• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

I know some of you dabble in fresh water tanks etc. It's been a while since I've had one. You know, UG filters etc. Can I run a sump instead of a UG or hang on and what about sand beds? Deep? Any good places to read about set ups etc?

Thanks!

Ace

A

Anonymous

Did you mean to post this in the FW forum?

Sure you can run sumps and sand beds. I wouldn't mess with UG filters though.

A

Anonymous

You can run a wet/dry with really good results. Everytime you do a water change, make sure you ONLY vacuum the sand, and you'll have a great tank. When I had my tank, every water change had tons of fish poop, so it kept the water crystal clear. Also had a synodontis catfish which went well with the alkaline tank.

I had a 55g with AC's, all different types, electric blues, bumblebees, yellow labs, and a bunch of others. I buffed with AC buffer, and did weekly water changes... the tank was awesome...had tons of babies.

I always kept the lights out unless I wanted to view it. I had absolutely no algae too. Worked great.

There you have it. ;)

...I then got bored, wanted to do salt, and the rest is history.

A

Anonymous

Flabello Meandroid":13rn0ox3 said:
Did you mean to post this in the FW forum?

Sure you can run sumps and sand beds. I wouldn't mess with UG filters though.

:oops:

I would have but I didn't realize there was one here.

Cool. I don't want to us a UG. Bad memories.

I broke down my reef and was going to sell the tank but I got the itch to have Africans again.

A

Anonymous

wings":5jybgbk2 said:
You can run a wet/dry with really good results. Everytime you do a water change, make sure you ONLY vacuum the sand, and you'll have a great tank. When I had my tank, every water change had tons of fish poop, so it kept the water crystal clear. Also had a synodontis catfish which went well with the alkaline tank.

I had a 55g with AC's, all different types, electric blues, bumblebees, yellow labs, and a bunch of others. I buffed with AC buffer, and did weekly water changes... the tank was awesome...had tons of babies.

I always kept the lights out unless I wanted to view it. I had absolutely no algae too. Worked great.

There you have it. ;)

...I then got bored, wanted to do salt, and the rest is history.

Thanks Wings!

A

Anonymous

What is cool about the African tanks is when you get bored with them you can just remove the fish and add salt and have a fowlr. :D

A

Anonymous

How big is your tank? Most commonly sold AC's get pretty big and nasty, so make sure you knwo what you are buying and how big it gets, or you'll end up with one ugly fish that no one esle will take.

A

Anonymous

Rover":7jo6q8av said:
How big is your tank? Most commonly sold AC's get pretty big and nasty, so make sure you knwo what you are buying and how big it gets, or you'll end up with one ugly fish that no one esle will take.

45 breeder. I've had Tanganyika cichlids before and that's what I think I'm gonna do now.

A

Anonymous

Andy_":38sdgm8t said:
What is cool about the African tanks is when you get bored with them you can just remove the fish and add salt and have a fowlr. :D

I'm out of the salt tanks for a bit. We do a have a 5 gallon Nani running now with the sand and a few rocks from my tank. That should hold me over. :)

A

Anonymous

SpaceAce":2u4442r8 said:
Andy_":2u4442r8 said:

I'm out of the salt tanks for a bit. We do a have a 5 gallon Nani running now with the sand and a few rocks from my tank. That should hold me over. :)

What what WHAT?

I never even got to see pics of your latest tank with stuff in it?

What is up with that man?

8O

A

Anonymous

knucklehead":2z1ssbs6 said:
SpaceAce":2z1ssbs6 said:
Andy_":2z1ssbs6 said:

What what WHAT?

I never even got to see pics of your latest tank with stuff in it?

What is up with that man?

8O

Hey Bry,

Yeah, I decided to break down the equipment because of what's going on and the electricity bills etc. Mostly because I couldn't spend the time with the tank. So I sold all the LR and kept the polyps which Tanya put back in the 5 gallon nano. I'm trying to sell the 660 ballast with caps bulbs etc and the tank as well. Then I started thinking how much I miss freshwater and really like Africans. I've had them before and they were a l of of fun to take care of and I got the itch to start the tank again. Go figure.

Here she is right before tear down:

40_sale_2.jpg

A

Anonymous

knucklehead":3jzngv1z said:
That's a shame, it was really coming along...

Yeah, it was. everything was starting to look very nice. Oh well, a 45 salt is not my style anyway. I need something bigger. :)

A

Anonymous

UG's are worthless with any digging fish ;) bio wheels, wetdry's, and canisters will serve you very well :)

A

Anonymous

Ace, with the 40 b's floor space a cool option might be the shell dwelling africans of lake Tanganyika . JAT

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: