• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

rrudo74901

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
As I understand, how these outside utility providers work is they provide cheaper rates for the bulk electric, the cable owner, CE or LIPA in these cases, still get their fee for the use of their cables to supply the power to the customer. However, I thought the catch was you had to "lock in" on an amount of power you will utilize. For example, if your peak is 300kwh per month, then you have to buy the whole 300kwh even if you do not use it. If you go over the amount you purchased, hold on because the local utlity now has to pick up that slack and they charge you their retail rate which is higher than you are paying per unit now. Unless things have changed, there is a balance between buying more power than you require to insure you don't "over use" and not having enough and getting fleeced on the overage rate.

saltwaterinbrooklyn

Pro hobby anti profit!
Rating - 100%
132   0   0
Not with the people I went with, you only pay for what you use and your rate is locked in for a set time frame , like I got a lower rate despite the monthly changes I normally endured with con Ed, and I dreaded the Realy hot months cause they had higher rates for these months , some peak and off peak crap , I now pay for it as I use it and my bill went from an average of 175 to 126 so I did notice the difference in savings and although it's not a great deal of money , it's still my money and I like paying less, imagine for the guys running metal halide bulbs!!!

rrudo74901

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hey things may have changed, but with an outside provider you should read the contract carefully, there is always a downside otherwise everyone would change, right? This has been around for year since deregulation in 1996. If there was no downside, CE would be forced to reduce their rates to compete or everyone would defect.
Here is a link with the history and how to change providers.
http://energy.whitefence.com/article/2010/06/history-electricity-deregulation-new-york

saltwaterinbrooklyn

Pro hobby anti profit!
Rating - 100%
132   0   0
Oh absolutely I totally understand what you mean !!!, I was screaming pyramid scheme for days lol till I looked into it, and the thing is that I dont think a lot of people know enough about being able to switch over!!! Some people for example don't change cell providers cause they are afraid to lose the cell number they have had for years lol they are just not informed!! Look at that , this took effect in 1996 ?!? I just learned about it!!

Juggernot55

Renegade Reefer
Rating - 100%
216   0   0
Another way to lower your bill is to install what i just installed in a member heres home. Its called the electric saver 1200. Its basically a capacitor, which stores all the current that is not used when starting a motor. When your pumps turn on or A/C theres is a electrical spike For the first couple of seconds to the motor begins to run steady. Whatever voltage is not used this capacitor stores and lets you use later. If not you are being charged for current your not using. As an electrician i see the concept and think it will work great. You can google it and read the reviews. You might be able to save more than $4.

stbarnabas

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
juggernot install it to my house last week and this is my first month so ill see if i can save a lot on it .......... not right away ..

mbg75

DIATOM MAGNET
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
It will make start up of your equipment less demanding, but don't expect to see much difference in electric usage.
Most residential is billed on kilowatts which is voltage multiplied by amperage.
Capacitor will lower your amperage draw on startup. Great to save stress on electric motors But also raises the voltage. Therefore still using the same amount.
These have been used industrial applications for a long time to correct power factor for where the utility bills extra fee for power factor correction.

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
Well if you put this into consideration...
The large amounts of drawn current are not from the unit itself running... it's from the multiple start ups throughout the day. So the Capacitor holds a charge until the demanding draw is needed and supplies that request removing strain.
Yes capacitors do work... and will allow for a few $ saved... a large saving... not in the very least... but over the course of a summer, it's a few dollars more in your pocket.

Juggernot55

Renegade Reefer
Rating - 100%
216   0   0
well if you put this into consideration...
The large amounts of drawn current are not from the unit itself running... It's from the multiple start ups throughout the day. So the capacitor holds a charge until the demanding draw is needed and supplies that request removing strain.
Yes capacitors do work... And will allow for a few $ saved... A large saving... Not in the very least... But over the course of a summer, it's a few dollars more in your pocket.

+1

Mario

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got Energy Savers to give me a contract for Electric at 5.6c a KWH. (gas which is incidental here is at 56c a Therm). The problem is Con Edison and their rip off delivery charges as well as the huge taxes we pay in NYS....including a 'temporary surcharge' for the last three years

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Glad you found a way to "save money" on your electric bill. Back when the NY energy market was deregulated and periodically from time to time Con Edison sends you a letter about something called the PowerMove program.

It's basically a 7% discount AUTOMATICALLY off your entire bill when you change to an ESCO (energy supply company versus what ConEd has). What ConEd does is it usually picks whatever is available for your local region and determines a market rate of electric/gas based on your geographic region's usage and what the market dictates so you do see your per watt/therm rate fluctuate from month to month.

Keep in mind that the Majority of your electric bill is made up of the delivery charge, and although the whatever % in fixed dollar amounts is NOT much over time things add up. It can be a free coffee a month to a free dinner a month depending on you, where you live, etc.

I'm sure your friend had his reasons for joining Verdian and other people's friends have their reasons for joining various MLM companies (they all have different pay out structures). I advise ALL of my clients NOT to do fixed plans, only because there is a high possibility you end up paying more. It's basically the equivalent of a Debit vs Creditcard argument (some people like seeing the money taken out immediately). Some people enjoy seeing a "set" rate (this doesn't fix your service charges from ConEd which vary). It's a mental thing. In the end, with the energy market the rate works itself out. In addition, when you go with fixed rate plans many times the fine print isn't read based on your trust of your representative (and some don't even know). Usually fixed rate plans lock you in for a certain time period and there can be a early cancellation fee charged. I show all my clients the energy company options and all their promises and perks.

Ambit Energy is the ONLY energy company that can validate and gaurantee you the AT LEAST 1% savings. They basically do the math between their supplier rate and your incumbents rate and charge you whatever it is. If it's the same rate, Ambit cuts you a check for the 1% (most of the time it is a lot less, my customers save anywhere from 3 to as much as 20% in a year).

Feel free to hit me up with any questions. Also for the Long Island guys, sorry LIPA hasn't opened up their electric market for my company. Only the gas.

Disclosure: I am an Ambit Energy Consultant, although it is not my full time job I do it to help people out. I also advise them on how to make their houses more green and save even more money. It's a side service I provide to my customers.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: