• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

H2Sea

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been reading about countless modifications of the NANO CUBE and Im ready to get another one.......... Which mods do you think will be most benificial?

here's a couple pics of my first "stock" nano cube
49692DSC02735-med.JPG

49692DSC02797-med.JPG

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rdo_welcome.gif

Don't really have any advice, but will be tagging along because I'm thinking of going with a cube myself here soon..

Your pics seem very blue. - What lights do you have running on that?

kingnitro1

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I removed the foam out of the back and left in the bio balls and the ceramic rings.Added a heater in the first compartment in the back.I have live rock and about one inch of sand.For livestock I have two percula clowns,one BTA,
one hermit,two snails,mushrooms,one squamosa clam,macro algae.Everything is doing great.Just do water changes and you won't need to add a skimmer.I have seen hang on skimmers on this tank and you have to hack up the hood.Ruins the nice look of the tank.

C

Countzer0

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed I had problems with the water on top being stagnate ...so first i cut several grooves above the top vent. Then I took a baseball card sleve cut it to fit and covered up most of the top vent ... this drops the water level in the back creating more waterflow and better water movement.

Attachments

• jbj.jpg
    jbj.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 2,183

blu-thang

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I did to mine was that I Cut 1/4" Slots on upper left hand side to skim the top of water I also Removed the noisy stock powerhead and changed it with a mini-jet mn 606, this pump is quiet! I also removed the sponges,bio-balls,and ceramic rings and put in some small pieces of liverock. Im Planning on upgrading lights soon,Also installed a csl moonlite :D Overall tank is very cool once all mods are done.

Peace and happy,Nano-ing :) :) :)

Juck

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the 3 most important mods are:

Cut slots in the upper intake to break the scum on the top of the water

Remove ceramic rings but keep carbon & sponges,,sponges offer massive surface area for denitrification,, far more by volume than ceramic rings or Live Rock.

Install Maxi-jet 600 powerhead or similar (stock powerhead is 'rattly' and underpowered) and modify single-direction output of water from powerhead,,,the stock whirlpool water current is really annoying,, at least my clowns didn't like it.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have one yet but seriously considering it...

Out of curiousity do you think there's room to install a SCWD with multiple outlets?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, if you gutted the back a bit and drilled another hole. Actually maybe I spoke too soon. I haven't seen a SCWD in a while, what exactly is the diameter of the fattest part?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have one handy either but lunchbucket has some good pics on his site, looks like it's roughly 5x2x5 (or more like 8x2x10 once done..)

What are the dimensions of that "filter" area on the cube?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^

You know... - that area everyone hollows out to put rock / heaters / whatever in.....

bdelaney

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt_Wandell":1gm8wk73 said:
Sure, if you gutted the back a bit and drilled another hole. Actually maybe I spoke too soon. I haven't seen a SCWD in a while, what exactly is the diameter of the fattest part?

I have one on my 29 gallon. The rough dimensions are 4.5" wide (from outlet to outlet across the top), 5.5" tall, and just over 2.5" thick. I'm pretty sure it would fit back there.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:D

Might be a few months until I can do it, but it's looking like a plan.....

Pisces1

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Juck":2davq5mx said:
I think the 3 most important mods are:

Cut slots in the upper intake to break the scum on the top of the water

Remove ceramic rings but keep carbon & sponges,,sponges offer massive surface area for denitrification,, far more by volume than ceramic rings or Live Rock.

Install Maxi-jet 600 powerhead or similar (stock powerhead is 'rattly' and underpowered) and modify single-direction output of water from powerhead,,,the stock whirlpool water current is really annoying,, at least my clowns didn't like it.

Hi. Just curious about "cutting" slots on the upper intake. Please explain. I've had some issues with scum on top of water. Thanks.

meesh

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aside from a small ph directed towards the surface, I run my nano-cube "as is" out the box (going on 7 months now without a single problem, knock on wood!)

Attachments

• pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 1,935

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: