Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i wanted to add more dry sand to my tank is it ok to add dry sand and mix it with the existing sand ?
pic is current status of the aquarium
CA0326DC-3942-4F98-BA5C-C406A92CBC0F.jpeg

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you want more sand? IMO it's fine as it is - maybe just need to move it around so it's more evenly distributed. In my experience the deeper the sandbed the harder it is to keep it clean.
hi just because I take the look. but beside the point why the question is it ok to add dry rock or not ?

LongIslandAndy

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
IMO it's fine to add dry rock if it's new rock, if it is used rock that had dried out it might release a bunch of decaying matter and mess up your bio load
If you want to add dry sand rinse it put it in a plastic bag lower it to the bottom, slit the bag and let it come out slowly hth

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
In the past, I’ve always rinsed the sand and followed the bag method. I’ve done it both with dry and live sand. I suggest also turning off your return pump/wave makers during the process, and doing a water change soon afterwards.

Regarding dry rock, I don’t suggest adding any directly to the tank and suggest that you “cycle” it outside. This can be done with tank water, after a water-change, and a power head.

If you have tests you can test the water before for a baseline and prior to adding to the tank.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: