• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Strange, I've noticed the Salinity on my tank dropping somehow lately.

I keep adding some salt water to the tank (hoping to increase salinity) without removing any water, yet my salinity continues to just drop on its own. I maintain 1.026 SG (53 on my pinpoint monitor). I recalibrated my monitor to make sure it is working correctly, and also double checked it using a hydrometer (to make sure it was not just the electronics of the monitor). My salinity is now at 1.025 (50 on the pinpoint) and i have only added salt water without removing any. My skimmer only removes about 50-100mL / day, and i've been adding about 2-4L/day of salt water. i even scraped the salt creep off my sump and added it back to my tank. i cant figure out where the salt is going...

the only difference i've made is raising my temp from 76-79 over the past couple of weeks, could that impact my salinity?

inline6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Any massive amount of salt creep in your system?
I've experienced salinity drops when I installed a pair of computer fans to dissipate heat from my fuge light. Got massive amount of salt creep on the sides of my fuge.

Anything similiar?

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
inline6 said:
Any massive amount of salt creep in your system?
I've experienced salinity drops when I installed a pair of computer fans to dissipate heat from my fuge light. Got massive amount of salt creep on the sides of my fuge.

Anything similiar?

i did ramp up my fans as well, but as i mentioned, i brushed the salt creep back into the tank.

thanks for the links Mr Google, time to read...

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
House of Laughter said:
Albert,

I believe 51.3 is the SG for .025 on the pinpoint salinity monitor. I could be wrong.

Also, I would have someone bring over a refractometer to double check.

House
you are correct, it swings as low as 50 which is below 1.025, i just wanted to use a round number.

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
WingoAgency said:
You beat me to it. I am about to ask Deanos, our link guru, to get you another link. This article does not explain your situation. Haha.
EDIT: Deanos can never lose his touch... (watch, now he's gonna come up with some sort of pic showing his "touch") :lol:

Last edited:

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
herman said:
Skimming wet while topping off with RO water will also cause a salinity drop.
i topped off with more salt water than is skimmed (unless the skimmer removes more salt than water - does it?)
alrha said:
My skimmer only removes about 50-100mL / day, and i've been adding about 2-4L/day of salt water.

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
is your top off injecting to much water back in your tank? ,that can cause a prob ,even if its doing a bit at a time ,Check your top off level and make sure it working correcly ,nothing stuck on the floats ,.,.,.,,.,.,

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: