• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
This is what i will be working with:
29 gal non drilled tank (30x12x18).
15 gal diy sump.
Eshopps pf-300 over flow.
Coralife 65g skimmer.
100 watt heater.
Rio 10hg as a return pump.
Marineland reef capable led light.
40lb of live sand.
Appx 30 lb of dry rock seeded with 5 lb live rock. Im a first timer. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Some pictures.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByReefs1353101417.626432.jpg
    ImageUploadedByReefs1353101417.626432.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 346
  • ImageUploadedByReefs1353101448.105627.jpg
    ImageUploadedByReefs1353101448.105627.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 348
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Looks great so far. I'm not a huge fan of the marine land LEDs, I started with them and was only able to keep shrooms and zoas alive but hardly thriving.

If they don't work out for you, I'd recommend a good T5 unit, or if you're ok with higher wattage, halides would be your best option, you can get a relatively cheap 175w unit from aquatraders.com to start with.

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Originally i bought the marineland lights because i thought i wasn't going the reef route, but the more i get into this addictive hobby i notice that im headed towards keeping a reef or mixed reef. Worst case ill use them for a year to keep my first few easy corals and then when the tank is well established ill upgrade to stronger sps capable lights. The rocks accidentally ended up like that while i was trying to make two separate islands, at one point i stepped back and a piece slipped and formed a bridge and i thought it looked great like that. Thank you guys for the feed back! Ive learned a ton from reading on this forum.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Nice tank.. I like the rock scape you got going.. I always loved my old rock scape when I had the bridge. I am actually waiting on a special order man made bridge for the trip after "Sandy".;)
As to lights; you do not have to go with MH or T5.. I had been running 120 watt LEDs X 4 on my 155 Bow Front mixed reef for the past 3 or so months, and all my corals were doing fine. I never used T5, but did run MH w/PCs, to much heat, and power consumption.:(

frankieboy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank rock work is great, lol I was planning the same but the more I see corals on other members tanks how there setup is makes me want to do a mixed reef. My planning is slow on tank size, type off system sump, refugium. Love the fish hobby it relaxes me. And if you don't mind I ask tank dimension and gallons thanks Frankie

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Nice tank rock work is great, lol I was planning the same but the more I see corals on other members tanks how there setup is makes me want to do a mixed reef. My planning is slow on tank size, type off system sump, refugium. Love the fish hobby it relaxes me. And if you don't mind I ask tank dimension and gallons thanks Frankie

It's in the OP, 29 gal 30x12x18

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: