• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

inline6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Do you have a float switch in your sump?
Also did you just do a cleaning or maintence on your water pump?
The reasoning is that I've notice that a water pump cleaning/maintence increases the efficiency of your throughput considerably, causing less water to be in the sump, causing the float switch to kick in when it's not really needed.
Just what I've experienced in the past.

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
interesting, hmmm. well everything seems to be reading correctly, and now it is at 52 on the pinpoint (still gonna raise it a drop more). seems to have stabilized, so it may be a bit from the top-off and a bit from the salt creep.

i Deanos is on strike! uh oh, we're in trouble.

Chris5

Im BaAaAcK
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'd like to see how this works out as well since I am in the same boat, ever since I started my nano, my salt levels are normal one day and low the next ..
I had to buy a new hydrometer because the first one was so annoyingly wrong ...

Is it possible some salts just evaporate with the water?? In my old tanks when my tank water got low due to evap, my salt levels would be somewhat higher not lower ...

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
alrha...the only thing I could think of(im a rookie and a dumbass) is that you have a leak in ur tank(a slow one) and the top off is correcting this problem by adding more RO/DI water, thus constantly lowering your salinity....its a guess as I have no idea what would cause your salinity to constently lower.....best of luck

Last edited:

BrooklynsReefMan1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
As deanos said temperture has alot to do with it and ive seen that happen to my tank a few times and i adjusted the temp a little bit not alot and my salitnity was steady

tadashi123

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can try recalibrating your pinpoint in another room, and rechecking your salinity by scooping a cup of tank water and dipping the probe in that same different room.
sometimes you get errant readings from electro interference from lights/ballasts. also, check it with batteries and not on AC current.
HTH, Michael

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: