• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Chip wrote:

Yeah, either your lights suck or that coral sucks

My tank isn't really set up for this type of coral. Having said that, I still think that this is a poor clone.

I don't feed it or do anything to keep it happy. I put it on the bottom of the tank so that it doesn't get sun burned, and I put it in a lower flow area. If it needs to be feed to show it's true colors, then it'll stay a drab looking coral. I ain't into hand feeding stuffs.

Louey

A

Anonymous

Louey what do you feed your sailfin? Mine doesn't like any sort of prepared foods (algae flakes, red flakes, artipods, mysis) but I do see him picking at the rocks occasionally so I'm hoping he's getting adequate food.

Btw I'll fight back! ... but I wont post a full tank shot. ;)

Limited Edition?

Attachments

• undata.jpg
    undata.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 1,566
A

Anonymous

Looks like the Idaho Grape Monti to me. That is an LE.

My sailfin eats anything. Frozen formula one, frozen prime reef, OSI marine flake, OSI spirulina, seaweed select on a clip, cheato on a clip, and he grazes all day long. He's a good fish. I like him alot. Tough fish. Found a daggar wound in my larger atlantic blue tang a few weeks ago. They generally get along though.

Louey

fishinchick

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dualling reef tanks!

Reef shots at 20 paces!!

I want a clean fight. No shots below the waist please! :lol:

(those you can PM directly to me). ;)

RobertoVespucci

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sfsuphysics - That's really cool the way you got the epoxy to look all drippy that way. Did you squeeze it out in front of a powerhead?

Louey, noob question again, but which one is the 'watermelon clone' and what is that? I couldn't tell which/what was behind the clam.

Oh, and I was just kidding about the epoxy, sfsu. I take it that's some sort of ricordea? I really like the color. Did I mention I'm available for manual labor?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a shot of my Sailfin and Atlantic Blue tangs feeding from the algea clip..

Louey

Attachments

• July 2006 update 030.jpg
    July 2006 update 030.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 1,558
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roberto wrote:

Louey, noob question again, but which one is the 'watermelon clone' and what is that? I couldn't tell which/what was behind the clam.

It's the one closest to the clam. The small clam, not the big one. It is just to the right of the deresa. It's supposed to be read with green edges, instead it is dang near brown with greenish/yellow edges.

Louey

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a close up of the watermelon that I just took.

I guess it does have a redish tint to it.

Louey

Attachments

• July 2006 update.jpg
    July 2006 update.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 1,553
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Louey":3dza6olv said:

Looks like one perhaps, but I sure as hell didn't pay for one. I'm can't be sure of a lineage, and some of those LE people don't like people claiming to have LEs unless they know for sure where it came from. Eitherway I got a frag for $10 of this (this is actually a frag that occured when one of my rocks fell over :().

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sfsuphysics wrote:

I'm can't be sure of a lineage, and some of those LE people don't like people claiming to have LEs unless they know for sure where it came from

I wouldn't sell it as an LE if you are unsure. I'm sure you wouldn't have any problems selling frags of that coral as it is quite beautiful. You got a great deal for $10 too.

Louey

Meloco14

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sfsuphysics":x97kwtlb said:
Louey":x97kwtlb said:

Looks like one perhaps, but I sure as hell didn't pay for one. I'm can't be sure of a lineage, and some of those LE people don't like people claiming to have LEs unless they know for sure where it came from. Eitherway I got a frag for $10 of this (this is actually a frag that occured when one of my rocks fell over :().

It looks very similar to the idaho grape frag I got from Karl.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Louey":34mmu17c said:
sfsuphysics wrote:

I'm can't be sure of a lineage, and some of those LE people don't like people claiming to have LEs unless they know for sure where it came from

I wouldn't sell it as an LE if you are unsure. I'm sure you wouldn't have any problems selling frags of that coral as it is quite beautiful. You got a great deal for $10 too.

Louey
I wouldn't sell it period, well ok maybe in the future when my tank is overgrown and I have to do constant pruning and have no room for any new coral frags I'll sell some of my stuff remembering that I didn't pay much for it either. Right now though I'm more than happy to give away frags even if it's a trade for something "of less value" (whatever that means really). We got a good community of reefers in this area, and I've given away quite a few niceties :) Oh yah I do have a few frags of a "true" idaho grape... quite honestly though they're small so don't really shoot out like this one, this is actually a large frag of my teacup saucer sized that I'm keeping, this is going out to a fellow reefer.

I got a couple other montiporas I like, a green with purple rim cap (not Leng Sy :)), one I dub "The Phoenix Cap" (because it came back from the ashes of oblivion it's bright orange with a pink rim and pink polyps, and another super bright pink encrusting one (I'm unsure of species).

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I couldn't resist, here's my "The Phoenix Cap" :) I recently chopped up the mother colony into about 7 frags or so, this is the largest so this is MINE :)

Picture is a bit over saturated though, I'm still not sure how to take good pics of corals that are right under the bulb like this.

Attachments

• 2006-07-12 (new cutting)small.JPG
    2006-07-12 (new cutting)small.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,522
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice stuff! THose frags would look better in my tank though.

I dont think Len has a tank.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasser wrote:

Looks like you left your lunch box by the tank

Actually, that's the cooler that Sang Lee (Maximus) used to ship some frags to me. Quite a few reefers use coolers for shipping and the hold up great. They are crush proof and you don't have to worry about them shipping the box upside down. I now have a collection of 5 different coolers that various people have used to ship me some corals. It's the way to go. When my corals start overgrowing the tank, I'll be shipping out frags in them.

Louey

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sfsuphyics wrote:

Right now though I'm more than happy to give away frags

When I was fragging out of my old 75G, I would gladly give away a frag of anything to any local reefer visiting my house. I also traded frags to my LFS's for store credit. The problem is, Fort Myers is a relatively small town. My fast growing corals saturated the market in no time. They weren't LE's or really anything worth shipping. I got to where I regularly threw out some clippings. I hated that. That's one of the reason I decided to load this tank with higher end frags that should have high demand once they start crowding each other and need to be clipped. I hope to make some money later to help off-set the maintenance cost of this tank, which is quite high (but worth every nickle.)

Louey

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I totally understand, if I paid for even a fraction of the frags you have I'd want some payback on them too :) And I totally can understand about the cost of a tank, maybe not as much as some of you who require chillers and have multiple 400w MH bulbs over your tank, but I see the electric bill every month :)

Problem with coral keeping/selling is that it's almost a pyramid scheme, by the time you get a bunch of your stuff grown out it's become a lot more common of a piece and as such has less of a value :D

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: