• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Eric,
How does zoox. utilize calcium, are they a transport system for the calcium?
I know that through photosynthesis coral calcification rates increase but how does this involve zoox?
Also could you read the chat ans see if you can answer some of our questions, we were all making it up as we went along.
By the way Andrew wants to know how the fashion shoot went?
Tehlia.

------------------
Tehlia

A

Anonymous

Eric,
One question/discussion we did have on the chat was to whether the zooxanthellae were intercellular or intracellular (extracellular).

A

Anonymous

ATJ,
From the lecture material:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
Once inside the coral cell, locked inside a
membranous balloon called a vacuole, zooxanthellae begin to reproduce until they reach a level that is
effective in providing the right amount of energy for the coral.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>.
So zooxanthellae are inside the vacuoles which are inside the cells of the gastrodermis (and sometimes epidermis). i.e. they are intracellular.

mmm... answering my own questions now.
wink.gif

------------------
ATJ's Marine Aquarium Site

A

Anonymous

Zoox are intracellulae, in the gastrodermis. The histology slides from Peters in Week 4 shoe their position and are labeled on the slide with a "z"

As for calcium transport, they are not involved. We will get to the movement of calcium from the water inside the coral into the skeleton next week with calcification.

I will look at the log soon, and respond.

If you guys can make it, I'll be in the room tomorrow night and the regular time to make up for tonight....see post

Eric

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: