• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Perhaps it is just me, but I am getting frustrated by the inconsistant use of terminology in our texts.

Some examples: In EIS, Tomascik, et al, provide a definition of coelenteron and refer the reader to fig. 7.5. Figure 7.5 is modified from Barnes (1980) and the term gastrovascular cavity is used. Coelenteron does not even appear in the diagram. My copy of Barnes (1974) only ever uses the term gastrovascular cavity. The Cnidarian Bauplan uses both terms interchangably.

EIS uses the terms ectoderm and endoderm when talking about the outer and inner cell layers. Accroding to my Dictionary of Biology and The Cnidarian Bauplan these are embryonic germ layers which give rise to epidermis and gastrodermis in adults.

These are but a few examples and others include:
* mesoglea versus mesenchyme
* cnida versus nematocyst
* hermatypic versus zooxanthellate

As I said, it's probably just me, but I find it hard enough to remember all the terms as it is that when a bunch of extra, pontentially conflicting ones are thrown in, my head hurts.

------------------
ATJ's Marine Aquarium Site

[This message has been edited by ATJ (edited 02 May 2001).]

A

Anonymous

coelenteron = gastric cavity = gastocoele

epidermis = ectoderm
gastrodermis = gastroderm

mesoglea = mesenchyme

zooxanthellate = symbiotic, but does not = hermatypic

nematocyst is a type of cnidae (sing cnida or cnidom) <gg>

yes, its partly preference, partly old v. new terminology....Can't change all that, unfortunately.

But, when these things pop up, ask them here.

Eric

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: