• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
I am dedicating this first post to highlight some of the solutions to a previous thread with all the "wrong" things about the swap. As I noted, I like to be part of the solution as that will ALWAYS get it done. Solutions should be within reach - the javit's center is not a solution that is in reach.

New (Larger) venue - seek other public facilities out (YMCA, Firehouses etc)
Increased price - to better manage attendees
VIP Tickets - (what would be the criteria?)
Wave Theory - bring in 2 waves of people - 10-2, 2-6 (first come first served, higher price for full day vs 1/2)
Price Structure - one with food, one without. Food bands required and someone at table to check them).
NY Aquarium - wing or space for rentals (secured).
Reduce the price and not supply food - perhaps see if the Pratt cafe can open at 2pm instead of 5 (revenue opportunity for them there).
More Swaps (NDY from other thread)

House

Last edited:

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
I am dedicating this first post to highlight some of the solutions to a previous thread with all the "wrong" things about the swap. As I noted, I like to be part of the solution as that will ALWAYS get it done.

New venue - seek other public facilities out (YMCA, Firehouses etc)
Increased price - to better manage attendees

House

\VIP Tickets - (what would be the criteria? total positive feedbacks? something to consider.)

Salty Dog

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90.9%
20   2   0
I want to retract my earlier comments, I was not articulate in expressing my exact thoughts. I first want to thank all involved in bringing this all together. The time and effort was incredible with the fishie theme and all the extra's. My wife and I so looked forward to attending. We talked for weeks about seeing fellow reefers, catching up with the vendors and just exchanging stories as in the past. I was frustrated that there was little room to move. My suggestions for future swaps would be to arrange for a larger venue, limit the tickets or host 2 shifts the day of the swap. One from 10-1 another from 1-4 dividing the raffle in two and assuring that both time frames have a diverse selection to choose from. This way it's if you are not a part of the morning your sure to have a nice selection in the afternoon. I would also have nibbles and a cold drink thus alleviating the lunch process which always seems to be a bit chaotic and we can bring the costs down and put it into the rental. Even though crowded my wife seemed to get her pointer threw 3 layers deep of people and land some incredible pieces. Kudos to all those that volunteered, offered their product, the vendors for their diligence with the crowds and all my fellow reefers that supported the event. We look forward to next year and just want a to improve and already incredible process

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
I want to retract my earlier comments, I was not articulate in expressing my exact thoughts. I first want to thank all involved in bringing this all together. The time and effort was incredible with the fishie theme and all the extra's. My wife and I so looked forward to attending. We talked for weeks about seeing fellow reefers, catching up with the vendors and just exchanging stories as in the past. I was frustrated that there was little room to move. My suggestions for future swaps would be to arrange for a larger venue, limit the tickets or host 2 shifts the day of the swap. One from 10-1 another from 1-4 dividing the raffle in two and assuring that both time frames have a diverse selection to choose from. This way it's if you are not a part of the morning your sure to have a nice selection in the afternoon. I would also have nibbles and a cold drink thus alleviating the lunch process which always seems to be a bit chaotic and we can bring the costs down and put it into the rental. Even though crowded my wife seemed to get her pointer threw 3 layers deep of people and land some incredible pieces. Kudos to all those that volunteered, offered their product, the vendors for their diligence with the crowds and all my fellow reefers that supported the event. We look forward to next year and just want a to improve and already incredible process

Salty, you're entitled to be of an opinion - no need to apologize - but more importantly, thanks for channeling it into something positive - thoughts in action babay!

I'll ad your recs to the list.

House

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
The swap opinion thread is already providing solutions and several pages long. I know you mean well with this thread but the opinion thread is basically the same as this thread. Im just gonna stick with that thread

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Perhaps sell tickets for different time frames. Say a 10am-2pm ticket and a 2pm-6pm ticket (and a full day ticket at a higher price). Might help better limit the amount of people all at once while still allowing for most everyone to come at some point.

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Perhaps sell tickets for different time frames. Say a 10am-2pm ticket and a 2pm-6pm ticket (and a full day ticket at a higher price). Might help better limit the amount of people all at once while still allowing for most everyone to come at some point.

Added to the list Albert - great to see you by the way.

House

nikkibabee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
The swap opinion thread is already providing solutions and several pages long. I know you mean well with this thread but the opinion thread is basically the same as this thread. Im just gonna stick with that thread

You seem to have a lot to say for someone who did not even attend.

Chongpark27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
120   0   0
Spacing out the vendors. If it's possible use the cafeteria part. Have some vendors setup in that room so when members go look at what's for sale they are not all on top of each other. I felt like since the vendors were so closely setup it made it congested. Besides that there was nothing else wrong. Great swap and kudos to those who made it possible.

qy7400

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
A few thoughts.

The cafeteria used for the speakers, how about move lunch in there freeing up the center of the room for vendor tables; this should also free space around each vendor, part of the crowding was each vendor being so close to the next.

Based on the other thread there were a good amount of people only looking for frags, how about a reduced ticked for AM swap and PM swap; colored wrist bans can ID who hasn't checked in or overstayed.

Closing the doors between the speakers and swap, was a little hard to hear the speakers over the background noise; maybe even a small PA system fro the speaker.

The room temps, seemed to be a hot topic last year as well, can the windows or exhaust fan be turned on; all the windows were closed but not sure they open or if Pratt wants them top be opened.

ZANYMASTER

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
411   0   0
Student Union is much too small even if they removed the Table in the middle.Like Jim said,something bigger like the Firehouse etc.Chelsea Piers has a lot of space.Just saying.I'll pay a little more for that.The Javitz Center is massive:splitspin

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
A few thoughts.

The cafeteria used for the speakers, how about move lunch in there freeing up the center of the room for vendor tables; this should also free space around each vendor, part of the crowding was each vendor being so close to the next.

Based on the other thread there were a good amount of people only looking for frags, how about a reduced ticked for AM swap and PM swap; colored wrist bans can ID who hasn't checked in or overstayed.

Closing the doors between the speakers and swap, was a little hard to hear the speakers over the background noise; maybe even a small PA system fro the speaker.

The room temps, seemed to be a hot topic last year as well, can the windows or exhaust fan be turned on; all the windows were closed but not sure they open or if Pratt wants them top be opened.

Chong this is for you as well.

We can't use the cafe - it is a functioning facility and one of the challenges when using public spaces like this. There are gives and takes and, unfortunately, this is not one of the places where they can give.

Also, the gymnasiums in these facilities wouldn't be a good option - the amount of water damage that could happen on the floor will stop these events before the event got to contract.

House

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
You seem to have a lot to say for someone who did not even attend.
Yes, you are right I did not attend. And I'm being totally open with my suggestions. When the site is loaded with more complaints than compliments it means there were many displeased members. I'm trying to help in any way I can with solutions. I think all of my points are good and valid even with out attending. I see what people write about and then think of a way to solve that problem. Granted you can't solve all of the problems, but I think several can be addressed and fixed before the fall swap. Nikki I do not attend the swap because I refuse to pay 100 dollars before I even step foot in the door. This goes hand in hand with a larger venue area, with more vendors and attendees. All of these would cut costs. I know there has to be a larger place out there for nearly the same price or for a slightly larger fee. And that can accomadate everything the swap needs. Pratt is not the only place that can fill all of these needs. Also get rid of the food, That drives costs up, or give 2 different ticket prices, one with food and one without. If you pay for food you get a wrist band or your hand stamped. I do not eat when I go to swaps, I would rather be talking to vendors, members and shopping.

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Student Union is much too small even if they removed the Table in the middle.Like Jim said,something bigger like the Firehouse etc.Chelsea Piers has a lot of space.Just saying.I'll pay a little more for that.The Javitz Center is massive:splitspin
I think the Javitz would cost an arm and a leg to rent out, even that small side room they have(still quite large, just small compared to the main building). It is worth looking into though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: