• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Rob_Reef_Keeper

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 60%
3   2   0
Got the results and besides low iodine I am not sure it’s that bad

Attachments

• IMG_4709.jpeg
    IMG_4709.jpeg
    92 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4710.jpeg
    IMG_4710.jpeg
    96.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4711.jpeg
    IMG_4711.jpeg
    103.8 KB · Views: 0

Rob_Reef_Keeper

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 60%
3   2   0
No nuisance algae except some bubble algae in the overflow.

Coraline has covered all the rock and allot on the back glass.

Yet corals don’t last. My guess it’s the lights. Gonna drop the radions down to 40% and switch to los template which is mostly the blues leds only.

kidninja

Nemo Assassin
Rating - 100%
169   0   0
i read recently that a reefer was loosing a bunch of corals and found out that his water contained high levels of chlorine which can't be removed via rodi. he only found out because his area was fixing street plumbing in the neighborhood

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Didn't see it mentioned on the thread - what livestock do you have in the tank? Have you noticed any flatworms or inverts you don't recognize come out (especially at night)? I would suggest looking at the tank an hour or so after lights out.

I know it's unlikely, but have you ever kept a sea cuc or anemone that died in your tank? About 10 years ago I had a tiger tail that died that took down my whole tank (had the cuc for 2 years before that).

Have you ever used copper additives (or any additives for that matter) in the system?

Also, have you done a WC since the original post? If so, what percentage? I notice nitrates are down from 25, so assuming something was done.

Stability of parameters is key, but if you have reasonable suspicion that there is a toxin in the water affecting the corals that resulted from an isolated incident then I would suggest going for the large WC of 30 - 40% and then maybe doing another one again in 2 weeks time if your softies dont perk up. Will your LPS and SPS back track? Absolutely. But it is temporary and they'll eventually readjust after a few weeks.

A while ago I ran into a similar situation, corals were healthy and then one day everything (even my xenia and GSP) was shriveled up for about 2 weeks until I realized the day the tank started to decline my kid accidentally threw a puzzle piece that landed in the tank and only found it about a half hour after it happened. I did a 40%WC and that literally brought everything back to life after a few days. There must have been some sort of chemical in the adhesive on the puzzle piece or something.

Also, I've heard from another reefer that has a tank full of show pieces that after 12 months his tank unexpectedly crashed but eventually got over the hill and has been running a beautiful tank filled with hard to care SPS since. He mentioned hearing the same happen to others.

I will say that with torches/hammers there is a point of no return that once they cross there's no saving them. It could be conditions are improving even though the torches are dying.

Stay strong. We've all been there.

Rob_Reef_Keeper

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 60%
3   2   0
No additives other than ca, all, mag. No cucs. I have not seen worms in the tank.

Did a 30g water change last week no change in response so far. One colony of Zoas is open. The colony next to it won’t open anymore. Get other colonies barely open.

1 hammer single head. Opens but no growth in months. I have a devils hand that opens but has not grown in a year. 2 mushrooms that don’t grow/split.

All other hammers, torches, frogspawns are gone.

Snails, crabs fish appear ok.

Changing the lights to a bluer setting has not change anything in the tank. I know things take time but I don’t see any change.

If the ICP test shows nothing. Coraline algae has covered everything. Fish live. I guess it can only be the lighting. Either I spend $600 on a PAR meter or maybe replace the lights. Or figure out how to tune them.

I would love for a fellow reefer in the area to come by and give me their thoughts or what I am missing here.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: