• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Reef Man

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read the post, but The tube doesn´t look with enough bubbles. That is why I am asking. I think that a good skimmer looks like a withe tube where all the bubbles are working.
icon_wink.gif

jdeets

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK--here's what I'm saying. Your skimmer may need two pumps. One will be the water pump/powerhead whose primary function is to circulate water through the skimmer. The second pump will be an air pump, to increase the amount of air going into the skimmer.

Throttle back the water pump/powerhead (or close the exit valve) to adjust the water level in the skimmer as I previously suggested. Use an air pump to increase air input, if you're not getting enough bubbles.

The problem is that if this is a venturi skimmer that slowing the flow of the water pump will slow the flow of water over and around the venturi, and reduce bubbles--and you want more bubbles. On the other hand, increasing water flow may have the result of pulling all the bubbles out through the bottom before they have an adequate opportunity to mix and collect to make foam.

So, what to do? If this is a venturi skimmer, then here's what I'd try. First, turn on the Hagen and adjust the outflow of the skimmer as I mentioned above. If there are not enough bubbles, then I'd utilize an air pump. First try using the air pump to force air through the venturi tube. That may not work well, since you *might* just get big bubbles that aren't effective. If it doesn't seem to work well by forcing air down the venturi tube, then I'd move the air pump and instead of forcing air down the venturi tube, I'd run the air line to the INTAKE of the Hagen, along with the water, so that air would go through the impeller of the powerhead and be chopped up into fine bubbles.

If none of these suggestions cause any improvement, then I'd seriously consider another skimmer.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: