• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

jjlazo

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a 40G Breeder fish only tank, but planing to make into a reef tank, Which filter should I use, I seen some wet/dry filter on line, Proclear 75 & Proclear 125, can anyone tell me if the bigger the filter, the better results? which filter shoul I use? and what else, right now I have a Aquaclear 70 with Bio-ball,

Rating - 100%
298   0   0
I have a 40G Breeder fish only tank, but planing to make into a reef tank, Which filter should I use, I seen some wet/dry filter on line, Proclear 75 & Proclear 125, can anyone tell me if the bigger the filter, the better results? which filter shoul I use? and what else, right now I have a Aquaclear 70 with Bio-ball,

You can keep your aquaclear 70 and slowly remove the bio-balls, and use the filter for mechanical/ chemical filter. Bio-balls creates excessive nitrate. You would want to rely on live rock and sand for biological filtration assuming you have that in your tank already. Throw on a hob skimmer and you are good to go. Adding a sump is optional, but its beneficial since you can have extra water volume, a place to hide most of your equiptments, have a chamber for a refugium to grow macro algae, space for more liverock and sand, surface skims via overflow box and keeping waterline constant on your display tank. Gl.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: