• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

fishfarmer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote
My water has tested fine by my LFS. They thought perhaps an Iodine deficit and I've started adding Lugol's in hopes things will improve.

What did your LFS test for? I wouldn't bother dosing iodine right now especially if you're not testing for it.

What type of water are you using for water changes, RO/DI, well, tap?

If I were you I would do a decent water change, 50%. Get the water tested again after the change and see what happens. I'm thinking you have something toxic in your tank that causing the loss or possibly a few corals got stressed/damaged from your dealings with the mantis.

mrgoont

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here's an equipment list of my tank:
90 gal
CPR Wet/Dry with a CPR protein skimmer
UV Sterilizer
1 Rio 2100 powerhead
2 Rio 600 powerheads behind rocks
3 strips of Compact Flo...actinic in front, 10k in the middle and 50/50 in back

Species have changed alot recently since I found a Mantis in the tank. Had a good mixture of turbo snails, blue legs, red legs, 2emerald crabs, 6 pepperment shrimps, 2 cleaner shrimp, 1 coral banded, 2 brittle stars, 2 white sand stars

Fish: Yellow Tang (died) 2 Pecula clowns (still alive) 3 green Chromis (all dead) 2 hippo tangs (both died)

All the numbers have changed now...I no longer have any emeralds or peppermint shrimp. My guess is the Mantis took them all out and even some of my fish.

My concern is my corals. Star Polyps no longer come out, mushrooms are dying at a rapid pace, and my open brain has its skeleton exposed and appears to be dying. My water has tested fine by my LFS. They thought perhaps an Iodine deficit and I've started adding Lugol's in hopes things will improve. I used to do a weekly 10% water change but am leaning toward the monthly method. I did a 25% water change last week.

This has me guessing as to the source and my LFS is really confused as well. Could the Mantis be the problem? Could Aptaisia that has begun to appear lately be the problem? Or perhaps an Iodine issue? Please help...any suggestions or ideas will be greatly appreciated.
icon_smile.gif

mrgoont

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS tested PH, alkalinity, Calcium, salinity, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, phosphates and found nothing that would raise concern.

I do my water changes with RO and I did a 25% change last week. So you're suggesting I do a 50% today? My open brain is really getting worse...skeleton is exposed and it has a film over the rest of its body almost as if its try to repair itself or its just dying. That's my nicest piece of coral and Im afraid I can't save it.

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, massive water changes now!

do it! ;-)

seriously.. if there's something toxic in the tank, the best thing is to find it... have you tested for copper or other 'poisons'?

and, the larger the percentage of water you change, the more effect it will have.

when you're crashing, more is better!

mrgoont

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I tested for Copper and found nothing. I'm going to do a massive water change again today....should I dose with calcium, essential elements, strontium and iodine?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, don't worry about trace elements right now. Just do the water change, test the levels, and see what happens.
Sorry things aren't going well.

Marcosreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by mrgoont:
<strong>Yes I tested for Copper and found nothing. I'm going to do a massive water change again today....should I dose with calcium, essential elements, strontium and iodine?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes, I agree with Moe K, Any element that is deficient will be replaced with the large water change. Don't get discouraged, it may take awhile for things to stabilize once again.

Have you tried using carbon in your filter? Lugol's is very strong, so please be careful dosing it. It can/might cause further irritation to your inhabitants if too much gets dosed.

I would hold off any additives for the time being until things get back to normal. Let us know how it turns out.
icon_smile.gif

mrgoont

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok Im in the process of making some more fresh RO for the water change. I'm hoping 35 gallons is enough since thats the most I can do with the buckets I have.

I have a bit of good news...I just caught the Mantis using the plastic bottle trap. He crawled right into the bottle 10 min after I put it in. Now lets hope that solves 1 problem.

Thanks for all your help on this...I'll keep you all posted
icon_smile.gif

mrgoont

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marco,

No I havn't tried using carbon which maybe would be a good idea afterall. I could hang a canister filter off the side of the tank and run it thru carbon for a couple days. Would you recommend that or just wait to see what happens with the water change?

Marcosreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mrgoont,
How about trying both. This way you can dilute with water changes, and filter anything that the water changes might have missed. Use a good quality carbon (e.g. Two Little Fishies Hydrocarbon or Kent Marine's Reef Carbon).

HARRISON

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope things clear up for you...

I had something that went wrong in my tank and I never really pinned it down. Like you all the parameters seemd to be right but the animals were not acting like they normally do. Frogspawn wasn't open and my softies didn't open up. I ended up losing a couple small clams and an elegans in the process which was pretty alarming considering that my losses have been very low throughout the time I have had the tank.

I am surprised that your LFS didn't have you do the mass water change and start carbon immediately. The guys are giving good advice in my opinion and that is pretty much what I have done too. I didn't have as big a crash but I knew something was wrong so I started doing 15 gallon water changes every other day for a couple weeks. (I have an 80 gal with 30 gal refug/sump) Things have been doing better and my frogspawn has slowly started coming out further and further every day. The remaining clams look fully extended and happy. The water is crystal clear and the tank is looking much better but it has taken a while.

Don't get discouraged or do anything rash. Flush out the system with lots of water and dilute the bad stuff out. I wouldn't waste time with additives until you start slowing down on the changes. One other thing, I am not sure in an emergency water change if I would wait for an RO unit. I just mixed up the salt with tap and let it go over night with a large pump stirring it then put it in after dechlore. As I had time I started making RO again.

Good luck!!!

mrgoont

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to add tap since it's an emergency...my only fear is my tap is high in Chlorine and phosphates and would just further the stress levels in my tank.

My LFS only suggested Iodine...never said a word about a massive water change. Seems to me I get more quality advice on here than I do where I spend my money. Funny how that works.

SPC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry about the phosphates right now, use a chlorine remover for the other.
Steve

Ben 4

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest that in addition to the carbon and water changes you try a poly-filter. This will help to further reduce any toxins that may be in the tank.

mrgoont

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now what do you mean by stray voltage?

Several months ago one of my Rio powerheads shorted out in the tank and gave off a nasty odor.

sparks

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd ditch the rios from what i've read about them.
Are you positive your skimmer is working 100%.
I had a similar semi crash 12 months ago and blamed every thing, and after much frustration found my skimmer was'nt working, i just thought the lack of skimmate meant the tank was pollutant free. The skimmer probably had'nt worked properly for 2 months.
Definately add charcoal and do a big water change.

Marcosreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by mrgoont:
<strong>Several months ago one of my Rio powerheads shorted out in the tank and gave off a nasty odor.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hmmm... I think we are on to something! Do a search on Rio powerheads, and you will see that a few people have almost lost their entire reef (If not everything) to these burning out. The nasty odor is the material (tar?) used to insulate the motor burning.

Good call dattack! I noticed too he had a few rio's in there.
icon_smile.gif

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: