• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

coralite1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey John did you get permission to reproduce that? I have Volumes 1953 and 1954 of Dr. Innes' "The Aquarium," I've wanted to share as you have but didn't want to be infringin. There a few articles pertaining to marine fish. Among them, the introduction of a new kind of "centrifugal" pump, the first recorded spawning of ocellaris clowns and a picture of a maroon labeled as a percula clown

John_Brandt

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coralite,

I wouldn't even know where to get permission. Straughan passed away years ago, and there isn't even a publisher listed on the brochure. If his estate wants to come after me I would welcome it. That way I could inquire about any historical archives or materials they may have. I have a collection of personal signed letters from him describing aquarium care from the mid-1960's that I might scan and place here too.

I also have the Innes volumes that you speak of. I have no clue about their present copyright protection. If you don't want to place them here, I just might :wink:

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is so awesome. I bet they also used natural window lighting to do the bulk of the work, seeing is all they had for manmade lighting was standard incandescent? I never thought about the natural seawater. Particulates, ca+, carbonate, traces, everything but the lights. I remember seeing Eng's layout in a popular mag (?) three months ago, he had sabellids and echinoderms galore.

John I also tripped out seeing you in this latest edition of FAMA I believe, with that gentleman president of Sumatra? I know Im wrong on the country but I remember he was also a great advocate of reef preservation and it was very cool to see you guys in the pic and article. I remember he has since passed away, my regards.

Brandon M.

John_Brandt

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brandon,

You should see some of the photos of Straughan's nanos from 1960 :wink:

I think that some of Eng's aquariums were outdoors. Straughan advocated bright lighting and lots of water movement for his "reef tanks", and he mentioned that Eng didn't use vigorous water motion. Anyway, there were live coral and live rock tanks going in Florida as early as 1960, possibly even earlier.

The picture you saw of me was from the new TFH magazine with the late Tauese Sunia, Governor of American Samoa. Thanks for the sympathy. He was a good friend.

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If we're talking something less than 20g I'd bet another 50$ that is the first nano ever designed and put into action. Dying to see pics, do you have any links or would you post some from your collection? Ill run a google on his name and aquarium designs, hopefully that will turn out something as well.

John_Brandt

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are talking 2 gallons for Straughan's nanos. He was doing mangrove set-ups as well; almost perfectly replicated by Julian Sprung.

But what will shock you is the seemingly ridiculously high fish stocking levels that Straughan advocated.

I'm hesitant to say that anything in particular was the very first whatever. There are references to small marine aquariums from Victorian times.

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two gallons holy smoke

OOOhm <-----

early pico guru. heck if a book is written on the subject it needs to include these early pioneers you mention, then pictures and descriptions of people keeping them today. I am now going to be in trouble at work as I spend my time looking for early nano and pico reefs. Ill start with google and then go to the library at Texas Tech to see if they have anything. How fun!

B

John_Brandt

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The use of natural seawater cannot be discounted in the successes of early marine aquarists like Straughan and Eng. That and having very easy access to ultra-premium live rock must be considered.

I know that Straughan would just pitch any coral that started to die in his tanks and go grab another from the ocean. Eng may very well have had to do this too, but just didn't write about it. Can we really believe that Eng had no occurences of coral disease and death? Straughan wrote copiously about aquarium-keeping and his good/bad experiences. Eng did not.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet they also used natural window lighting to do the bulk of the work, seeing is all they had for manmade lighting was standard incandescent?
No, more advanced lighting is available back then, just that more light -> more algae, so no one really want more trouble.

John_Brandt

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though Straughan strongly advocated bright light for coral tanks he was vague about what to do about it. He recommended locating them in bright rooms.

Some of Straughan's indoor nanos seem to have no artificial lighting at all.

I don't know what Eng was saying about light.

coralite1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey John, do yu have the 1975 Neon goby book? If not, I know where another new one is available for cheap. On ald TFH book based on someone's dissertation project.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: