• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

bckane

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok bought a AQUARIUM 110GPD RO+DI REVERSE OSMOSIS FILTER from filterdirect. after about a day my glass is bright green. I clean the glass off and its back the next day. I didnt have this problem before I was using the machine REVERSE OSMOSIS water $.030 a gallon in front of the stores. Im topping off the water everyday and doing a 3% water chage on the weekend............Is this green normal with this unit.???

BTW this is the unit I bought:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5&tc=photo

paats

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to check the water quality coming out of the unit.A lot of folks use tds meters to do this,I don`t own one yet so I use a phosphate test kit to make sure my filter is working properly.You really can`t make a call on this til you know your water is good coming out of your new filter.

bckane

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
paats":34o1cef1 said:
You need to check the water quality coming out of the unit.A lot of folks use tds meters to do this,I don`t own one yet so I use a phosphate test kit to make sure my filter is working properly.You really can`t make a call on this til you know your water is good coming out of your new filter.

Just ordered the TBS meter from filterdirect...should be here in a few days

Dcast

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also test your tap water, depending on how bad that it will depend on how much the RO filter will be able to remove...

Dcast

bckane

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dcast":2sb5jxfe said:
Also test your tap water, depending on how bad that it will depend on how much the RO filter will be able to remove...

Dcast
I will check back with the results

hillbilly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The DI part of your unit may not be working properly. In general, a DI unit will clean up all but the nastiest water.

bckane

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hillbilly":34qbkt1b said:
The DI part of your unit may not be working properly. In general, a DI unit will clean up all but the nastiest water.
I should get my tds meter tomorrow....then I will see whats going on I hope.:(

jims47

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's interesting, I purchased a 6 stage unit from Aquasafe(Canada) and it only drops my phosphate by a half point. Using Red Sea kit.
Plain Tap Water= >2.0
RO/DI water= 1.5
RO/DI + Instant Ocean aged mix = 1.5
Tank = 2.0 some of it is due to my over feeding(dang it) but I sure am disapointed the RO/DI unit didn't remove all phosphate, especially since it only has about 23 gals run through it.
Other parameters taken today:
Temp: 80
Salinety: 1.22
Phos.:2.0
Calcium: 400
PH: 8.2
Alk: High(only says low normal high)
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0.5 (just about 0 but I err on the next higher number)
Ammonia: 0
dKH: 13 or 232.7 ppm

bckane

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok just recieved my TDS meter from filter direct....
My tap water:...149ppm
DI/RO water......000ppm
so the water checks out ok

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: