• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I just got home from a conference I was at all week and I was examining my tank for gains and losses. I noticed that I had some tissue recession on my digitata. When the lights went out, I realized why.

The largest microbrittle star I've ever seen was hanging on it. Here is a picture of it with the light off, and one after a flipped the lights on.

2409059130_eb0f0b379e.jpg

2409059236_f2291275f4.jpg

Once I saw this one, I started looking around (especially after I flipped on the lights) and I saw tons of them scurring into little holes - only they aren't so micro anymore.

Is this a common problem among SPS keepers? Or am I just blessed with a mutant strain of "micro" brittle stars? (To be clear, I know that the micro brittles aren't EATING the SPS; they are irritating the SPS with their legs.)

Also, how do you recommend I reduce my micro brittle population? Will harlequin shrimp eat them?

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
When I walked passed my tank, it totally freaked me out at first! I was trying to figure out what kind of crazy hitchhiker I managed to acquire.

They are literally everywhere. I just looked at my tank and there isn't a single coral PERIOD that doesn't have at minimum one micro brittle star on it. Most of them have MULTIPLE micro brittles on them. :sad2:

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
READING IS FUNDAMENTAL.

I KNOW they are reef safe. As I said, they aren't EATING any of my corals. I just have so many that the actual waving of their legs is causing tissue recession on at least one of my SPS corals. I want to reduce their numbers. Does anyone have any suggestions?

C

Chiefmcfuz

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Not that I know of Lissa. I just looked through a few books and the only thing I can find is Harleys.

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Lissa, the last thing you need is more fish :) See if you can borrow Kathy's harley. I think she wanted to get rid of him once her asterina are under control.

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
I don't have a problem with mines crawling over my sps.. They've gotten quite large like yours.... I just pick them off every once and a while I throw them in the octopus tank.. They love all detritus in there, my octopussy eats daily in a 20 gallon... And if anyone needs some stars I can bring 100 to the swap from that tank alone...

DevIouS

- Untitled -
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
Harly's will not eat brittles.

My Radiants eat them. Only if they are in open site though. Not when they're in the crevices waving thier arms.

Curious:
Is your Pylei agressive towards othe wrasse species besides Fairy's?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: