• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anthonys51

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
126   4   0
Just looking to sell some fish to lighten the bio load

Had my fish over a year. Got the bigger rabbitfish as a 2 inch baby it?s about 5 inches now
This fish is an algae eating machine
Fish is free , it does have cloudy eyes

4bca7bf1815a962cf062df278aa619c1.jpg

Will be selling My 2 smaller ones that are about 3 inches for $35 each

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Angelfish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Cloudy eyes could be anything from a bacteria infection, fungus, Ich, or even Flukes, so depending what it is, it could be a problem and may need to be treated.

On most fishes yes, however not on rabbits

Heres a link with people discussing it, as you can see many people have healthy rabbitfish with cloud, I myself have a 12' one who's had cloudy eyes since I got him a year and a half ago and he eats and acts totally normal

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1553765

Last edited:

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
The thread is from 2009 and it's just a few people taking about their fish having something on their eyes. It doesn't prove that it's not some type of parasite or bacteria, just that their fish is living with it just fine. And Rabbitfish and Foxface aren't any different then other fish, if they have something on their eye then it's most likely can be some type of parasite, fungus, bacteria, or even a fluke. You'll find that other fish, like Angels, have similar issues too.

By the way, all of my Rabbitfish and Foxface don't have things on their eyes, their eyes are very clear, so it's not something that happens just with Rabbitfish.

anthonys51

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
126   4   0
The thread is from 2009 and it's just a few people taking about their fish having something on their eyes. It doesn't prove that it's not some type of parasite or bacteria, just that their fish is living with it just fine. And Rabbitfish and Foxface aren't any different then other fish, if they have something on their eye then it's most likely can be some type of parasite, fungus, bacteria, or even a fluke. You'll find that other fish, like Angels, have similar issues too.

By the way, all of my Rabbitfish and Foxface don't have things on their eyes, their eyes are very clear, so it's not something that happens just with Rabbitfish.

If its a disease why has no other fish gotten sick. What are your thoughts on that

I am asking not arguing

Angelfish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The thread has different people all discussing thier rabbits having the same trait or issue and getting along as usual, I don't believe that many people all had bacterial infections or flukes at the same time, certain fish like puffers or groupers have a blueish hue in thier eyes which is natural it's possible some rabbits do as well, I'm not sure why some might have and some not, my yellow spot and magnificent foxfaces never had it but my goldspot does and the op and members on the reefcentral thread had it as well on thier 2 barred

Normally if a fish has cloudy eyes I'd suspect bacterial and start looking for frayed or red fins and open cuts and think about metroplex for thier food, however with rabbits my experience is that none of those are present and the fish is fine months later the ops and those other guys @ rc have the same

To each thier own but I dont think the fish needs treatment or is sickly, it's possible there's some kind of parasite that doesn't kill it's host and targets rabbits but I doubt it, I keep several tangs a clown and a wrasse with my goldspot and none show any signs

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
It may not be a disease just a fungus or a bacteria that is just growing on the one fish eyes, and is just common to that type of fish. Similar to how say a Hippo tang comes down with Ich, or what looks like Ich, and no other fish in the tank gets it. It's very common for certain things only to target certain fish or animals. A lot of fish, when stress or even pushing back against another fish, you'll see their eyes look a little cloudy, you see this with Triggers a lot.

anthonys51

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
126   4   0
Sounds reasonable. I also have 2 smaller 2 barred rabbits in abouther frag Tank same system and there eyes are fine. Although I added them 8 months after the first one got cloudy eyes. Also this first rabbit grew a lot faster. I mean in 6 months it doubled in size while the others are about the same size as I got them. I did have it in my frag tank refugium for the first 3 months eating nothing but macro algae. Not sure if that makes a difference

Like I said Fish is free. If you have s 180 gallon tank or bigger and need an algae eating machine. This big guy is for you

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
The thread has different people all discussing thier rabbits having the same trait or issue and getting along as usual, I don't believe that many people all had bacterial infections or flukes at the same time, certain fish like puffers or groupers have a blueish hue in thier eyes which is natural it's possible some rabbits do as well, I'm not sure why some might have and some not, my yellow spot and magnificent foxfaces never had it but my goldspot does and the op and members on the reefcentral thread had it as well on thier 2 barred

Normally if a fish has cloudy eyes I'd suspect bacterial and start looking for frayed or red fins and open cuts and think about metroplex for thier food, however with rabbits my experience is that none of those are present and the fish is fine months later the ops and those other guys @ rc have the same

To each thier own but I dont think the fish needs treatment or is sickly, it's possible there's some kind of parasite that doesn't kill it's host and targets rabbits but I doubt it, I keep several tangs a clown and a wrasse with my goldspot and none show any signs

And once again the thread doesn't say that what they have on their eyes isn't some type of fungus or bacteria infection, just that they have something on their eyes.

There is a big difference when a fish gets a hue over it's eyes, which usually is when a fish is stressed or is pushing up against another fish, and a fish having a film over its eye all the time. There is a good chance that it has some type of bacteria or fungus that is just attacking it's eye and is very common to Rabbitfish and Foxfaces. It's also very common that most fish can and do live with these things without any issues.

Two of your fish don't have it and none of my mine don't either, so it's not something that all of them do get. In this case the fish may be fine, you just need to take sure because it could be something more.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Sounds reasonable. I also have 2 smaller 2 barred rabbits in abouther frag Tank same system and there eyes are fine. Although I added them 8 months after the first one got cloudy eyes. Also this first rabbit grew a lot faster. I mean in 6 months it doubled in size while the others are about the same size as I got them. I did have it in my frag tank refugium for the first 3 months eating nothing but macro algae. Not sure if that makes a difference

Like I said Fish is free. If you have s 180 gallon tank or bigger and need an algae eating machine. This big guy is for you

Yes, Rabbitfish grow really fast, not to mention get a lot larger than most people think. I like them a lot, very hardy and do very well.

anthonys51

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
126   4   0
I would say 18 months with no other fish getting it safe. But that?s up to each individual person. I won?t tell you how to qt or treat your tank. It?s your tank you have to decide that
Also it might be how the 2 barred is collected also. Just because they all don?t get it doesn?t mean this species might be more prone to infection

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
99   0   0
I?ve had a 2 barred for 5 yrs can?t catch the thing to save my life it?s super cautious when I try fish trap and mine is healthy eye on him does seem to be little cloudy but always figured it was normal for that fish because it?s healthy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: