• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Eric,
When will the reading material be available for this lecture?

Also on another subject,
What is the PCP Complex?
I understand coral produce MAA's,Which cells produce them?
Thanks, Tehlia.

A

Anonymous

Hi Tehlia:

I will contact james about it. Its not long this week, so you shouldn't have a problem..he gave a talk atour aquarium club meeting last night, so he may be a little behind.

So, in answer to your question:

The PCP complex is the Peridinin-chlorophyll-protein complex. Peridinin is a carotenoid that is coupled with chlorophyll in the pigment complex (also including various other pigments)...but the PCP complex acts as a light antenna, so to speak, and the coupling with peridinin as a light gathering pigment allows the coral to utilize a much broader range of light wavelengths than it would using chlorphyll alone - as happens with many other photosynthetic plants.

MAA's are likely produced by the muco-secretory cells of the epidermis.

Eric

A

Anonymous

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Eric,
When will the reading material be available for this lecture?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tehlia and others: How much longer am I going to have to do this for? I think this is a fair question that deserves a definite answer.

Cheers
James Wiseman

------------------
Reefs.org Channel Operator

[This message has been edited by jamesw (edited 08 May 2001).]

A

Anonymous

James,
I understand the amount of work the scanning requires but believe me I would much prefer to have the book under my nose. We have inquired so many times as to "how long" and receive the smae old answer, "it's on the way". The last I heard was they have received from the publisher and it has left, so I presume another couple of weeks.
I have based alot of my learning from the scans of Aquarium Corals, thank you for the time required.
Tehlia.

A

Anonymous

James,
I am in the same boat as Tehlia. I have had Aquarium Corals on order since mid February and I have already paid for it. I regularly ask the supplier where the book is and don't really get a satisfactory answer. There is no really quick way for us to get the book downunder.

I appreciate Eric's and your frustration in having to scan the books, but I would rather read the actual book than read it as a PDF.

------------------
ATJ's Marine Aquarium Site

[This message has been edited by ATJ (edited 08 May 2001).]

A

Anonymous

Bah, I don't mind helping out... as long as I get to complain about it...
smile.gif

James

------------------
Reefs.org Channel Operator

A

Anonymous

Hey people...why don't we all chip in and buy a couple copies of AC (Eric could get a discount, I'm sure) and send them to Tahlia and Andrew. I'm shure they would reimburse us. Any body game?
D*ckT

A

Anonymous

D1CK,
Good suggestion. The main problem is the time it takes to ship books from the US to Oz. Normal shipping takes about 6 weeks. To ship by airmail is quite expensive. I have been quoted as much as US$40 to ship one book.

Of course, OzBooks been honest about how long the book would take back in February, I would have cancelled the order and got mine from Champion Lighting or Premium Aquatics. Even with 6 weeks shipping I would have got the book before April.

I appreciate the offer, though.
biggrin.gif

------------------
ATJ's Marine Aquarium Site

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the offer ****, what lovely fellow students we have.
As Andrew has mentioned it would take to long to get here. I would even have paid the extra shipping cost as priority but I keep getting told Iit will arrive shortly so I patiently wait...wait and wait.
Tehlia

------------------
Tehlia

A

Anonymous

Hey Lach,
Where have you been?, I thought you had fallen off the face of the earth, welcome back.
Tehlia.

A

Anonymous

Tehlia,
Ive been around...travelling for work, and rarely with internet access, so I haven't been attending the lectures. I'm up to date with the reading, just need to get stuck into the assignment.

Give me a call about selco anyway

0407 866 067

Lock

A

Anonymous

Hey guys.....dont forget me...I'm in OZ too. I dont know when my book is due. I haven't bothered checking with the supplier because I knew Tehlia and ATJ were having trouble.

Lock

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: