• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

pedalpower

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to install Hamilton's retrofit 250w/96w PC in my canopy, but I'm not sure how would you install the lense? Should it be big enough to go across the entire canopy or should you box in your lights and just have the lense cover the width of your reflector? If I do box it in can it be with wood or would it be too hot of an area?

Thanks!!

Mikef1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, is your 250 a double end MH or single? If it isnt a double end personally I wouldnt use a lense under the bulb. If they are DE you should be able to just put the lense under the reflector. I didnt really understand you question very well so if I answered it wrong describe it to me again.

pedalpower

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bulbs are SE. I guess what I'm getting at is do the lights need to be enclosed similiar to the hooded design not only for UV protection but just in case a bulb would blow/shatter.

J.Howard

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am installing a retro with 2 400w SE MH's and will be ensuring that the MH bulbs are protected from splashing. (a simple sheet of acrylic or glass between the bulb(s) and water from the local hardware store is cheap insurance) As long as you have enough space between the bulbs and the water/corals UV isn't nearly as big an issue as losing a $60-$90 bulb due to the occasional accidental splash.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: