• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
With all that you have said, I would recommend you buy a Solana, and try things on a small scale.
You can buy just some of the stuff on your list, spend $200-$300 on a solana, and try out the hobby for a little bit before commiting to all listed above.

Although nano tanks are tough to keep stable, they are also alot easier to fix once there is a problem.
Buying a solana (34 gl) and running it for a year or so does not cost you much extra, but allows you to learn as you try, and keepa things very manageable.

I like your list above, but I only buy Vortech pumps, and I am a fan of AI LED's. Other than those two changes I like your list.

Frank@Wall

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
Hey santababy, start from the beginning. This is a lot of $ for this set up. I just realized the tank isn't even drilled reef ready? A guy who does this for a living should come.up with a better set up. he sounds like hebthinks he knows what he is doing. Like the workers in most LFS stores. I dont like what im reading.

Sent from my LG G2X using Reefs

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
This does not seem unreasonable to me for hiring a professional to put together and install a system. Could you put this together yourself for less piece by piece IF you wanted to and IF you knew what you were doing? Certainly. Clearly that is not the route Chris quite consciously has chosen.

I agree that a refractometer and an additional Koralia would be good additions or since the cost is less than budgeted for perhaps swapping the Koralia(s) for a Vortech or 2.

You could also easily get away with less than 120lbs. of rock if you are looking to make further savings.

I'd also make the investment in a good set of reference books. And, I 'd invest in an admission ticket to the swap to really get your reefing juices flowing and start making some friends in the hobby.

Last edited:

44santababy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Thanks for the comments. I'm jumping in headfirst with a 120gallon reef tank. I'm committed. ALSO, Tom is coming twice a month to help me with the tank. If i need him more so be it. The main reason for this thread is so i dont waste money on junk equipment or get RIPPED off. I do understand he needs to make money too. He seems fair to me so far. $135 a visit, brings socks, filters, saltwater, cleans etc.

richardhmc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
It seems like the guy that's helping you out knows some stuff... but wouldn't you rather want to learn from the beginning rather than "taking the reins"?

Do you know what each piece of equipment does? What those test kits you are getting are for and what the chemicals being tested are? Why LEDs? Why not a vortech pump? I noticed that you didn't mention a salt in your list. What kind of salt do you want to use? Why do you need additives? like calcium and alkalinity supplements? what kind of corals do you plan to keep? the questions go on and on and on and on and on

Everything on the list can be learned about... and in this hobby, knowledge is everything :) It will take a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time to learn. Good luck and welcome to Manhattan reefs :D

Last edited:
Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
Chris,
If you are committed to this project and to this size system( Rookie's suggestion is not unreasonable at all) I would advise you to trust the guy you have chosen (Tom is reputable and does know what he is doing). You are going to get a thousand different suggestions in this thread most of which are based on personal preference in equipment and you are just going to get overwhelmed and start doubting every decision and every recommendation. Money does not seem like it is a major consideration here so I think the comments regarding this or that could be done for less are not really very helpful.

Frank@Wall

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
Ok Chris, I understand that you want a banging tank but how do you know you will like this hobby? That is why the guys are saying to start with a smaller tank. Than if you like it and want a bigger tank lets say 6 months from now its no problem. You can sell the tank and equipment here on MR and members will buy it. Running a reef tank is a commitment and passion. it needs a lot of care. I believe members will agree 100% on this.

Sent from my LG G2X using Reefs

44santababy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Guys....in every hobby there is a mentor. I'm into r/c helicopters and planes ( u think tanks are expensive) try flying 3000$ birds around. If it wasnt for r/c forums and a guy i met at the local field...its IMPOSSIBLE to learn to fly by ones self. He taught me how to build, tune, and control these birds. It took me months and years to learn how to fly 3d and safely. This is the same issue....I WILL LEARN as im taught and from gaining EXPERIENCE....just like all of you.

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
99   0   0
Guys....in every hobby there is a mentor. I'm into r/c helicopters and planes ( u think tanks are expensive) try flying 3000$ birds around. If it wasnt for r/c forums and a guy i met at the local field...its IMPOSSIBLE to learn to fly by ones self. He taught me how to build, tune, and control these birds. It took me months and years to learn how to fly 3d and safely. This is the same issue....I WILL LEARN as im taught and from gaining EXPERIENCE....just like all of you.

You got that right !!! That's how I learned! Only thing I would really recommend is go with 2 mp 40 for power heads they r very costly but worth it !!!

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
If he has the money for a setup like this jump right in.dont listen to the cheaper ways of doing things .you have 6 to 8 weeks of your cycle to start reading up and learning as much as you can.there will be people thattell you to use this or that so watch who yu ask.there are experts here on lights,skimmers and livestock so just be careful who you get your advise from.as for the acan i have the a103 and love them..good luck

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
I want to add one more thing.

I dont care who is doing the service/maintence on the tank.....no one will ever do as good a job as you will (in the future when you know what you are doing)....no one will care the way you do about the tank.

You are not reqlly goin to learn anything from watching Tom (or anyone for that matter) doing monthly/daily maintenence on your tank. You learn from reading and researching everything...its gonna take a while.

Silverni2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hey Santababy I started my Reeftank the same way as you with the help of a professional tank maintenance guy. After a year and a half of twice a month service I'm finally on my own. I purchased my 90 gallon setup off of craigs list used but I was getting quotes for a new setup in the same ballpark as you. This hobby is great the people on mr are very knowlegable and can help you tremendously but there is a definite learning curve and by that I mean you will make a ton of mistakes and pay for them the key is do limit the mistakes and amount of money you throw in the trash!! You seem like a handy type of guy with the rc stuff so that will help save you a few bucks!! This guy you hired seems reasonable with his prices don't forget this is how he makes a living. In the future the market for used stuff on this website is an excellent source you will save alot of money on livestock and used equipment. Best advice is read and research your butt off. Patience patience and more patience!! Oh and just for the record I wish I started with a 120 tank and not a 90!
Good luck

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: