• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

brandon-

simply wonderful and amazing :D

hope you'll do an article for aaolm or a talk on #reefs someday....

again-kudos!(and a huzzah, too 8) )

wade1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I detect the scent of a controlling personality? :twisted:

They are nice though... makes me want to fix up my old 2g hex tank.

Wade

Reefguide

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a google search on "azoo galaxy light" and they seem to come in different colors. My questions is this: Are you running a actinic & a daylight? I would assume so but can really see the light fixture to well. Can you elaborate on the lighting a bit if you dont mind, or maybe post a picture of the light fixture alone? Thanks alot !

Again It looks great !

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Vitz and Crew,

I sure would like to write an article for aaol mag! as quick as Im done revising a current write-up, I would enjoy making one for aaol. I would mainly like to focus on simple designs that allow for easy maintenance tanks/stable designs. nothing would make my week better! I love to type LOOONG posts so why not just go ahead and make 'em an article.

Now Wade, I am flatly impressed because how could you detect that scent in my posts, you are exactly right. Nice analysis --
if that wasnt me you were talking about I just spilled the beans then

Thanks for your nice words team, I think this baffle refugium will work out well as the months go by, soon Ill try one on a large reef when the $$ are avial...a person here mentioned setting up one in a ten gallon and I would really like to pool the data from various water column ranges. The main benefit of the refugium is to make oxygen continuously, so nighttime shortages are prevented. There are also added benefits such as pH control and nitrate removal with refugiums, there just had to be a way to get it done without plumbing the tank.

Will post some close-up pictures of the baffle refugium design. It will hold a miniature miracle mud sandbed separately from the main tank, five times as deep as the substrate in the reef (LS). Might there be a possibility of NO3 reduction in this bed? Hope so. Just dont have any MM yet.

As far as selling the reefs go, I have considered that, but it seems unlikely at this time because I have to buy everything retail... and it takes an entire weekend to build one. At this point I am much excited to just have my name associated with advancements in reef tank design.

Ill definately get some closer light-pics on tonite, and I was able to use an actinic/daylight 13pc combo (fits in the galaxy light) I purchased online through

PetMeister.com

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Brandon...

Like countless others I'm sure, you've inspired me and renewed my love of reefing, and I'm tossing around the idea of trying either a vase-style reef or a baffle-'fuge design. Could you post some more detailed info about how you separated off the tank into the refugium area--ie what material you used, what sealant, etc.

I'm thinking it would look fantastic on my desk in my classroom. :-D

Thx!
John

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
brandon429 wrote:

As far as selling the reefs go, I have considered that, but it seems unlikely at this time because I have to buy everything retail... and it takes an entire weekend to build one

hey-i used to do 2.5 gallon fw setups similiar in idea,in an lfs, and sold em for 100-150,stocked,matured, and running.you could sell 'em easily, believe me.

at least it would help pay for growing your frags, eh? :D

AdamE

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love your tanks and think your design is very innovative. I have one question though. With the lid on these tanks do you experience salt creep on the lid. If so is it enough to fluctuate the salinity enough to be a problem. I'm curious because I had a lid on my refugium and I would always have to scrape a layer of salt of the lid every few weeks. Thanks and keep us updated.

Ace

Dumb Guy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brandon-

Can't wait for that article to come out.

In your other post somebody said something about a picture style reef, that was really narrow and could be hung on the wall. That would be awesome, especially if there were multiple sand bed levels, like an ant farm. It would be hard to get light to the lower levels though, but you could do it if you placed a light for each level behind the tank shining through the back (and maybe reflected downward by a reflector inside the tank). That would be cool...

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to post a few more pics before work...

heres a diagram of the design, drawn up on the MS art program.

B

Attachments

• graphm75jpeg.jpg
    graphm75jpeg.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 2,127

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the refugium plastic is cut from a black crate box I bought at Michaels crafts, two pieces. Used epoxy to glue them , but silicone is probably a better choice.

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea on the ant farm! Copepods are great marine ants to watch when they achieve good numbers. You can have decent movement and action inside a small reef with no fish when these guys are busily searching for food. I wonder how much the picture aquarium costs? will do a search soon, and if I remember correctly there might have been one attached to that thread.

I had a prob with salt creep too on the femto reef. If a piece of macro crept up the side, near the lid/tank junction, the SW would creep out and actually lower the SG as the water level fell, due to the creep action. This hasnt happened -yet- on the MIni 75 due to the sealing of the weatherstripping. The lid is pressed on tight and I think maybe the creep will be prevented this time around.

I give a big thanks to this company that makes little tanks with pine stands and canopies! The only thing I would change is to make the tank glass instead of plastic--hard to get coralline off as it encrusts. or impossible. at least with the femtoreef I could just move them into another betta hex, but with this one Ill have to order a new tank when its fully encrusted on the sides and front. should last for a year or so, though.

Hey Sharkky thanks man, nano reefs had sparked my interest because the other styles (and sizes) of reefkeeping were exclusive to my pocketbook. Also, I wanted a transportable reef for several reasons and theres no way to be a one-galloner for that. I really want to work more with sealed designs and simple dosing approaches. Thats one reason I was asking around to see what Julian Sprung had recommended in dosings for nano reefs...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
brandon429":3nf6mg41 said:
Good idea on the ant farm! Copepods are great marine ants to watch when they achieve good numbers.

I'm glad I'm not the only freak (besides my wife) who think watching the pods are cool. Sometimes we end up ignoring the main tank and laying on the floor peering into the sump. :D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sharkky":7hhea0sf said:
brandon429":7hhea0sf said:
Good idea on the ant farm! Copepods are great marine ants to watch when they achieve good numbers.

I'm glad I'm not the only freak (besides my wife) who think watching the pods are cool. Sometimes we end up ignoring the main tank and laying on the floor peering into the sump. :D

'peering into the sump'

riiiight...... :lol:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
vitz":3qmrf1h2 said:
'peering into the sump'

riiiight...... :lol:

:oops:
grope.gif

:wink:

(This is starting to turn into a Sump discussion, isn't it?? hehehe)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, great tank(s). Second, what made my day is that my wife saw the picture with the phone, not realizing it was there for size comparison, and was wondering why I was soo impressed. Then I showed her the picture with the young girl(your daughter I presume) and she was shocked. Keep up the good work.....

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: