Ummfish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, exactly. I have never called for shutting down MOFIB. I have called for accountability from its directors. I've called for them to do their job.

In addition, Suzy keeps claiming that "we have a website." I have two, one for my business and this one: http://www.ummfish.com. I volunteer time for a couple other websites, but I don't "have" them.

But, Suzy, remember that, if you had not accused every past director who ever served before you of a breach of their fiduciary duties, as you did, I would not have had to defend my actions as director. If you have specific complaints about past directors, fine. Air them if you wish. But by making your complaints general to every past director, as you did, you then make it so that all past directors have to defend themselves against you. It may feel like people ganging up against you but the reason it feels that way is the way you phrased your complaint. You implicated all of us. Shouldn't all of us get to respond?

In other words, if you wish to impune the reputation of someone, go for it (but I suggest you have evidence to back up your claim). If you don't have evidence to attack anyone specifically, then I certainly suggest that you don't attack everyone generally.

Matt has commented in the past that he's now kind of embarrassed for his time with MOFIB. MOFIB was a large drain on my time and effort resources when I was involved in running the place. But it's been _years_ since I've been involved. It's really appalling that I still have to defend my reputation for my past association with the organization. The whole thing is kind of like walking across dried soda on the floor. It's gross while you are in it, tries to pull the shoes right off your feet, and sticks to your shoes long after you've left the building so you have to spend the whole rest of the day dealing with it.

When I first read this, I was insulted to be accused of stealing your "assets". I make a 6 figure salary, and my workaholic husband makes twice what I do. But, after I thought about it, it now just makes me giggle. I am going to spend hours of my life to "misappropriate the assets" of MOfib or I could just pick up an extra shift and make more in one hour than the site is worth?

It doesn't really matter how much money you make. Your job as a director--one of the custodians of MOFIB's assets--is to take care of MOFIB to the best of your abilities. If you are not working to make MOFIB successful then you are not doing your duty. If it is true that the directors of MOFIB are setting up a new corporation and are transferring MOFIB's assets to that new corporation without receiving fair value back for the owners of MOFIB--the members--then I would indeed say that you are working to benefit the new corporation and not MOFIB. If all that is true then it is my opinion that the board that came up with this plan was not acting according to their duties as directors. If you were on a board that did those things then I would say that you acted against your fiduciary duty to MOFIB. If none of these things are true, fine. If these things are true, then I think "misappropriating the assets" is a fairly apt description. The stuff that MOFIB owns doesn't belong to the board. It belongs to the membership. Giving it to someone else without the members' permission is not right.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You both (sorry for using the word guys, I guess) read the private forum. You know I resigned. But, I am truly, profoundly, wholeheartedly and extremely sorry I insinuated that MOFIB was not a perfect well oiled machine when you were there. Good enough apology or can I say more about how wonderful MOFIB was run then?

But, really. I dont care how many years you guys want to bash MOFIB, or what your agenda or motive is. If it was something positive, that would be cool because I think having a place where everyone can talk about the hobby is good. If it is negative, it does not affect me or my efforts. Do what you feel is best for you.

But, I wonder if years for now, people will want to know who you are?

Umm Fish? Bookman? Rook?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Umm, I am curious why the website you are active on, The MBI, does not have elections? It seems like MOFIB could work if it weren't for that. I think there are a few people reading this thread who are bigwigs there. Maybe you could tell me why it is so important that MOFIB is controlled by elections but I never see any talk about them on MBI?

Ummfish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The MBI, which has nothing to do with any of this discussion BTW, is not a member-owned organization. It was never set up that way. MOFIB, on the other hand, was setup as a member-owned organization. In either case, the people who own the organization are supposed to be the people who make the decisions about the way the organization is run. MOFIB, unfortunately, has seemed to have a lot of directors who act like _they_ own the place, instead of acting like the caretakers they actually are. That's _exactly_ where all the conflict comes from.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SeahorseWhisperer_":10kxfwsf said:
GreshamH":10kxfwsf said:
Take a screen shot, lawyers love screen shots :D

This is a weird post. You are going to sue me because.....?

We have never met in person, and I dont believe we have ever spoken on the WWW, but I have seen your posts around, and I was under the impression that you represented Reed Mariculture? I must admit, I know little about marketing practices. Threatening to sue someone who buys your products seems odd, though. And, there may be others who peruse this thread in the future, and they may just want to breed fish, and quit all these www temper tantrums. But, you know your market audience.

Guys, I really am not sure if your mission is best for the breeding community. Closing down MOFIB and creating hostility does not promote your website well, IMO. There are many better ways.

3 years? Really?

Before you begin the gang attacks on me and continue your www temper tantrums, I do want you to know I am reconsidering my association with any internet forums. There is so much more quality information on google scholar, and personal communication with breeders in the hobby who are not into this weird competition and ego fest. I am a becoming a better breeder, and I am having some successes. Instead of these unproductive waste of energies, why not promote real information exchange about the passion? Do you really want to promote breeding and the advanced portion of the hobby? It seems that a lot of energy is being used to push people away from all forums, and not just MOFIB.

???? I made no threats of lawsuits. I am not representing my employer on this forum and have been active on this forum for way longer then I have been in my current employment. Sorry you cannot grasp that fact and have to roll me into my job. A job doesn't make a person.

I have not been seeking the closing of MOFIB for 3 years, you are very very wrong. I have been fighting to make it better since its inception. I have personally donated time AND money to make it better. I would appreciate it if you'd stop trying to rewrite my history as you simply never get it right.

Why do you insist we are all MBI? I am a poster on MBI, that is is. I do not consider it "my site" nor does anyone but you. Please drop it already, you couldn't be more wrong.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ummfish":30vygrki said:
The MBI, which has nothing to do with any of this discussion BTW, is not a member-owned organization. It was never set up that way. MOFIB, on the other hand, was setup as a member-owned organization. In either case, the people who own the organization are supposed to be the people who make the decisions about the way the organization is run. MOFIB, unfortunately, has seemed to have a lot of directors who act like _they_ own the place, instead of acting like the caretakers they actually are. That's _exactly_ where all the conflict comes from.

Ok. So, MOFIB has conflict because of the directors. MBI doesn't have directors?

If people wanted MOFIB to work, and you are writing like you do want MOFIB to work, then MOFIB should be set up that way, too.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SeahorseWhisperer_":3rprqyhq said:
Ummfish":3rprqyhq said:

Ok. So, MOFIB has conflict because of the directors. MBI doesn't have directors?

If people wanted MOFIB to work, and you are writing like you do want MOFIB to work, then MOFIB should be set up that way, too.

That is exactly NOT what Ummfish said.
MOFIB has conflict because it has created a culture of terrible directors. Even you - from reading the hidden MOFIB forums a few weeks ago it was clear you, a BOD member, didn't even know the organization had by laws. That is really bad for an organization.

The conflict in MOFIB came/comes from the directors personalities and from them not understanding how the organization is structured and/or the by laws. There are plenty of organizations that work just fine with elected BOD's, and there are organizations that work horribly without BOD's. The problem is not the structure, its the people not understanding and not abiding by the structure or not changing the structure.

When the bulk of the BOD liked the by laws and people pointed out problems in MOFIB by laws because they wanted the organization to work they got run out on a rail. When the BOD didn't like the by laws, and people tried to say the org and the BOD must abide by the by laws because they wanted the organization to work they got run out on a rail (its important to note that a lot of people pointed out problems with the by laws...they were run out on a rial). The people who ran them out on a rail are mostly still there and the organization is still broken. Using the by laws when they suit you and ignoring them with that suits you is exactly what the people in power at MOFIB did, and it is what kills organizations, which is exactly what is happening.

Given the recent transparency (in which you resigned, and then unresigned) other people in the hidden forums tried over and over again to explain to you what by laws were for and why they had to be followed. You seem to still not get it.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have removed this post. It made no sense and was factually incorrect. - Thales

mpedersen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
satan":2dw6za6i said:
Using the by laws when they suit you and ignoring them with that suits you is exactly what the people in power at MOFIB did, and it is what kills organizations, which is exactly what is happening.

You were probably more right than you knew. This fell off the back of a truck today, and wound up in my inbox. No clue who/which board members are responsible for this announcement to the "members", given that last I saw virtually all except one BOD member was basically gone anyways. I would like to point out now that there is a line-item vote being put to MEMBERS, and both voting choices lead off with the phrase:

Dissolve MOFIB the corporation.

MOFIB":2dw6za6i said:
Official Announcement to all Voting Members

posted by MOFIB » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:20 pm

MOFIB Voting Members,

If you have been an active member of MOFIB for the past few years, you are aware of the organizational struggles that MOFIB has faced. The search to find a viable solution to these issues was started over a year ago by the Board of Directors. We now would like to present to you, as active voting members of the MOFIB organization, a ballot with two options as to how you would like to have MOFIB proceed. The Board of Directors has voted and unanimously agrees to support either of these two options, based on a majority vote of the MOFIB voting membership.

HISTORY: As a member of MOFIB, it is important that you understand that each and every Board of Director from the beginning of the organization has wanted MOFIB to survive and thrive. The concept of sharing breeding information is essential if breeders are to advanced their understanding and skills as breeders. However, there are two sides to MOFIB; MOFIB the Message Board and MOFIB the organization.

The message board is what most hobbyist are familiar with. It requires a domain, a server to store the data, and the actual message board (phpbb) where posts are created and read about breeding efforts. The legal organization is an entirely different beast. The organization requires Board of Directors, Officers, bylaws, Articles of Incorporation, submissions of annual reports, annual tax filings, accounting, and constant book keeping. The organization has nothing to do with breeding yet requires attention to detail in order to ensure proper laws are being followed. It is this organization which has struggled over the years.

Many attempts have been made to salvage the MOFIB organization, but all attempts have failed and now it is necessary to make some difficult decisions. Because of the struggles of the MOFIB organization, the Board of Directors unanimously agree that the not-for-profit organization, Marine Ornamental Fish & Invertebrate Breeders Association located in the state of Illinois, USA, should be dissolved. Before doing so its assets will be distributed, as determined by the voting members of the organization.

The organizations assets are as follows:

MOFIB message board
MOFIB domains
Monetary assets located in paypal and Bank of America, after any financial obligations have been accounted for

The following vote will take place 30 days from this notice, as outlined in the bylaws ucp.php?mode=bylaws.

Item 1) With respect to MOFIB, the message board. You will be presented with the following two options:

1. Dissolve MOFIB the corporation. Offer a zip file, available to the public, containing a clean version of the breeding forums of MOFIB. This information can be set up as a static archive on another site. It will not be possible to set it up as a viable Message Board.
2. Dissolve MOFIB the corporation. Set up a clean copy of the Message Board and establish Luis Magnasco as the Trustee (or Steward) in charge of the Board. Luis can choose several moderators to help run the site. There will not be Board of Directors or an official organization, but the site will function strictly as an internet site, with moderators to insure that posts are answered and remain on topic.

Item 2), with respect to the domains, MarineBreeder.org, MarineBreeder.com, MOFIB.org, MOFIB.com. You will be presented with the following two options:

1. Do nothing with the domains. Allow them to expire and be made available to the general public after they expire. (In approximately 8-12 months.)
2. Allow the domains to continue to be associated with the message board as long as the message board is functioning. This means that if a majority vote allows Luis Magnasco to be the Trustee of the Message Board, the domain names, marinebreeder.com, marinebreeder.org, MOFIB.com and MOFIB.org, will stay with the message board as well. Otherwise, the message board will need to find a new name and a new home.

Item 3), any money that remains, after all bills are accounted for. You will be presented with the following two options:

1. Pay forward for domain registration and hosting fees to help with future costs for the message board.
2. Donate to a nonprofit organization TBD by a majority vote by the members within the next 30 days. (Another vote will be taken after this voting process is complete.)

VOTING PROCESS:
The official date of the vote will begin 30 days from the date of this notice, which is Thursday, 24 May 2012 at approximately 10pm Eastern Standard Time. The voting will be open for a length of 7 days from the time it opens. Once the voting is complete, the results will be posted within 3 days of the close of the election.

VOTING MEMBERS:
The record date for determining Member eligibility to vote is set by this notice date, 24 May 2012. Voting members are determined by the official rules outlined in the bylaws.

Signed and approved by,
MOFIB Board of Directors

So we don't know what board members are responsible for this, and in fact since I have been deleted/banned/blocked by this org (despite being the founder) I couldn't even get into the generally accessible areas to even tell you who the "website software" thinks is still a board member.

That said, looks like MOFIB is truly dead. In perhaps what I can only view as a move that makes sure that virtually no one is happy, and a move that truly shows the lack of understanding of basic website 101 type stuff, what should be a package deal is instead pieced out to the Nth degree, so a handful of voting members (who knows who those people are now either) can make what is probably going to be an uninformed decision. All of this, after I spelled it out rather clearly for the "resigned" BOD member who was actively seeking to "fix" things by spearheading the move to offload MOFIB to another corporation based in Texas.

So while this will probably not be seen by anyone who has a say, here's the problems, once again. I may seem like a "know it all" but damnit, I actually DO know what I'm talking about.

Regarding Choice #1 - in either capacity you are voting to dissolve MOFIB. Your board has given you no other choice. Since I cannot see the bylaws (which are kept private these days), I can only question whether the board has the right (or not) to actually unilaterally decide to dissolve the organization. If they DON'T, I suppose it doesn't matter, because they could just unilaterally change the bylaws to give themselves that right (assuming they can just change the bylaws whenever they feel like it..like the boards have done countless times before). In the end, MOFIB is dead, because the board has pigeonholed whatever voting members they haven't run out of dodge into having only once option - any vote dissolves MOFIB.

So what ARE the secondary options of this line item? Either the board will provide a .zip file of the website to the public (no clue how they will do that), or they will give the website to a former board member who doesn't know how to run and maintain a website last time I checked. Are EITHER of these viable options?

Give the website to Luis - With Luis at the helm, now it all falls back to one man to cherry pick the team that runs the show, and the website becomes his personal property. Bottom line, I have a big problem with Luis Magnasco being the recipient of a website he is not qualified to run, and I have a problem with MOFIB becoming anyone's personal private property. And what happens when Luis doesn't want to do it (just as your board is doing now?). I'm sorry, but the entire reason for setting MOFIB up as MORE than just a personal website was that MOFIB was supposed to live on independent of any one person. A vote for this is a vote to install a "dictator"...and I have a genuine problem with Luis being the appointed leader of MOFIB going forward. Maybe you don't.

Give away a .zip file? - With the other option, I can only assume that the board has somehow figured out a way to save the website in some non-usable format? PDF file perhaps? HTML files saved page by page? I don't know, but it probably won't be a useful resource for anyone. Or more likely, the board is somewhat misrepresenting this option - I doubt that anyone involved has the skills to actually see this option through, nor the motivation if this is the option selected. I think people are going to get NOTHING out of this. Or, maybe, the people proposing this idea really don't understand what they're suggesting, and heck, maybe the entire website's files will be made available in a semi-functional form that could, quite easily, be reconstituted into a live website by anyone with the necessary skills. Since interactive development has been my profession for 15 years, to say that this option is vague is an understatement. I would postulate that if you vote for this option, you basically vote to annihilate the entire online data repository that members have created over the years.

What SHOULD be done with the website files? - I made the statement very clearly - if MOFIB as an organization was unable to function, the assets of MOFIB should be given to a non-profit organization that has the ability to take custodial possession of them. It is quite easy to "lock down" the MOFIB website forums, which should be done, because the leadership core has been dysfunctional for years now - what I started as a beacon of hope that hobbyists could do better, devolved into one of the greatest examples of hobbyist-run organization debacles that I have EVER seen.

An organization like MASNA, MBI, the Breeder's Registry, can easily take over the custodianship the DATA, with the sole responsibility being to keep it available and intact, online. That way it can be searched, reviewed, and referenced going forward. It costs nothing more than the expense of paying a hosting bill and keeping the domains renewed; very, very inexpensive in the grand scheme of things. There is ZERO administrative headache, zero administrative costs, zero ongoing labor or need to moderate, because if the website is locked down in an archival state, nothing will ever CHANGE.

Therefore, I will make two final pleas.

My first plea would be that any organization interested in and capable of accepting and maintaining the MOFIB website in such an archival state, step forward and approach MOFIB's BOD (if you can even figure out who they are).

My second plea would be to Luis Magnasco - you didn't take my advice years back when you had a fiduciary responsibility to do the right thing, and instead helped instigate a coup that forever poisoned the org by empowering those people who shouldn't have had power. You've never apologized, and probably never well, but perhaps you can at least temper your mistake in judgement then, by taking my advice now - If MOFIB's website becomes YOUR website, lock it down and donate it to MASNA, MBI, the Breeder's Registry, and walk away.

OK, regarding the SECOND line item you have to vote on...this is where the BOD once again makes a mistake; twofold.

"Do nothing with the domains?" - Bad, bad, bad, bad, bad. These are domains with years of viability behind them, and that has made them VERY valuable. No doubt certain people already have backorders on them. But the LARGEST Problem is this - the domains should have never been considered separate from the website-files in the first place. Why?

Every reference to an online article or post points back to the website through these domains. And, if people vote to give Luis the website (in choice #1), the data lives on but every link to it is severed UNLESS you make the right choice for the domains then...which would be the second option:

Allow the domains to continue to be associated with the message board as long as the message board is functioning.? This again shouldn't even be a separate item - if you're going to vote to give the website to Luis, he's going to NEED the domains. But here is the alarming part - "Otherwise, the message board will need to find a new name and a new home." As worded, the domains going with the website is contingent on Luis's willingness to keep the website "functioning". Otherwise, the website has to find a new home? (if Luis does not keep it functioning?).

Now, I can concede that perhaps the person who authored this line item mean to say "vote for this item if you vote to give the website files to Luis, because if you don't, Luis will have to set up the "new private MOFIB" with some other domain names. Really, I point all this out to convey a point - the people asking the members to make these decisions are so inept as to not even know what the choices actually mean.

What should be done with the domains?

This is a no brainer in my book - they should be given to the same non-profit entity that the website should be given to. They are REQUIRED in order to keep published literary reference, as well as countless online links to MOFIB data, working. You cannot separate the website from the domains, and if you kill off the website and give it to people in some sort of .zip file, you kill off years of individual contributions to our collective wisdom.

Your last line item - MOFIB MONEY. Here's a problem, because no one knows how much money MOFIB has, nor how much money MOFIB should have. This is perhaps the most controversial part in all this, because from where I sit, this was the MEMBERS money, the SUPPORTERS money. Without a FIRM AND FINAL ACCOUNTING of the MONEY, I think it is premature to ask anyone to decide what to do with it. What "bills" are there? Where has the money gone?

Without a FINAL accounting that is credible, the membership risks permitting a board member to quite literally walk away with the money. As Andy posted above...at one point there was almost $3000...what happened to all of it? I believe I saw some very bad choices being made in terms of never-ending decisions to go with ever-increasingly expensive hosting packages, and no doubt other dubious expenditures have occurred along the way. So maybe at this point, MOFIB really doesn't have any money to speak of anyways?

So my hunch - what you vote here is irrelevant. We don't know who has the money these days, nor how much of it there is. So vote whatever you like, because according to this, there are "bills to pay" anyways...so will there even be any money left after these bills, whatever they may be? Who knows...doesn't seem like the board person who authored this release knows, because certainly the treasurer SHOULD already KNOW what bills there are, and how much money is left when it's done.

That said, what should be done with any "money" that MOFIB has? - GIVE IT to the NON PROFIT that you give the website and the domains to. Case closed. You give them the assets to manage ,and the funds to keep it going for however long those funds last. Then it is up to the NON PROFIT to figure out what next...which of course COULD be a substantial headache if MOFIB's website is stuck on an expensive hosting package (when in reality, it can be run on a $5-15/month hosting plan on a shared server...peanuts).

So here's a wrap-up. Even now, MOFIB's BOD cannot put one simple and cohesive exit strategy together. And that's all that really needed to happen here. And I already spoon fed the plan several times over to a BOD/not-Bod/BOD-Again/wait-I-did-resign MOFIB Board member. GIVE IT ALL TO A NON PROFIT who's willing to "freeze it in time" and move on. The BOD did not need to even come up with a plan B unless this plan didn't pass.

Given this latest failure on the part of the BOD, and give the choice that voting members are being forced to vote between two sets of bad choices, the answer is sad but clear. Vote to give the website to Luis. Vote to give the domains to Luis. Vote to pay up the domain registrations and hosting bill with all the remaining money. And then hold Luis very accountable, and ideally, strongly encourage that Luis then actively seek to implement the exit strategy I laid out in the first place.

OR, somehow convince the BOD to enact a plan C that outlines what I've proposed.

Rook

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an FYI - when a non-profit dissolves it generally MUST donate any assets that remain to a non-profit. Most states require it to be a similar non-profit within the same state, I'm not sure about Illinois. Thus, giving the assets, any or all, to Luis would be illegal, and Luis receiving illegally distributed assets may subject him to some trouble.

Ummfish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(805 ILCS 105/112.16) (from Ch. 32, par. 112.16)
Sec. 112.16. Distribution of assets. The assets of a corporation in the process of dissolution shall be applied and distributed as follows:
(a) All liabilities and obligations of the corporation shall be paid, satisfied and discharged, or adequate provision shall be made therefor;
(b) Assets held by the corporation upon condition requiring return, transfer or conveyance, which condition occurs by reason of the dissolution, shall be returned, transferred or conveyed in accordance with such requirements;
(c) Assets held for a charitable, religious, eleemosynary, benevolent, educational or similar use, but not held upon a condition requiring return, transfer or conveyance by reason of the dissolution, shall be transferred or conveyed to one or more domestic or foreign corporations, societies or organizations engaged in activities substantially similar to those of the dissolving corporation, pursuant to a plan of distribution adopted as provided in this Act;
(d) To the extent that the articles of incorporation or bylaws determine the distributive rights of members, or any class or classes of members, or provide for distribution to others, other assets, if any, shall be distributed in accordance with such provisions;
(e) Any remaining assets may be distributed to such societies, organizations or domestic or foreign corporations, whether for profit or not for profit, as may be specified in a plan of distribution adopted as provided in Section 112.17 of this Act.
(Source: P.A. 84-1423.)

(805 ILCS 105/112.17) (from Ch. 32, par. 112.17)
Sec. 112.17. Plan of distribution. A plan providing for the distribution of assets, not inconsistent with the provisions of this Act, may be adopted by a corporation in the process of dissolution and shall be adopted by a corporation for the purpose of authorizing any transfer or conveyance of assets for which this Act requires a plan of distribution, in the following manner:
(a) Where there are members having voting rights on dissolution, the board of directors shall adopt a resolution recommending a plan of distribution and directing the submission thereof to a vote at a meeting of members having voting rights, which may be either an annual or a special meeting. Written or printed notice setting forth the proposed plan of distribution or a summary thereof shall be delivered to each member entitled to vote at such meeting, within the time and in the manner provided in this Act for the giving of notice of meetings of members. Such plan of distribution shall be adopted upon receiving the affirmative vote of at least two-thirds of the votes present and voted either in person or by proxy, unless any class of member is entitled to vote as a class in respect thereof, in which event the proposed plan of distribution shall be adopted by receiving the affirmative vote of at least two-thirds of the votes of the class present and voted either in person or by proxy. The articles of incorporation or the bylaws may supersede the two-thirds vote requirement of this subsection by specifying any smaller or larger vote requirement not less than a majority of the votes which members entitled to vote on such matters shall vote, either in person or by proxy at a meeting at which there is a quorum.
(b) Where there are no members having voting rights, a plan of distribution shall be adopted at a meeting of the board of directors upon receiving the vote of a majority of the directors in office.
(Source: P.A. 84-1423.)

http://ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs5.asp?ActID=2280&ChapterID=65

Ummfish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just from my reading, it looks like educational assets must be transferred to a similar organization. Other assets can be distributed as they would. I'm not versed in this, though. Does the website count as an educational property? Education was certainly one of the goals of the org. as addressed by early mission statements and I believe the website was held up in the mission statement as part of the educational purpose.

mpedersen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ummfish":14ec7ns7 said:
Just from my reading, it looks like educational assets must be transferred to a similar organization. Other assets can be distributed as they would.

And again, I'd make the point that the domains are an integral part of the website - you cannot view those separately. And yes, because other articles and even scientific papers reference MOFIB's website content, to separate the two, or to let the website be "shut off", is a loss of information to the community at large.

So really, from where I sit, it's websitefiles+domains = Website, and Money. Those are the TWO things that need to be figured out.

Matt

Ummfish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, Matt, I assume that all rational beings would agree with that. Now, whether a court or the board of directors of MOFIB would agree, well. . . .

Rook

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The articles or incorporation may have restrictions as well as the Bylaws. I cannot remember for certain.

Ummfish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well. . .

. . . I doubt it, especially given the recent history of former board members lobbying (what they thought were) board members to take over MOFIB domains after the organization shuts down.

mpedersen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly...and when you put it in that context, wow. I had forgotten about that thread (where a certain former board member had been emailing other board members trying to re-obtain the domains as personal property).

Afterall, this all started with a donation of domains, that were then applied to the website under everyone's agreement. But then those domains were withheld improperly to use in a form of blackmail to obtain access to the org's money, which was what caused the problems that led to the two board members and some other volunteers hijacking the website and throwing me out all those years back.

And ever since that time, it seems that this person in question still wants control over those donations...and has stopped at nothing to the point of even deleting my account from the website, in an effort to derail the org and get "his" domains "back". And for what purpose? Only he really knows, but it's just one of the large undercurrents of leadersihp toxicity that ensured that MOFIB could not function properly, long after the person who was blamed ("me") had been nullified and ejected from leadership. I continue to feel vindicated since the problems persisted and worsened long after I was "removed", but yes, again, incredibly sad to have seen greedy people ruin something that good people believed in and fought so hard, and for so long, to make right. I said it before and I'll say it again - MOFIB is an unparalleled debacle of hobbyist-based leadership, a true case study for how badly things can go when the wrong people take on positions of leadership and refuse to let go at any cost.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: