• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

DrDave

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Now that I begining to stock my tank with corals which are mushrooms, buttons, two stony coral species unknown. What, how and when do you feed these guys. Also what mineral suppliments are recommend to give to them. There are tons of different mineral and suppliments available on the net for purchase. Don't know where to start. Please clarify this huge question. There must be different opinions on what people feed their coral. Would like to know my options.

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
I add a 2 part system. B-Ionic by ESV. That is almost everything you need(As far as trace elements). I also add calcium(B-ionic has calcium, but my tank needs more). Thats it...

Then, what im listing here is optional, ive been told its unneccesary...
I add phytoplankton and zooplankton, made by KENT(phytomax, etc..) everyday on a rotating schedule, 1 of them a day(what ever is recommended for my tank size). Also, brine shrimp when ever i get motivated to hatch them(plus selcon), but this is for the fish also.
People on this site have said that is a waste...but I like it.
Some corals require food(meat) and those I target fed, or they catch food when I feed the tank.
Almost every coral can catch a mysis shrimp and eat it, zoas, LPS, etc.

Hope this helps.

SIReefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
Dosing: 2 part C-Balance daily.
Feeding: Tank has Shrooms, Zoas, Softies, LPS & SPS & feed nothing.
I believe they get enough nutrition from leftovers when feeding the fish.
As is said many times on this board, If you don't test for it, don't add it.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Water changes adds trace elements, no need to add more stuff into the tank if your doing your water changes! I was dosing B-Ionics 2 part, swithching to Randy's 2 part. I target feed cyclopeeze to blastos, suncorals, plate coral, brains,acans,rics, echinata, candy canes, others get food from the fish left overs. I also throw in a little freeze dried phytoplankton every now and then.

SI REEF

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 95.5%
63   3   0
I feed my coral DT's phyoplankton in the morning and feed cyclopeeze at night.
I use a cal reactor but the esv works well too.
Make sure you have a good skimmer and I do a 10% water change every other week.
Use a good test kit for cal, alk and check your phosphates often. Salifert makes a good test kit.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: