• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

B

Blue Indigo

Hi everyone! New to the hobby, but very excited! I was looking for some help in selecting a filter. I have read many books and article and am still a little unsure of what type of filer to start with. I have a 55 gallon tank and was going to set it up with about 40 lbs. of live rock and add some live sand. I have also purchased a protein skimmer. Was going to start off with fish only (maybe a cleaner shrimp) for now. Until I gain some experience and confidence. I would sometime down the road get into corals. Can you please help me choose a filter for my set up? Do I go with a hang on like an Emporer 400. Do a choose a canister filter like a Fluval 304? A wet/dry model? So many choices and unsure what would work best. Thanks for any advice.

Rikko

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No filter necessary.
In essense a protein skimmer is the only filter that exists for ANY aquarium - everything else doesn't filter anything OUT of the system, it just converts it chemically. The skimmer in conjunction with your live rock will provide all the filtration you need, provided responsible feeding and stocking.
Do a search for "nitrate factory" and you'll quickly see why traditional bio filters aren't used that much for reefkeeping.
Do a little searching under the Berlin method of reefkeeping/Berlin methodologies and you'll see what we're mostly about. Modern North American reefkeeping typically uses a Berlin hybrid system, but the principles about live rock and skimming remain intact.

I'd suggest letting it run as is for a couple weeks, and if the water parameters stay stable, add a small cleanup crew (some snails, anyways. Hermits if you like them - a lot of folks don't trust them in their tanks). If they fare well, you could probably add your first fish within a month or so. Just move slowly. The only thing you really need in this hobby to succeed is patience.

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Blue and :welcome:

I'll second what Rikko said - you don't really need the hang-on or the canister filter. IMO you're better-off saving the money you'd have spent on those and investing it in a quality skimmer.

blastermqn

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In essense a protein skimmer is the only filter that exists for ANY aquarium

What he said.

Mechanical or even chemical filters in marine tanks can often do more harm than good. Yeah, they pull junk out of the water, but it doesn't go anywhere. Just decays faster thanks to more water flow, and the decay products cause more harm than what's being filtered.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do keep a Magnum HOT (canister filer) around for emergency use, like if I want to run carbon heavy on a tank for a 24 hr period. I also have 2 or 3 old HOB (hang on back) filters for like quarantine tank use, or emergency extra waters changes.

Otherwise I rely on the skimmer and use power heads for water movement if needed.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: