• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

jerl77

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
Pentachlorophenol treated wood should not be used in residential, industrial or commercial building interiors, except in laminated beams or building components that contact the ground and are subject to decay or insect infestation. When used for such purposes, pentachlorophenol treated wood must be covered with two coats of an appropriate sealer such as urethane, shellac, latex epoxy enamel or varnish.

EPA has not advised against the interior use of arsenical treated wood because the arsenic air levels measured in homes constructed with this type of treated wood are not significantly different from background arsenic air levels when dust has been vacuumed from the wood surface. Therefore, wood that is pressure-treated with water-borned arsenical preservations may be used inside residences wtihout a sealer, providing that all machined sawdust is vacuumed from the wood surface.

There is a reason you don't/won't see stands manufactured using pressure treated lumber. It needs to stay somewhat moist to prevent warping, checking and twisting. It may or may not happen to you. Personally I would NEVER use it to manufacture a tank stand. 120 gallons is A LOT of water in a room ;)

And why do you know this stuff ?

Help me catch a rat
Anybody got some cheese ?
T5 for life

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
I hate to say that, but I think you need to redo the stand. As previous members stated, treated wood should not be used inside and those 2x6 on top may twist and crack your tank. Trust me, I've seen 2x6 that twisted even when we screw them together with a bunch of 3" screws. Besides that, your frame doesn't really serve a purpose of supporting that kind of weight. You should always use the 1.5" side of your 2x4s or 2x6s for support. Check other builds on this site or take a look at mine (a little overkill, I know, but I wanted to sleep well at night) to see how a stand frame should be built. Good luck! Here's the link: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/diy/86299-75g-fish-tank-stand-my-first.html#post832683

rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
please take every ones advice, and rebuild that stand, and use cross braces so it doesn't rack on you as well. here is a stand I build for a 120 gallon tank just to give you an idea.
120gallonstand.jpg

NewfiDog

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another concern could be if you touch the treated lumber then stick your hand in the sump you could introduce something harmful into the tank.

Like strgazr27 said it likes to twist, mostly right by those knots in the lumber.

Hey strgazr i know in NY your not supposed to use any treated in interior, but guess what here in NJ its done everyday and is code for certain things. 3/4 of the basements i work on are wood framed not metal all the bottom plates treated, anything touching masonary treated, any furring on the foundation is treated. I agree with NY that stuff should not be allowed inside.

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
you guys are confusing the hell out of me:

from what i have read online, unless your eating it, off of it, or touching it then eating or working in tank it isnt harmful

and for the record i have absolutely ZERO construction skills and or knowledge, that was a quick google search. the only thing i know about construction is that i pay someone to do it for me

xxnonamexx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stuck with the PT 4x4's I am not eating off of the wood. The only thing they stated is when you cut it which is over with, I have 2x4s in the wall. I have thompson water sealed the entire thing as extra precaution. I spoke with a few construction guys that stated I will be fine. I also have a shelf on the bottom for the sump to square it all off I can't see my tank in any kind of danger I appreciate all of the advice and I will post finalized photos once completed. Thanks again for all of your assistance.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: