• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

44santababy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Neither the Ranco ETC or Johnson A419 probes are recommended for direct submersion in any liquid. The manufacturer recommends use of a thermal or bulb well. The copper well offered by the manufacturer is not suitable in all applications, especially aquariums where it may be harmful to fish, corals and other sea life.

straight from the site...lol

44santababy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
its not the money, everything i have is pretty much automated already except for my skimmer which i run 24/7 anyway. Just want something to prevent my 800watt from ever boiling my livestock. 500 for an apex is worth it but not in my situation and setup

Rating - 100%
97   0   0
Ranco controllers are the safest if you're thinking about using a device that isn't proven.

Ranco makes devices for Commercial and Industrial Refrigeration. The same controller that we use for our heaters and chillers are used to protect/cool Millions of $$$ in produce, meat, fish and a lot more. So the $100 +/- single stage Ranco Model # ETC-111000-000 is cheap compared to the $100,000 that a restaurant may have in their walk-in cooler.

You can even OPT for the more expensive model which is WATER-SAFE to be on the safe side as we all spill water once in a while.

Ranco, by far is the best choice. Every other option is ONLY a "hobbiest" toy compared to it.

I know it sounds pricey, but being that it is proven and responsible for keeping things at temperature that can go far beyond the price that some of us may have in our tanks, it's the safest way to go. And even the single stage unit can be programmed in the summer to operate a chiller or even just control a fan to blow over your tank/sump just for a little added safety.

Best of luck on your search!

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
97   0   0
Neither the Ranco ETC or Johnson A419 probes are recommended for direct submersion in any liquid. The manufacturer recommends use of a thermal or bulb well. The copper well offered by the manufacturer is not suitable in all applications, especially aquariums where it may be harmful to fish, corals and other sea life.

straight from the site...lol

You can get Stainless Wells at any "quality" plumbing or Control supplyhouse OR just wrap the bulb in plastic and seal it with aquarium silicone.

44santababy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
i ended up ordering two rancos, one with PVC covering of the probe for the tank heater and a 14 gauge for my window a/c if the tank room reaches above 77 degrees. Price was fair for the two and they build them for you from ETC supply.

44santababy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
i wrote an email explaining one was going to be used for an aquarium and they replied back about the PVC and said this is their solution for submerged probes. The site was aware about aquarium requirements so they understand its being used for hobbies also.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: