• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

woot. i couldn't resist the one i saw at my LFS today. Yay!

Thanks for the tips, Juck. What's the reason I should remove the ceramic rings?

Thx
-me

Juck

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hiya Hwarang

A handful of arag. sand has as much surface area as a bucket full of ceramic rings. I don't think ceramic rings have any place outside freshwater tanks and it's just one less thing to catch crap back there in the filter.

Heck,, if the filter comp was an inch wider and an inch and a half taller you could wedge a Prizm in there. I'd be real happy then. :)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you mean i should toss a handful of aragonite back there?

Juck

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean it provides such a small amount of bio-filtration compared to your sandbed that it's not worth keeping them in there.

Lostmind

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I hear most people do is try to transform the little filter in the back to a refuge hwarang...

so no ceramic rings or filter media...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is absolutely no reason to have all the sponge/bioball/carbon in the back. I yanked mine out. If you have LR in your tank it will filter your water just fine.

FWIW, I feed half a table shrimp per week to my 12 gallon and my soft corals are okay.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I looked at the back compartments and stuff ... light doesn't reach into those, I'd have to do some more cover modding before it could be used as a refuge.

So far this is what I have lined up to modify:

1. Pump upgrade to MJ 600
2. seal top vent, cut notches for surface skimming
3. cram extra light (walmart, $10) into hood
4. Peel off cheesy nanocube sticker

SaltyMist

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Countzer0":3302ijqb said:
I noticed I had problems with the water on top being stagnate ...so first i cut several grooves above the top vent. Then I took a baseball card sleve cut it to fit and covered up most of the top vent ... this drops the water level in the back creating more waterflow and better water movement.

Can you give more pictures on your mod, in my current Eclipse 12, you can buy a surface skimmer that can be hooked up to the intake of the filter, but since the intake of the filter on the JBJ tank are different, I require more pictures to see what you have done.

Afterall, I'd hate to ruin this new JBJ tank.

The part Im most curious about is the cut slots, if I cut them to the top of the back wall, then they would flow over the sponges, and thus not really be prefiltered.

And it seems a long stretch to cut the slots high enough that they filter the water, AND skim the surface.

Sorry if this seems dense, but I just dont want to ruin a perfectly good tank.

Meloco14

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey kingnitro1, I noticed you have a squamosa in your tank. Are you using the stock lighting? How is it doing? How long have you had it? I am interested in trying to keep a clam in my nanocube, but I am very hesitant because of their light demands. After my retrofits I will have 50 watts of PC, I don't know if this is enough for a clam though. Thanks

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: