• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

fr3sco

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im doing my first water change today because of high nitrate and phos. i added the salt to the new water that i have in a bucket got the salinity to 1.025-1.026 and added a bit of stress coat to breakdown the chlorine. now my question is do i turn off my skimmer to do the water change i just installed the skimmer yesterday. i also have a pump pumping oxygen in the bucket of new water i will add i was told its good for the water ? is that right and if so what other steps should i take before doing the water change..............

jcdeng

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
you can make your own RODI water with a RO/DI unit. But for now you can go to a CVS/Rite Aid/Walgreens to buy purified water, if you are not sure which on they sell is purified, ask the pharmacist which one to use to mix pediatric antibiotics with.

savage

Reef for life. .
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Look to see if your local fish store sale RO water dude...please don't use tap water or bottles store water...

jcdeng

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
proland spring is spring water (or they claim) so it has minerals in them. Purified water meaning Pure H2O, no other stuff. After you buy that you can just add reef salt, don't need anything else. Or you can go to LFS to get RO water to mix or buy premixed seawater if you don't want to mix it yourself.

Ariel110G

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0

Ariel110G

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
proland spring is spring water (or they claim) so it has minerals in them. Purified water meaning Pure H2O, no other stuff. After you buy that you can just add reef salt, don't need anything else. Or you can go to LFS to get RO water to mix or buy premixed seawater if you don't want to mix it yourself.

Bottled water is one big bluff, bottled water is RO water, I believe in filtered water, but I don?t believe in buying bottled water!!! there is a documentary called Tapped take a look.

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
Do not use stress coat in saltwater tanks. Your skimmer will spit out clearwater and expect an instant algae bloom.

LavaToad

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I noticed you said this is your first water change? I have a few questions if you don't mind. Do you have any fish in the tank yet? and are you planning on keeping just fish or also corals? Also how often will you be doing water changes?

Personally I think you can get away with using tap water for a fish only tank, and in my experience there are less sensitive corals which can thrive in tap water (although everyone says this is the exception). Here is a pic from my 24 gallon cube which has been using tap water for the past 6 years:

Attachments

• SAM_2692.JPG
    SAM_2692.JPG
    226.4 KB · Views: 63

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: