thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
+1 , IMO...NEVER restrict the flow OUT of the tank, unless you have a 2nd (or 3rd) 'emergercy' drain... if necessary put a ball valve on your return pump

I would not put valve in return I like to split the return and have one go back into sump so that the main pump is not stressed. I am not really understanding your initial problem though. Your flow I that high that it is making noise? Or disturbing the sump??

Sent from my Piece of crap Sprint Epic

midtownman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
also if u restrict any of the valves make sure you check periodically check the water level cause u might think its stable then when u wake up(cause flooding always happends when u dont be there)ur tank or sump is overflowing. when u think its stable put a line on the tank then go back to check where the level is then

NewfiDog

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Putting a valve on the drain or return will be up to you as you see everyone likes something different. As for a valve on the return stressing the pump if you can read the specs from the pump,all pumps ive ever seen tell you you can controll the flow with a vale no worries there just follow one rule do not put the valve on the suction side, it must be on the outlet side.

I have valves on both the returns and drains, but i have 2 drains i can shut one totally off and theres no over flowing of the tank comes in usefull for sock changes.

wonderballz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
If you stick some airline tubing into the drain, it will suck air in addition to water. Without the tubing, the drain is on full siphon. Adding the tubing will pull air AND drain water, thus pulling less water. To adjust the rate of siphon, you can clamp the tubing down so that les air gets in.

This is how I do my drain, and it works great

jerl77

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
I been running 6 years with ball valves never a problem you don't have to turn it alot never backed up it or anything like that some fish have made it into my sump down the tubes so I would say your safe with them

Sent from my DROIDX using Reefs

jerl77

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
really spilt the pipe into two and add ball valves and if god wants a snail to go down one the other will still flow no problem or look we can cover the over flows so nothing get down there wow what an idea :Yikes:
All you need is one to get stuck and then you might be screwed...

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Putting a valve on the drain or return will be up to you as you see everyone likes something different.

I have valves on both the returns and drains, but i have 2 drains i can shut one totally off and theres no over flowing of the tank comes in usefull for sock changes.
I have 6 drains on my 450g four 1 1/2" drains and two 2" emergency drains. They should handle about 35000gph*...There is almost no way that I'll ever have to worry about the tank overflowing...
However, if you have only 1 drain, I would suggest that you do NOT put a valve on it...if you need to stop the flow, shut off the pump.

FWIW ...the MAXIMUM that you can restrict the drain, can't be any less than Maximum of the pump output...without a flood...

if 800gph is going into the tank, 800gph has to come out, so a valve is USELESS in regards to 'slowing' the flow.

* http://flexpvc.com/WaterFlowBasedOnPipeSize.shtml

NewfiDog

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW ...the MAXIMUM that you can restrict the drain, can't be any less than Maximum of the pump output...without a flood...

if 800gph is going into the tank, 800gph has to come out, so a valve is USELESS in regards to 'slowing' the flow.

True i was thinking he was reffering to noise, but when i read it now mabey it is something else and a valve on the return would fit his situation better. But we also have no valves on the return. So no valve on the drain, no valve on the return = no control at all. Even with shuting off the pump valves on the drain are usefull as you dont need to let the water flow into the sump. Lots of uses for different things. What ever suits someone best.

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Even with shuting off the pump valves on the drain are usefull as you dont need to let the water flow into the sump. Lots of uses for different things. What ever suits someone best.
If the pump is off, HOW is water flowing into the sump? It should take about 20 seconds for the overflows to drain out! What is the valve stopping?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: