sun1914

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
So stopped by the other LPS in Yonkers, no where as good as Max Reef but I do poke my head in from time to time just to see what's going on. Well, they had a huge shipment of Tonga Branchs in and a load of Purple colored flate rock as well. Prices where a bit extreme but I do know that they are struggling business wise so I'm sure you/we can prob haggle a better number.

Some nice corals but again nothing like Max. Just thought I would share since I've read a few post of folks looks for this type of rock.

Sent from my HTCONE using Reefs

sun1914

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Took my sick Engineer there today and they are really stepping it up in there.
Wish Dave (the new owner and the rest of the staff the best of luck.)
If some of you local guys have the time...stop by and check em out. There not @ Max Reef level yet but we all gonna start some where right?...

carlpica

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that bad a place and prices are fair, they will hook you up from time to time also. They had some nice stuff when I was in there a year ago. Had a beautiful tricolor valida (at least thats what they had it labeled as) colony that they almost lost completely, and even a few ORA frags. Last time I was there a month ago it was starting to come back. I like the owner a lot and the young skinny kid is good too (Carlos?). If you talk to them they will tell you when shipments are coming in and what to expect. I'm sure if you are looking for something in particular they would try and get it for you too. Good people. Competition is good! support your local businesses. BTW I love Max Reef too.

carlpica

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went there yesterday. Lots of good stuff. All different kinds of monti's (spongodes, digitata, pokerstar, chilipepper, superman) acros, birdsnests, softies and zoas. Good variety of stuff, looks like its all aquacultured, mostly small frags going for around $40 or less.

sun1914

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
I also was there today and saw all the frags they had....pretty nice selection but prices are just too high imo. Not to mention one of the workers attempted to charge me $50 for a small rbta and when it clearly was written on the tank that they were $35. After I brought it to his attention he pretended as if he didn't know but I know he did without a doubt. He was just trying to make a more $$ off of me and I must say it left a bad taste in me mouth.
The owner Dave however did right by me and not only gave it to me for the RIGHT price as it was advertised on the tank ($35) but he knocked off a few more bucks.
It was enough to keep the sale alive and keep me from walking out but its things like this that make you not ever want to buy from them again.

Last edited:

carlpica

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also was there today and saw all the frags they had....pretty nice selection but prices are just too high imo. Not to mention one of the workers attempted to charge me $50 for a small rbta and when it clearly was written on the tank that they were $35. After I brought it to his attention he pretended as if he didn't know but I know he did without a doubt. He was just trying to make a more $$ off of me and I must say it left a bad taste in me mouth.
The owner Dave however did right by me and not only gave it to me for the RIGHT price as it was advertised on the tank ($35) but he knocked off a few more bucks.
It was enough to keep the sale alive and keep me from walking out but its things like this that make you not ever want to buy from them again.
Was it a tall bald guy? He was annoying me a little bit while I was there. He trying to tell me that a blue sympodium was clove polyps, and I almost started arguing with him. He seems to think he knows a lot more than he does. Anyway I think we may be spoiled by max reef. Their prices are just so low it is hard to go anywhere else. Although this place had a lot of designer types and aquacultured stuff that you don't see too often at max reef. IMO their prices are about average with anywhere but Max Reef. Have you ever been to House of Fins in Greenwich?

sun1914

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Was it a tall bald guy? He was annoying me a little bit while I was there. He trying to tell me that a blue sympodium was clove polyps, and I almost started arguing with him. He seems to think he knows a lot more than he does. Anyway I think we may be spoiled by max reef. Their prices are just so low it is hard to go anywhere else. Although this place had a lot of designer types and aquacultured stuff that you don't see too often at max reef. IMO their prices are about average with anywhere but Max Reef. Have you ever been to House of Fins in Greenwich?

Yeah, that was him. And I agree Max Reef def has me spoiled...LOL.
No never been to Fins but have to go to Greenwich next weekend so I'll be sure to stop by.

carlpica

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure someone knows CPR when you check prices out there...
HAHA yeah thats what I was getting at. Their livestock is almost always top notch, and they have some really rare fish, but the prices are about 3-4 times max reef for the same corals, and twice that of this place. The people that work there really know their stuff though. I go there just to look at their tanks and ask their advice. I bought a few things there, but only small stuff. Last time I was there they had a sunset hogfish for $3500 I think. They told me it was a deepwater species, very difficult to collect. They had some Dr. Suess soapfish another time and some bandit angels for like $7500 IIRC. Pretty nuts.

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yeah, that was him. And I agree Max Reef def has me spoiled...LOL.
No never been to Fins but have to go to Greenwich next weekend so I'll be sure to stop by.

Beautiful store always stock with beautiful fish. I will say I never went they and was disappointed looking at they tanks. Healthily fish and very clean. Small store but loaded with equipment, supplies ect. Only bad side is price. If they were more competitor on price. If you can afford it that's great. But if your on budget this place not for you. It also makes you feel good because you probably didn't buy fish. And next time you visit MR your spend and realized what a great deal you saved.

Last edited:

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I went to Aquariums & Critters Petshop (Yonkers) today. I was talking to Carlos. Store is looking a lot better and they are in the works of adding 6 125 gallon saltwater tanks and a huge frag tank. So if they go with lots of frags that could help them out. Because nobody has a good selection of frags. I wish them luck and people can now stop by two stores since they are close to one another. MR is the other place. Carlos a good guy and I know him for years. He loves what he does. I haven't talk to new owner. They got a lot of catching up but right now they are making changes for the better.

carlpica

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there prices are 2 extreme lol owners are good ppl but to expensive

Not too expensive in my opinion. They always take 10-20% off if you buy more than one thing. Got these both for $55 total. I use online prices as my gauge. look up a rainbow millie or orange digitata and you will have a hard time finding a frag of these for less than $25, and you would have to pay shipping and tax on top of that. Not trying to be a shill for them but I honestly don't think the prices are anywhere near extreme for what they have. Which is a lot of aquacultured corals, not wild colonies, or maricultured, but corals that are proven to be hardy in the aquarium. Just an opinion.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: