• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
now i'm reading that activated carbon may cause this also...
i run carbon 24/7
I wouldn't give that idea too much credit...I've been running carbon for well over twenty years and never had a fish suffer from HLLE...many have died from other reasons..LOL......it's caused from either stress, which weakens a fish's immune system and leads to all types of diseases or more commonly a poor diet....tangs need alot of algae based foods because that is what they feed on primarily in nature...

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Water quality, and even more important diet is what I believe causes Lateral Line.:(

I received a Purple Tang with a nasty little case of it a few months back. It has been in my reef eating a sheet of Nori per day (increasing to twice per day), as well as Rotifeast, Oysterfeast, frozen Mysis Shrimp - Formula 1 cubes, Large Angelfish food cubes, Dwarf Angelfish food cubes, cyclopeeze cubes, pysis shrimp. All of the frozen foods are thawed rinsed, and then soaked in Selcon, Vitamin C, VitaChem for at least 15 minutes.

I have to apologize for the quality of the pix. I am no good with the cam & reef. The fish has become much faster making it difficult for me to take it's pic.
This 1st. pic is of the right side of the PT when I first got it.
PurpleTanglatterallineRightSide_zps0b6885b4.jpg

This one is after. Blurry but you can see the HLLE has almost gone.;) I will continue to try for a clearer one.
PurpleTangLatterallineRightsideafter_zps2ba5354a.jpg

This is the left side before.
Purpletangslatterallineleftside1_zps79b11012.jpg

Left side after 8 months in my reef. Again I will continue to try for less blurry pix.
PurpleTangLatterallineLeftsideafter4_zpsa55f6691.jpg

Attachments

• PT Left side.jpg
    PT Left side.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 80
  • PT Right side.jpg
    PT Right side.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

44santababy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
i have a yellow tang, eats awesome. With the lights on during the day i cant see anything and he looks perfect with nice yellow color and fat. When the blues only come on i can see what looks like this disease around one eye. Is this possible? Or is this disease easy to see with the day lights on? Just a concerned yellow tang owner...sorry for the hi-jack!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: