• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Clown loaches and cardinals are my favorite freshwater fish. I maintain a freshwater tank at one of the firehouses in the city. They used to have one oscar which eventually died from HIH disease.

Someone went and put two serpaes and three black skirt tetras in there. I gotta get them out. I put in a male krib and a small school of cardinals for now. I have been trying to think of what I can put in there to make it a nice looking tank.

A

Anonymous

try the white spot (aphyocharax) (sp) tetras-they are awesome in a group

garnet tets are also cool, and harlequins/brilliant rasboras ain't too shabby, either ;)

gpodio

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are all nice fish and they really shine out in large numbers. For my tastes there is no comparison to seeing 50-100 tetras schooling around a tank. I have about 60 cardinals in a 90g tank along with 40 rasboras and it's a great sight.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon in my bedroom that I had a large school of cardinals in. For some reason they all either jumped out of the tank or got sick and died...the same day. It was incredible. I have no idea what in the world happened.

It's got a few straggling guppies and two male kribs (one was supposed to be a female). It's also severely overgrown with java moss which my wife keeps nagging me about to clean out. I don't want to throw it out, I don't know what to do with it.

It's not a plant often seen offered around these parts either.

gpodio

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many lfs will trade it for store credit or at least for a friendly smile :)

I often have to throw away plants, when I can I donate them or just give them to the local store, but often I'm too lazy to do either and just toss them.

As for the cardinals, they can be rather delicate to certain elements. Heavy metals in tap water can be one of the threats, I found this out the hard way when I tried using AmQuel rather than AquaSafe for a water change as my usual Aquasafe had run out. Wiped out most of a south American tank including dwarf cichlids and cardinals. A breeder once told me to try to keep TDS down as well with these guys, I don't pay much attention to TDS myself but my area is blessed with soft water and relatively low TDS so that's likely why I haven't had much problems in regards. But in the past I've killed my fair share of cardinals too... they are delicate little fish. Catching them can also cause injuries, often they will dive into the substrate to run from a net and will knock themselves out. Luckily my lfs know me well enough to allow me to net my own fish from their tanks.

Cheers

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gpodio":7bmndx40 said:
Many lfs will trade it for store credit or at least for a friendly smile :)

I often have to throw away plants, when I can I donate them or just give them to the local store, but often I'm too lazy to do either and just toss them.

As for the cardinals, they can be rather delicate to certain elements. Heavy metals in tap water can be one of the threats, I found this out the hard way when I tried using AmQuel rather than AquaSafe for a water change as my usual Aquasafe had run out. Wiped out most of a south American tank including dwarf cichlids and cardinals. A breeder once told me to try to keep TDS down as well with these guys, I don't pay much attention to TDS myself but my area is blessed with soft water and relatively low TDS so that's likely why I haven't had much problems in regards. But in the past I've killed my fair share of cardinals too... they are delicate little fish. Catching them can also cause injuries, often they will dive into the substrate to run from a net and will knock themselves out. Luckily my lfs know me well enough to allow me to net my own fish from their tanks.

Cheers

amquel can lower O2 levels drastically-i've stopped using it, and switched to an alternative, after experiencing many issues w/it.

cardinals are highly susceptible to 'neon disease', and be wiped out by it very very quickly

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just looked up that white spot tetra. Coming up as blood fin. THey don't do it for me. Neither do any of the other mentioned.

In my tank I did the red eye tetras and I liked them but it seemed like as they got older they all got deformed.

What a tough decision picking out fish! This sucks.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: