• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

T

THEDLO

kk i have been wondering about these for a while.....how are dead spots avoided with these? cause the cant be aimed and in a tank like mine ( 120g rr dual overflows ) there are going to be dead spots..as of now i have 4 hydor power heads 2x4s, 1, and a 3 and these guys help with the water movement

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
There is a back current that happens with these pumps which is what eliminates those dead spots. So your playing more with pull flow instead of push flow. No other pump on the market can do the same thing to the same degree.

You will want a vortec on each side on a 120 for optimum control in flow patterns but 1 should be able to provide SPS flow in your tank at max settings. The only bad thing is that the current patterns don't change much with the vortecs. You get a better random flow in your tank with different pumps at different angles untill you put two vortecs in your tank.

T

THEDLO

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
yea thats what i notice with the way things are set up now, but the karalias are so damn intrusive

T

THEDLO

Rating - 100%
310   0   0
but how does it move the water through the rocks? like against the back wall check my video so u know what im working with

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
That's why it's best not to stack rocks against the wall. You create dead spots and places for crud to settle that no pump can reach.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

djxtc21

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I am in the same boat on a 125 gallon, about the same about of hydor pumps in there

I really want to go vortech, but I have to add 1 now and if I need a 2nd then a few months down the road

Being that I already have my hydors could I get away with an mp10 or would it be extremely beneficial to get a mp40

If someone could explain, Ive had this dilemma for sometime

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I would never recommend the mp10 for a 125g.

Great little pump bot not intended for a tank your size.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
=0)

8b9cd327.png

T

THEDLO

Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Wes my rocks aren't up against the back, I scaped in such a way that only 3 rocks are actually againt the back, I didn't pile my rock either so there is plenty of space for current, but I want to know how the water in the space between the overflows be moved around.

T

THEDLO

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Nope I wanted a good view of the back of the tank so there's is plenty of space

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Wes my rocks aren't up against the back, I scaped in such a way that only 3 rocks are actually againt the back, I didn't pile my rock either so there is plenty of space for current, but I want to know how the water in the space between the overflows be moved around.

There will always be junk build up between the two overflows over time. The flow will be there but minimal. It shouldn't be enough to cause a problem though. I would be more worried about the build up at the bases of your rock inside your rockwork.

T

THEDLO

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
My sand is always white, my goby does work lol crap only get collected on the rocks

T

THEDLO

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
yea i scrub them down every week with a tooth bush :) i just wanted to know weather it be worth getting them

D1J8Z

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
I love my vortech but if aiming is your main concern then maybe tunze is for you.

I would recommend starting with one vortech and if you feel you need flow "aimed" in a direction buy a nice tunze or the new hydor evolutions are pretty cool too.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: