Clink51

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Anyone have suggestions on where to get certified? Also, any tips or pointers on diving in the North East? While i mainly want to dive in the Caribbean on vacation, i'd love to dive wrecks off of NY.

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I was certified many, many years ago at Scuba Network. They are among the cheapest and have good packages. You can do your open water test with them or you can do it at any PADI or NAUI certified instructor in a nice tropical country. ;-)

I took my classes, written test and pool stuff in NYC and did my open water in Cartagena, Colombia.

I took NAUI classes. NAUI does not expire, PADI does...

Alfred

SIReefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
Pan Aqua in Manhattan has been around a long time and has a good reputation. You could also do the classroom portion (now it might even be an online course) here and complete the open water portion while on vacation in the Caribbean.

Kworker

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
I second Scuba Network. I've done my dives at Beach 8th street in Far Rockaway, it wasn't a good dive because the visibility was less then one foot. However, many say it's a great dive when conditions are right. If you google it you will see videos. Dutch Springs is on my list of places to dive.

If you want to get into wreck diving I recommend going diving in open water quite a few times first to familiarize yourself with the equipment that much more. The coast of the Outer Banks is supposed to be great wreck diving.

aaron23

!THE ULTIMATE REEFER!
Rating - 98.3%
234   4   0
I got certified at pan Aqua and I definitely recommend them. Top notch instructors wonderful people. Great deals on equipment during open water class can test and return items that don't fit etc

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
The best diving I ever did was in Cartagena. The dive shop at the Hilton (I think) takes groups to a virgin reef about 45 minutes away from the nearest habited island. Was awesome.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
I second Scuba Network. I've done my dives at Beach 8th street in Far Rockaway, it wasn't a good dive because the visibility was less then one foot. However, many say it's a great dive when conditions are right. If you google it you will see videos. Dutch Springs is on my list of places to dive.

If you want to get into wreck diving I recommend going diving in open water quite a few times first to familiarize yourself with the equipment that much more. The coast of the Outer Banks is supposed to be great wreck diving.

I also did it at far rockaway. It was horrible for me too as all the sand was being stirred up from the boats cruising by and the waves splashing to the shore. I could barely see 1 ft.

Kworker

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
I also did it at far rockaway. It was horrible for me too as all the sand was being stirred up from the boats cruising by and the waves splashing to the shore. I could barely see 1 ft.

For some reason it was fun despite the extremely low visibility lol. I definitely want to give it another try and you should think about it too... I've seen videos of a lot of tropical strays swimming around that area with pretty good visibility. The only issue is having a thick enough wet suit or dry suit.

ivandrago

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Go to Cozumel Mexico #2 spot in the world for diving, plus get certified for $400. Maybe even cheaper you can always negotiate. Before you go find a dive instructor they will send you the book to study you can take the test here and do the diving test there and sVe yourself a lot of time. I have been there 3 times and it's the best.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
If anyone wants dive equipment, free let me know. All of it is old but I won't be using it any more as I don't dive in NY any more. My 2 tanks are probably to out of inspection to be useful, I am not sure if they have a lifespan. My regulators are good and I have a lot of other random stuff.

tttony

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 94.7%
18   1   0
I scuba dove for many years in Brooklyn on the dive boat Karen, with Captain Bob Hayes. So many great times I remember visibility approaching 20 to 30 feet some days other days around 5 feet, used to get lobsters ,Sea bass , ling cod and of course bags and bags of fresh mussles from the special wreck . It's definitely a good time if the visibility is up there I dove on another boat not as friendly captain , but I was able to find many glass bottles and inkwells that make a nice display. I got certified basic open water from a retired Marine, and I got my nitrox class from scuba New York in Yonkers.

I was fortunate to dive North Carolina coast which is absolutely incredible for seeing large sharks ,rays ,turtles and giant delicous spiny lobster and numerous numerous shipwrecks with a lot of history. Also Florida, Bahamas, California.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I got my PADI certification in the 70s. I think it just said Basic SCUBA Diver or Open Water SCUBA diver because that was the only certification there was then. It is good for everything except Nitrox. I have my own boat and equipment so I don't need it anyway unless I go someplace tropical which I do almost every year.

Alfredo I may be moving soon so I am trying to eliminate stuff, especially big stuff. If I go to the Islands I don't bring it with me and I rarely dive from my boat any more.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: