invertebrates in the bucket that you will want to add to your system, and discard all of the unwanted pests.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt_Wandell":1zokpsjw said:
Ahem,

The correct plural of mantis is mantids...

wow! do you have a "smartyshirt" to go with your "smartypants"? :)

It's actually a really cool fact I didn't know!

B

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DewrGleision,

I would suggest making it a mantis tank!! YEAH!!! Let it kill all your fish n' crustaceans and then spend your time marvelling at how frikkin sweet the mantis is.

YEEEAH!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hwarang; HELL NO!!!!
You know how much money I spent on corals and inverts and fish to have some imputent, insolent, arrogant, indiscriminant whelp of a spineless maggot have a field day wreaking havoc as I watch in horror?!?!?! Too goddamn much! Thats how much!

No, seriously though, if its cool looking, do you want it? Same deal you had with the other guys, except since its kinda far Ill offer to pay part of shipping. Just to get rid of the wrecth!

Newreefer, LOL! :lol: Hmmmm, I seem to remember something just like your suggestion when I received my 36 pounds of Lalo LR from liveaquaria.com! Oh wait; it was the same exact thing!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
AHHHHH HAH HAH HAH HAH HAHHHHHH!!!
*chuckles**wipes tears from eyes* Sorry there guy, just had to poke fun at that one!
And besides, I dont want to waste slat like that when a freshwater dip should yeild the same results!

damnhippo, dont you think even my tough "aqua glove" things wouldnt be enough to stop a flaming mantis claw? I mean, the thing must be only about 3/4's of an inch to an inch long, judging from the hole it inhabits! But still...
I want to try frying the sucker now! Sweet! I have Thai plum/fruit/sweet & sour sauce type stuff that I got from the Thai restaurant here! That would be NICE!

How do ya like dem' apples, huh Hwarang?! Im gonna fry the little malcontented bastard and enjoy his blistered carcass and lobster-like flesh with plum sauce and some Hamachi! Neener neener neener!

tazdevil

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those mantis is huge as well, a little over 12 inches in length.

Jees! I think they could effectively split your arm or leg, not just the thumb!

Seriously though, the one's that are found in our tanks, unless directly from the ocean, and not fed anything unnatural (about 99 percent of the fish food has unnatural elements in it to promote health-vitamin additives etc.) should not be consumed by humans. Read many of the labels on additives etc. and they specifically state "not to be used for fish destined for human consumption" or something to that fact.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My korean friends don't really care for the mantis shrimp (i don't eat any seafood...). They say it's tougher and less sweet than lobstah, etc.

I still think you should make it a mantis tank. Do you have any idea what kind of mantis it is? try seducing it out and snapping a pic. I probably don't want it because I just got my other one and well ... I gotta concentrate on her :) But maybe in a few months I'll be looking for another.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crap...

I dont think its been eating any of my fish's food since none of it ever really reaches the little niche where the shroom-rock is; Im guessing its been eating stuff fromt the rocks and such, although I am wondering now if those snails I havent seen for a while arent just behind the rocks or something.... 8O

C'mon Hwarang! You know your pretty lady-with-a-vengance wants someone else to be around, to helpt her break stuff, stare at you, and help her molest the emerald crab!

...Damnit...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post on the mantis forum @ reefcentral.com ... there's always someone there trying to acquire one. usually like 5 ppl ...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: