• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Paolissimo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
Why are Jason Fox corasl soo expensive? I know they are beautiful corals, but are they soo rare to justify the price tag? Are they unique morphs that happen in his tanks? I read that he works out of his basement, so does anybody know what he uses in his tanks? Was just curious since r2r posted a video on a new tank that he just set up with some amazing corals that I will never own..lol

Paolissimo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
I have about 12 different SPS pieces from him. They have all fluorished and done beautiful. Well worth the investment. Isn't propagated coral why we keep these things in our tanks?
Wow 12 pieces, that's a lot of money..lol..Like I said they are beautiful corals, and I am assuming very healthy, but are they unique to him? Sometimes those corals look Photoshopped, are they that colorful in your tank?

bizzarro

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought his corals and other "designer names" are supposed to be more than captive reef corals like it has some better colors or something to justify the higher cost.

Did anyone ever compare designer name corals vs standard run of the mill?

Paolissimo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
i want to agree with skene, but the only time i saw a jason fox coral was at coral theory, i think it was a chalice, and that thing really really was bright, very bright colors. So in a way, i think is just a business trap, to charge more, but his coral was beautiful

fab1971

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
cause they are so sweet. Blow most other pieces out of the water.

IMG_1568.jpg

IMG_0587.jpg

IMG_1903.jpg

IMG_2020.jpg

IMG_1392.jpg

jhart

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Cause people pay his prices if they didnt he would have to lower his prices....

+1

I don't know who he is or seen any of his corals but more power to him and people like him.. If they can sell high priced corals , excuse me frags for high prices then there doing something right.
I personally wouldn't spend over $100 for a 1 eye chalice frag like some people are selling, or $100 a polyp , to me it just seems like slap rare , or a super rare in front of the name or add a stupid cartoon character name ect and people will buy it.

Although in defense some corals are just expensive.. And grow slow and over head is crazy,, But for those people running frag business's out of there garage or from the tanks in the bedroom. There just crazy, and if you support them they can charge what ever they want. I look at some of the prices people ask for certain things and I LMFAO.
BTW I'm selling part of the brooklyn bridge if anyones interested..

fab1971

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
There are differences in corals and prices. There are pieces that are dull, grey, blue or maybe two colored and you can buy them anywhere for a low price (I have plenty of shrooms and red monti frags that I can't give away) . Of course you also have pieces that are amazingly bright, great designs and contrast or multiple colors. Those pieces you'll find in the higher cost range. Just like anything in life, this hobby is determined by beauty and rarity. sports memorablia, sports cars, exotic animals, expensive jewelry, vintage wines, fine dining and designer clothes. You get what you pay for in this hobby, as in life. And not everyone is into these things but that is your right. The hobby is beautiful from both worlds.

jr973

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
415   0   0
There are differences in corals and prices. There are pieces that are dull, grey, blue or maybe two colored and you can buy them anywhere for a low price (I have plenty of shrooms and red monti frags that I can't give away) . Of course you also have pieces that are amazingly bright, great designs and contrast or multiple colors. Those pieces you'll find in the higher cost range. Just like anything in life, this hobby is determined by beauty and rarity. sports memorablia, sports cars, exotic animals, expensive jewelry, vintage wines, fine dining and designer clothes. You get what you pay for in this hobby, as in life. And not everyone is into these things but that is your right. The hobby is beautiful from both worlds.
well put my friend

reefprobe

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1

I don't know who he is or seen any of his corals but more power to him and people like him.. If they can sell high priced corals , excuse me frags for high prices then there doing something right.
I personally wouldn't spend over $100 for a 1 eye chalice frag like some people are selling, or $100 a polyp , to me it just seems like slap rare , or a super rare in front of the name or add a stupid cartoon character name ect and people will buy it.

Although in defense some corals are just expensive.. And grow slow and over head is crazy,, But for those people running frag business's out of there garage or from the tanks in the bedroom. There just crazy, and if you support them they can charge what ever they want. I look at some of the prices people ask for certain things and I LMFAO.
BTW I'm selling part of the brooklyn bridge if anyones interested..

LOL...
Your right man He will keep charging whatever he wants and laughing all the way to the Bank and GOOD FOR HIM!!!
He will keep doing it and making bank until guys like Big Sink start growing it out of his basement in bulk and selling/ trading it to everyone else until the price will drop the same way Aussie Corals did
But in the mean time good for u Jay and people r knocking his door down to get his stuff and he can dictate the prices as long as the demand is there

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
You get what you pay for in this hobby, as in life.

Not really, as just like in life garbage is packed in a way that makes it seem like it's worth a lot more than it really is. Marketing is a very powerful tool, especially if used correctly. As someone all ready posted, it's all about building a better mouse trap, as regardless if the item or product is good or not, it will sell.

fab1971

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I for one can attest to it not being garbage. maybe out of someones price range but that's how life goes. I know for sure, the people that have come over don't ask about my red and white mushrooms or red monti. But they definitely always ask or comment on my Jason Fox pieces. Hey, if you're happy with your grey and blue corals, by all means, enjoy them. But don't go around bashing other people's collections or pieces out of jealosy. That's a little pitiful.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I wasn't talking about JFox's corals in particular just things in general. I bet if you placed a name in front of your red and white mushrooms you would probably see the price run up quite a bite more, as would the demand. Then again, that what marketing will do. Kind a like when people say "LE" or "Rare", after all Acans at one point where listed as rare and now they're everywhere, and much more colorful than what first came on the market.

As for people wanting to see, or commenting on his corals, well that's because people have been conditioned too. Just like when Tyree had his name on all the corals everyone wanted to see what the fuss was about. Now were either of their corals better? Are they better? well, outside of the person growing them out, which seems to make them much hardy than corals taken from the wild, probably not, as you can get great corals from people that are just as hardy, and as colorful.

As for my "grey and blue corals" well, that could be the furthest from the truth, then again I been in the hobby long enough to know that I don't have to buy a coral with a name on it for it to be colorful and something great.

I'm also not sure why you would think I'm jealousy about other people corals, as that would be the furthest from the truth. But I guess what is really pitiful is some people do need to justified spending a lot of money to think what they've gotten is special. Then again this goes back to the whole marketing thing, something you see in almost every product that is out there, where it's good or bad or even if there is something better.

Last edited:

cryptics

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
130   0   0
His stuff is expensive because of the care he puts into it. His coral look amazing. At the swap I picked up his Crazy Lady paly's. It is easily the best looking healthiest pally I own. It has already popped two new baby heads. Cost me $60 but I have no problem with that for something so healthy and colorful.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Well you can find any of those frags from other people and not get ripped off. Anyone can take care of a frag and make it look its best by having good husbandry. but is that what we reefers have to look foward to getting ripped off because of jasons name on the frag. Come on price jusitification in this hobby is unbelievable. Just my opinion...

Paolissimo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
I seriously posted the question not because I wanted to bash jason fox or people that buy his corals, I really want to know why they are expensive. As Marrone said, it's probably all due to the brand name, Jason Fox, but as some people have stated according to them the corals are healthier and more colorful then the rest. But I have seen the same beautiful corals from other vendors, that charge quiet a penny too, but not the crazy prices that a jason fox piece goes for. Does anybody know who he is? Is he a biologist that has a secret blend that make his corals pop?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: