• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Vic8361

Rating - 100%
142   0   0
Ink blue what kind of bulbs are they?
I am really looking for some bulbs that won't cost me too much I'll even take bulbs over a year old.

I have a 65 flat back hex in my bedroom that has softies and some lps corals in it. I call it my getto tank. Very little maintance it has no skimmer and it hasn't had a water change in about three years. The funny thing is that every thing is doing well. Go figure. I run only four 40 watt bulbs on the tank two actinic and two phillips daylight delux bulbs that I buy from home depot I change the daylight bulbs about every 6 to 9 months but the actinc bulbs are over three years old I just feel it's time to change them. Just wondering if anyone had any laying around that I could get for a good price.

Thanks Sam for the offer but i only need the actinic bulbs.

You to Peter we got to get together some time and I haven't forgoton about that frag I told you about.

Vic

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 98.6%
145   2   0
Vic8361 said:
Ink blue what kind of bulbs are they?
I am really looking for some bulbs that won't cost me too much I'll even take bulbs over a year old.

I have a 65 flat back hex in my bedroom that has softies and some lps corals in it. I call it my getto tank. Very little maintance it has no skimmer and it hasn't had a water change in about three years. The funny thing is that every thing is doing well. Go figure. I run only four 40 watt bulbs on the tank two actinic and two phillips daylight delux bulbs that I buy from home depot I change the daylight bulbs about every 6 to 9 months but the actinc bulbs are over three years old I just feel it's time to change them. Just wondering if anyone had any laying around that I could get for a good price.

Thanks Sam for the offer but i only need the actinic bulbs.

You to Peter we got to get together some time and I haven't forgoton about that frag I told you about.

Vic
Vic ,it not weird ,when i worked in the LFS one guy we knew had a tank for i thnk 5 or 6 years ,no water change ,had and ell ,and other fish ,and lthey ived veryhaappy ,just interesting how we do water changes ,add high end stuff ,and the tank that have great success ar the one that you dont do a thing too ,

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
how healthy of a tank could that be though. i just dont understand, i do test almost everyday and do a 5 gallon water change once a week. that really pisses me off. hehe i should try not doing n e thing 2 the tank anymore take off the skimmer and the backup hob filter and just leave the powerheads. my luck everything will die. hehe

gforce6

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I think the key is matured water. You can not make 5-6 years old water with any kind of high end equipment, only the time will make that water. So, be patient.

Vic8361

Rating - 100%
142   0   0
I wouldn't recomended this to anyone. Actually this is the first time I mention it on MR. It's just something that happend to me when I upgraded to my 180. I had two tanks at the time the 65 and a 90gal. I combind the two tanks together but I had some extra live stock that I didn't want to put in the new tank so I threw it in the 65 and left it there. All I did to the tank was top it of with rodi water and thats it. I had about 1 inch of sand in it and hardly any rock. Everything I put in it was doing very well so I just left it there. After about a year a friend of mine offered me his fish because he was moving to florida so i put some of them in there and some in the 180. I was worried about the bio laod so I added some bio balls to the wet and dry,the tank has a built in wet and dry and skimmer in it. I just didn't run the air stones for the skimmer. Then Another friend of mine gave me his dead live rock that he had in a 72 gal bowfront and I put that in there as well. It's weird I don't even dose with calcium or buffers and I have coraline on the rocks and walls of the tank. Every thing in the tank was given to me or came from my other tank except for the copper band I bought this week end for it. I am starting to get a little cyano on the sand so it may be time to start taking care of it. I wish I had a digital camer so I could post some pics of it.

Vic

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: