• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

John_Brandt

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my collection of antique marine aquarium memorabilia:

Attachments

• straughanmanual1.jpg
    straughanmanual1.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 2,385

PeeJ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HAHAHA....remove all corals once every 6 weeks...good stuff...cause wed all love to take out our live rock and coral and hose it down with freaking FRESH WATER........even for 1954 seems like an abviously bad thing to do.

PeeJ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the more i read the more i laugh...20 gallons is sufficient....ha...if 20 gallons is big, then wed all be the kings of reefing

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 gallon tank : One French Angel !!!

Yeah, watch the wonder...the wonder of quick death...

Peace,

Chip

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm waiting for one of you to pop up and reminisce "Ah, the memories.." :lol:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those stocking levels are crazy! I can't imagine that anyone following that manual was very successful.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
John, that collection of yours must really be something.

"The Lowly Ones: Invertebrates, Sea Anemones, Sea Slugs..." :P

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't imagine that anyone following that manual was very successful.
10 years from now, people will probably make the very same comment about us too.

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are talking about using dead coral branches and rinsing them to prevent algae fouling. Mr. Eng must have been impressing the hell out of them at that time, wasn't that right avout the time he was the first to keep captive live inverts?

MLVA123

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
brandon429":1x9rxv5a said:
They are talking about using dead coral branches and rinsing them to prevent algae fouling. Mr. Eng must have been impressing the hell out of them at that time, wasn't that right avout the time he was the first to keep captive live inverts?

Yeah, and he was ridiculed by most who didn't understand his very progressive theories!

John_Brandt

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
minime":2hwi3g24 said:
John, that collection of yours must really be something.

"The Lowly Ones: Invertebrates, Sea Anemones, Sea Slugs..." :P

I do have some pretty amazing things. I'll be sharing some of it with you. Take a peek at the 1968 wholesale marine livestock price list.

John_Brandt

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
brandon429":1eq87byu said:

In fact, Robert Straughan was keeping corals, other invertebrates and live rock in aquariums in Miami at the same time as Eng. Straughan in many ways was a pioneer in the USA, and unlike Eng he wrote numerous books on saltwater aquarium keeping.

Both Eng and Straughan has a distinct advantage, that would still apply today. They both used natural seawater.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: